HD Surround Vision

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giannid1969

Hi, all,

Just picked up a 2021 Bolt EV Premier Oasis Blue last week. Definitely one of the reason for me to go Premier was surround vision.

I have a question to which I cannot find an answer, AND I haven't actually seen anyone else ask.

Can I get the image of the car on the surround vision screen to match my car?

It seems that you can have it be any color as long as you want Silver Ice Metallic.

Is it really the case that I can't get the right color? It is a little... odd... because on all of the camera views where I can see my actual car, the color of the car is correct, but on the "overhead view", it is someone else's car.

Minor detail; not really important; a "nice touch" that I thought would be easy to implement.

Thanks

Its been that way since 2017. The car you see in that view is like an icon, or sprite, its a generic car shown by the computer not actually seen by any camera. The other camera views like front and rear parking camera can see your actual bumper, hence it being the correct color.

To some degree Chevy may prefer it this way. perhaps they don't want you to literally believe you can see the top of your own car lest you sue them when you leave your briefcase on top of the car but you can't see it in the 360 view, or maybe they are just lazy.

Either way, take advantage of it. When you have a noob in your car its just another way to have fun with them... some people are going to say "wow thats so cool - where is the camera" - at which point you explain there is a sateliite that tracks your car. When they ask how its working in a parking garage, tell them its a high band radar, similar to x rays - that's why the color of the car is off... Eventually they will figure it out and you'll have a good laugh - maybe. Depends on your friends.

Tttait said:
... some people are going to say "wow thats so cool - where is the camera" - at which point you explain there is a sateliite that tracks your car. When they ask how its working in a parking garage, tell them its a high band radar, similar to x rays - that's why the color of the car is off... Eventually they will figure it out and you'll have a good laugh - maybe. Depends on your friends.
When I told my grandson that my own personal satellite is tracking me, he asked: "But Papa, what happens when you go into a tunnel!?!"

Then he put his hand out of the window and figured it out! :D

Back