EVGo announces a new partnership with GM for 5 year tripling of stations

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoltEV

I just received the following email from EVGo:

Did you see the exciting news?! We are tripling the size of our public fast charging network over the next five years – adding more than 2,700 public fast chargers in 40 metro areas through a partnership with General Motors (GM) to make it even easier to go electric.

EVgo is committed to expediting mass adoption of electric vehicles in the US by creating a convenient, reliable, and affordable EV charging network that delivers fast charging to everyone. We have long worked with automaker partners and other leaders toward making this mission a reality by increasing transportation electrification across the United States.

Today, 115 million Americans live within a 15-minute drive of an EVgo fast charger. Our work with GM will add more stations in cities and towns where EVgo is already present, and bring fast charging to new markets across the country. Like the existing EVgo network, each new fast charger will be powered by 100% renewable energy, strengthening and extending our commitment to a cleaner and greener future for everyone.

Our work is focused on delivering great fast charging services for you, the EV driver, and for future EV drivers. We are committed to making sure that the convenient and reliable fast charging experience 200,000 EVgo customers already enjoy grows to millions as more and more EV models come to market. Click to learn more about why we're working with GM to accelerate the deployment of public EV fast charging infrastructure across the U.S.

Please reach out to EVgo Customer Support if you have questions or need any assistance, 24/7, at [email protected] or 877-494-3833.

More than ever, EVgo is here for you.

Sincerely,
Your Fast Charging Friends at EVgo

https://www.evgo.com/about/news/general-motors-and-evgo-aim-to-accelerate-widespread-ev-adoption-by-adding-fast-chargers-nationwide/

I feel like EVGo is pretty clueless as to EV drivers' actual needs.

Today, 115 million Americans live within a 15-minute drive of an EVgo fast charger.

This fact is practically useless. Unless you cannot charge at home, practically noone charges at a DCFC within 15 minutes of where they live! And if that's the primary way to charge your EV, then EVGo will make sure it costs much more than gasoline while simultaneously being less convenient.

No, we really need DCFC networks to fill in the highway corridors first. Then urban DCFC would be more useful for people visiting a city than those who live there. But if you can't get there to begin with, the point is moot.

On that note, I haven't seen anything about which metro areas are included in that number. I'm guessing they won't be in any city that helps me much.

GetOffYourGas said:
I feel like EVGo is pretty clueless as to EV drivers' actual needs.

Today, 115 million Americans live within a 15-minute drive of an EVgo fast charger.

This fact is practically useless. Unless you cannot charge at home, practically noone charges at a DCFC within 15 minutes of where they live! And if that's the primary way to charge your EV, then EVGo will make sure it costs much more than gasoline while simultaneously being less convenient.

No, we really need DCFC networks to fill in the highway corridors first. Then urban DCFC would be more useful for people visiting a city than those who live there. But if you can't get there to begin with, the point is moot.

On that note, I haven't seen anything about which metro areas are included in that number. I'm guessing they won't be in any city that helps me much.

This is useful for people living in apartments or rental housing where they cannot modify the electrical setup to add a 240V socket. Also, if in a rental house, one can use a DCFC those times when the battery is below 50% and you want (close to) a full charge overnight but only have a 120V outlet in your rental garage.

I seem to recall that over 33% of the U.S. households live in rentals.

What percentage of current (non-Tesla) BEV drivers don't have access to home charging? I'm curious to know. I am willing to bet it is much lower than the national average.

Also, rentals don't preclude charging at home. Many rentals are single-family homes or duplexes around here.

Anyway, I already addressed the biggest problem with your use case: cost. If you are predominantly charging your EV at EVGo stations (because you cannot charge at home), it will be far more expensive than gas. Very few people would pay more for that inconvenience.

I have to agree with SparkE’s cogent statement on this issue.

Anecdotally:

My “full” charge of a mostly depleted battery woukd take 11 hours on my 20A Clipper Creek charger in my garage

When I drove Uber full time before the Pandemic, on average, 5-7 days per month, I would drive out of my local area due to rider preference.

If I wanted a turnaround sooner than 11 hours, I would stop at the EVGo chargers at the Union 76 gas station one mile from my home and do a 30-60 minute charge there, then top off at home

The extra cost of the EVGo was worth the extra hours I was able to drive Uber the next day.

GetOffYourGas said:
Also, rentals don't preclude charging at home. Many rentals are single-family homes or duplexes around here.

They aren't in NYC, or Chicago, or San Francisco. But my point was that you may not have access to 240V at a rental. Charging at 12A/120V is about 1.2W an hour into the battery (assuming around 88% efficiency of the EVSE at 120V). 10 hours of charging would give you 12 kWh a night, 14 would give you around 16.5 kWh. For those days when you need more than that, a DCFC near home allows you to add 20 or 30 kWh fairly quickly. That is why they are useful. If you live in an apartment in a big city, and your garage (if you have one) doesn't have a plug, you can't drive electric without using someone else's charging H/W. So DCFCs *are* useful in cities - for some.

GetOffYourGas said:
Anyway, I already addressed the biggest problem with your use case: cost. If you are predominantly charging your EV at EVGo stations (because you cannot charge at home), it will be far more expensive than gas. Very few people would pay more for that inconvenience.

At $0.30 kWh, $1.80 worth of electricity is 6 kWh (EVgo in Calif is currently $0.26/min with a subscription plan). At 4.4 miles per kWh, that is 26 miles. That's better than most SUVs for a gallon of gas. I wouldn't call that "far more expensive than gas". And it's cheaper if you use the 240V (J1772) charging stations. (Heck, there are a ton of free ones around my area.)

Just because you don't live in an apartment doesn't preclude a lot of people from living in apartments. And charging at 120V because you rent the house that you live in can be insufficient at times, so a charger close by (or on the way to work) can be very useful.

GetOffYourGas said:
What percentage of current (non-Tesla) BEV drivers don't have access to home charging? I'm curious to know. I am willing to bet it is much lower than the national average.

If true, maybe that is due to the fact that there haven't been enough public charging stations until recently for those people living in rentals to start considering buying EVs. And now that EVgo (and others) are installing more an more stations in the cities where they live maybe more of them WILL be considering an EV. That's a good thing. More people driving electric.

SparkE said:
At $0.30 kWh, $1.80 worth of electricity is 6 kWh (EVgo in Calif is currently $0.26/min with a subscription plan). At 4.4 miles per kWh, that is 26 miles. That's better than most SUVs for a gallon of gas. I wouldn't call that "far more expensive than gas". And it's cheaper if you use the 240V (J1772) charging stations. (Heck, there are a ton of free ones around my area.)

Ok, but I have not seen EVgo chargers that cost only $0.30/kWh. And nor does the Bolt get a nominal 2.2 mpk.

In NY, EVgo is $0.27/min. The fastest EVgo I have seen in the state is 125A. That's a peak rate of about 43kW. The average charge rate is about 40kW. If you charge past your car's taper, the average is much lower. I have seen average rates as low as 20kW, especially in cold weather. But let's go with 40kW. Keep in mind, that 40kW is the best you will get with EVgo, and the numbers below could easily be twice as expensive.

In an hour, that's 40kW for $16.20, or $0.405/kWh.

The Bolt gets 3.9miles/kWh according to the EPA. You can do better, you can do worse, but let's use that.

That's $0.104 / mile.

Current gas prices in NY range from under $2/gallon to maybe $2.50/gallon. Let's call it $2.25.

To get $0.104 / mile, your car must get 21.6MPG. That's pretty bad.

And again, if you aren't spending the time and effort to keep your car only charging at or near its peak rate, you can easy fall into the range of 11MPG or worse! Who would pay that much for fuel, especially given it is far less convenient than gasoline? This won't be expanding the EV market by much, if at all.

Back