Keeping the 2020 Bolt plugged in

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyInGA

Like its gasoline cousin, going to fill up when needed, I thought that the Bolt only needs to be plugged in for charging when needed. But, in reading the Quick Start Guide, it says, Keep your Bolt plugged in to keep the batteries warm (or something like that).

So, more confusion. Especially, since I don't do a lot of driving. Should it be kept plugged in, even when going a few days without driving?

And, what effect does it have on the Utility bill keeping it plugged in?

Or, should it be only during the cold weather?

Thanks, again.

If you keep it plugged in it's best to limit charge level to 90% or less. Charge up to 100% if you're going to leave soon and you need the extra range.
Once charged, the battery will pull little to no extra power (no effect on utility bill). If it's really cold in the winter, it might pull a few kW for a short period to keep the battery warm. If you're not plugged in, the battery will consume it's own power to keep itself warm and your range will drop as this happens.

theothertom said:
If you keep it plugged in it's best to limit charge level to 90% or less. Charge up to 100% if you're going to leave soon and you need the extra range.
Once charged, the battery will pull little to no extra power (no effect on utility bill). If it's really cold in the winter, it might pull a few kW for a short period to keep the battery warm. If you're not plugged in, the battery will consume it's own power to keep itself warm and your range will drop as this happens.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm not wanting to keep it plugged in all the time, as I don't have a garage, and am in a Duplex community.

But, I can see in the Winter (central Georgia can get pretty cold; had a bit of snow on Christmas 2020)

As a side note for new owners in cold areas (I'm in Chicago), I get a text alert when it hits 0 degrees F that I should keep the car plugged in to prevent battery damage. Now that is a generic warning since the battery, if above 40% SOC, can keep itself warm. But you may have it parked for days at a time. The "alert" doesn't know your specific situation.

But I suspect almost all of us early EV owners can charge easily at home or work. The problem is going to be when regular folks get a bunch of EV's on the used market and 30 of them that can only street park a block from their home get that alert and panic.

Back