California: Los Angeles to Belden, CA

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigwich

Around 4th of July I'm looking to road trip from LA to Belden, CA, up the 99. It's a 500 mile drive, so at least two fast charge spots. Then from there I'm returning to LA via a visit to Oakland. I'm looking for people's input regarding their favorite fast chargers along the way, and general advice. I may split the trip into two days, since I'm travelling with kids. I will most likely have a Yakima Skybox on the roof, and yes, I'm still pissed that they haven't released OEM crossbars. And I'm well aware that this Skybox is going to hurt, not help my range. The numbers will be fun to look at though, as I've got a few trips to Palm Springs under my belt where we average about 4.1 miles/kWh with nothing on the roof. I used to drive with it on my Spark EV and it looked ridiculous, bud didn't really hurt range that badly if I recall correctly, so I have high hopes.

• How is the Grapevine on battery?
• Any particular chargers to avoid (24kW, notoriously ICED, frequently broken, busy, etc)
• Has anybody used the charger at the Sierra Nevada in Chico? Also a 24kW, so it's gonna be a long lunch...
• And what of RV plugs and big-rig plugs? Is a NEMA 14-50 a pretty safe assumption?
• Any experience with hotels with chargers along the way?

I don't think I can make it from Sacramento to Belden and back again without charging, but there's a good chance I can charge while I'm there, but barring that, it's gonna be a trip to Chico, which is why I ask.

I'd be thrilled to hear anybody's stories about trekking up the 99

Thanks!!

I've done Orange to Fresno a few times and I typically use the DCFC at the Bakersfield Walmart. I would do a 30 minute on the way to Fresno and a 45 minute on the way back (leaving Fresno with 70%). The slow incline out of Bakersfield even before grapevine really pulls down the charge and you don't get a ton back on the quick decline into LA. You get about 20-30 miles back on the decline into Grapevine.

I have also been able to push it to Delano Walmart from Orange once. You get down to about 18% so the DCFC really does charge quick at that low level.

Back