Orange to Las Vegas Roundtrip: BARELY!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 962

TL:DR;
With outside temp at around 104, using A/C and doing 70mph - starting with 100% charge, barely made it to Victorville charging with 3% SOC and 9miles left.

Left from Orange with 100% SOC and with a 30 minute charge in Victorville, that took me back over 80%, made it to Vegas with about 23 miles reported left. Then as I said above it was a hot late afternoon when I left and used A/C and kept it at 70mph all the way until I got to just past Barstow when I started shutting things off. A/C was the first to go, then the scary alert popped up where it said Propulsion has been limited (something to that effect). When that happened I reduced to about 50mph (voluntarily) and just drafted behind a slow semi for the last 3 miles when I shut the infotainment down as well. It was a nail biter for sure.

Sadly the Baker charger has not materialized at all (never actually 'broke ground' physically, https://www.evgo.com/about/news/evgo-breaks-ground-first-public-high-power-electric-vehicle-charging-station-connecting-los-angeles-las-vegas-worlds-tallest-thermometer/ )

wakkoroti said:
Sadly the Baker charger has not materialized at all (never actually 'broke ground' physically, https://www.evgo.com/about/news/evgo-breaks-ground-first-public-high-power-electric-vehicle-charging-station-connecting-los-angeles-las-vegas-worlds-tallest-thermometer/ )

Hey, I just posted about this in the other thread that Michael linked to, but here it is again since it's relevant to your comment:

I contacted EVgo to ask about the status of the Baker station, because press reports had said it would be open by June of this year and there's no sign of it. They responded in detail, explaining that there were some delays in the process since it was turning out to be more expensive than initially planned for. But now they have completed design and engineering, have the permits, and expect to begin construction later this year.

wakkoroti said:
With outside temp at around 104, using A/C and doing 70mph - starting with 100% charge, barely made it to Victorville charging with 3% SOC and 9miles left.

Left from Orange with 100% SOC and with a 30 minute charge in Victorville, that took me back over 80%...

A 30 minute charge got you from 3% to over 80% SOC? That sounds far too good to be true. Typo?

It must be!

My own experience at that DCFC last week arriving there with 3% from Las Vegas, it took me two 30 minute charges to get to about 160 miles.

I may not be remembering this exactly as I wasn't paying too much attention because it was plenty for my remaining 85 mile drive home.

..and 9 miles left. End of the TL:DR; next paragraph is full story.

phil0909 said:
wakkoroti said:

Left from Orange with 100% SOC and with a 30 minute charge in Victorville, that took me back over 80%...

A 30 minute charge got you from 3% to over 80% SOC? That sounds far too good to be true. Typo?

Was not worried about getting there, went totally fine and with 23 miles left on charge, I wasn't worried. Also didn't want to have to charge that long on the way there.

MichaelLAX said:
Do another 30 minute charge in Victorville as I did last week and it will bring you to about 203 miles/96% and make the trip much more comfortable for you!

See a full description of my round trip drive here:

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6876

Back