CA CVRP Rebate Update - More money from program, same-sized rebate, likely delayed a bit longer

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

So here is the latest on the CVRP Rebate, the full details can be found here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB119

Additional funding for the CVRP is found in SB 119. The bill passed the CA legislature and I believe Gov. Brown will sign or has already signed the bill. LegInfo does not confirm this, but some websites have claimed that Gov. Brown has signed the bill already.

In total, $140 million dollars have been allocated to the rebate program which is slightly more than the previous amount. The funds can start to be used as soon as Fiscal Year 2018-2019 starts (Oct. 1, 2017). But a new wrinkle has been added to the rebate program that will likely delay when rebates are handed out. Here is the text from the bill:

The State Air Resources Board shall work with the Labor and Workforce Development Agency to develop procedures for certifying manufacturers of vehicles included in the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project as being fair and responsible in the treatment of their workers.

It is not clear exactly how the automakers will be certified, but this certification must occur first before the new money from the State can be distributed. I think Chevy will probably pass, but it'll be interesting to see if Nissan and Tesla are affected (probably not, but this is a topic for a way different discussion and day).

Good news and thanks for the info, just bought a bolt and submitted the rebate application, I can wait a bit but hoping the new requirement doesn't delay things too much but knowing government it may be well into 2018 before checks start going out again.

Back