Chevy Bolt races Golf GTI and wins

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

Short little video but wanted to share it on the Chevy Bolt Forum.

They race 3 times, and the Bolt EV wins 2 out of 3.

The Golf is a 2.0 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder but it's hard to get consistent results... when they start evenly the Bolt pulls away quickly. The GTI is rated at having a faster 0-60mph time but the Bolt was catching up.

https://youtu.be/g6S68MYcmck

According to MotorTrend the Bolt EV is rated at 6.3 seconds for 0-60mph, and the GTI is 6 seconds for 0-60 mph.

Whichever car got the better start won. When both started about together, the Bolt won. This is a classic example of the 'EV Advantage.' With no shifting or clutching, it's easier to get the fastest possible 0-whatever time from an EV. IF the Golf driver had dropped the clutch right as the starter's arm fell, the Golf would probably have won two races.

klaus said:
According to MotorTrend the Bolt EV is rated at 6.3 seconds for 0-60mph, and the GTI is 6 seconds for 0-60 mph.

Also according to Motor Trend, a VW GTI does a 14.5 second quarter mile @ 96.7 mph. They list the Bolt at 14.9 seconds @ 93.1 mph. 0.4 seconds doesn't sound like much, but in drag racing it isn't even close. The VW wins by ~3 car lengths.

I've watched a few of these TFL videos regarding the Bolt. I think the guy has been on one too many GM paid junkets to remain objective. In this case, I suspect the track was shortened in order to give the Bolt a fighting chance. It's sad when the price of integrity is a free buffet at a Holiday Inn Express.

oilerlord said:
klaus said:

Also according to Motor Trend, a VW GTI does a 14.5 second quarter mile @ 96.7 mph. They list the Bolt at 14.9 seconds @ 93.1 mph. 0.4 seconds doesn't sound like much, but in drag racing it isn't even close. The VW wins by ~3 car lengths.

I've watched a few of these TFL videos regarding the Bolt. I think the guy has been on one too many GM paid junkets to remain objective. In this case, I suspect the track was shortened in order to give the Bolt a fighting chance. It's sad when the price of integrity is a free buffet at a Holiday Inn Express.

A lot of drag races are done on 1/8th mile tracks now

Cool!

Great for bragging rights on short tracks.

Based on my experience, the Bolt would probably be at a disadvantage on a 1/4 mi track because the 93 mph limiter would probably kick in b4 reaching the finish line.

Still hoping that someone will come up w/a chip to hack the limiter and raise it to at least 105. There must be someone w/the skills to do that and I'd be willing to pay up to $500 for the hack.

Any takers? It's an open offer.

LOL!!

sgt1372 said:
Based on my experience, the Bolt would probably be at a disadvantage on a 1/4 mi track because the 93 mph limiter would probably kick in b4 reaching the finish line.

Still hoping that someone will come up w/a chip to hack the limiter and raise it to at least 105.

That's a fair point. The Motor Trend result showed the speed at the end of the 1/4 mi at 93.1 mph, and as such, all bets are off. Out of curiosity, with AC off, flat road, cruising at 90 mph, what is your miles/kWh number?

oilerlord said:
That's a fair point. The Motor Trend result showed the speed at the end of the 1/4 mi at 93.1 mph, and as such, all bets are off. Out of curiosity, with AC off, flat road, cruising at 90 mph, what is your miles/kWh number?

I never drive at a sustained cruising speed of 93. Usually, I only reach that speed when accelerating onto the freeway or passing a car (or cars) that are in my way. Then I cut it back to my normal cruising speed of around 75-85, which of course varies depending on traffic.

After a long drive on the freeway combined w/some city driving, I usually usually get around 3.2 m/kwh but I've seen the gauge drop to as low as 2.7 in the interim when I'm cruising at over 80 on short freeway only drives.

This "mileage" is confirmed when I fully recharge the battery which now gives me a mid-rage estimate of around 190 miles or almost exactly 3.2 m/kwh.

Thanks. The possibility exists that I may end up picking up a depreciated-out Bolt six years from now. I'm not a big fan of how the cargo area is smaller in favor of more rear passenger legroom, and yeah, those seats; but there are workarounds for both. All of the little niggles may be a small price to pay for 180 miles of range at 80 mph in summer with AC on, and being able to blast as much heat as I want in winter when it's -20C. Worst case, the car should absolutely positively return 120 miles / 2 mpkWh.

The Bolt smokes the GTI.

Important detail: the Bolt had 120 miles of range left.
So 50% battery state of charge.

My Bolt is WAY peppier with a 100 % charge on the battery. My 0-60 times are noticably reduced at 80% and way slower below 50%.

Does not affect normal driving.
Normal driving requires about 40 kw to accelate.
60 kw is brisk acceleration.

I'm only saying:

Max output at 100% SOC is 160 kw.
Max output at 80% SOC might be 150 kw.
Max output at 60% SOC might be 140 kw and so on.

I have not actually measured, but I get noticiable drops in PEAK output very early on.

Back