Rent A Chevrolet Bolt For Just $99 A Week, Or Even For Free

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggle

http://insideevs.com/rent-a-chevrolet-bolt-for-just-99-a-week-or-even-for-free/

This article should excite chevy bolt ev forum members.

Remember that Chevrolet Bolt, Lyft news from awhile back? If not, it can be simply summarized as follows:

“General Motors and ride-sharing partner, Lyft, are in the process of expanding the Express Drive vehicle access program to include Colorado and California. Lyft drivers will become some of the first to enjoy the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV.”

“San Francisco is targeted for summer 2016, with Los Angeles to follow in the fall. Denver will be added to the program by the fall as well. The cities will have access to the country’s largest electric ride-sharing fleet which will include both the new 2016 Chevrolet Volt and, by late fall, the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV.”

Well, apparently there’s a tiny bit more to the story. As Trend In Tech reports:

“Lyft also offer a really good incentive as part of the rental program in that it will only cost you $99 per week to rent the new Chevy Bolt EV and 20 cents per mile if less than 40 rides per week were completed. However, complete over 65 rides or more in one week and the rental is free!”

So, theoretically then you could get a Chevrolet Bolt for free it appears, provided you rent it for Lyft purposed and complete 65 rides per week.

Diggle said:
So, theoretically then you could get a Chevrolet Bolt for free it appears, provided you rent it for Lyft purposed and complete 65 rides per week.
In other words, you can get it for free if you work your butt off...

65 rides per week to get the Bolt EV for free? How is anyone gonna get anything done if they give other people 65 rides?

Rivu said:
65 rides per week to get the Bolt EV for free? How is anyone gonna get anything done if they give other people 65 rides?

At that point, working for Lyft is basically a full-time job. But I guess that's the point. If your job is working for Lyft, you can get a Bolt for free. Pretty sweet deal for a small group of people.

GetOffYourGas said:
At that point, working for Lyft is basically a full-time job. But I guess that's the point. If your job is working for Lyft, you can get a Bolt for free. Pretty sweet deal for a small group of people.
If you treat it like a job with a 40 hr week you're looking at 1.5+ rides an hour. I have no idea how feasible that is.

I went to the Lyft site, and even if the rental is "free", you pay a per mile fee for personal use (I think that even includes getting to your fare pickup locations).

65 rides per week for how long? Or do they get to use Bolt for free as long as they keep giving the rides? That's a full-time job and then some!

We're all pretty much work on our butt off so free sounds like an awesome deal

Here's the program (as I understand it):

Personal miles will always be charged - probably @$.20-.25/mile, but varies based on city

If you do <40 rides in a week, it's $99 to rent plus $.20/mile while driving for Lyft
If you do 40-64 rides in a week, it's $99, but no mileage charge while carrying passengers
If you do 65+ in a week, they drop the $99 rent charge for that week.

SeanNelson said:
Diggle said:

Yeah. This is insane! Who'd want such a deal?

Diggle said:
SeanNelson said:
Diggle said:

Not me! I'd rather buy a Chevy Bolt than work all week driving people around.

Diggle said:
SeanNelson said:
Diggle said:

Are there no full-time Lyft drivers anywhere in the world? It seems like any dense urban environment could support a number of full-time drivers.

GetOffYourGas said:
Are there no full-time Lyft drivers anywhere in the world? It seems like any dense urban environment could support a number of full-time drivers.
I have no doubt there are full time Lyft drivers who would welcome the terms of use for the Bolt and manage to generate enough business to get one for free. But that's not the issue we're discussing here. We're discussing Bolt wanna-be owners whose eyes are bulging at the thought of getting a Bolt for free without thinking through the consequences of what it would take to qualify.

Don't forget they'll still be paying $.20/mile for personal miles - which is anytime they are not actually carrying a fare (including miles traveled to pick up the fare).

Probably be $100 to $200 a month for most drivers.

SeanNelson said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I have no doubt there are full time Lyft drivers who would welcome the terms of use for the Bolt and manage to generate enough business to get one for free. But that's not the issue we're discussing here. We're discussing Bolt wanna-be owners whose eyes are bulging at the thought of getting a Bolt for free without thinking through the consequences of what it would take to qualify.

In other words, those who misunderstood the press release. Fair enough. However, the pendulum seems to be swinging too far the other way, almost accusing GM of misleading us into thinking we can get a Bolt for free. That was never the case either. This is a promotional program aimed at Lyft drivers. And we know that Lyft drivers are a large target audience for the Bolt. I'm just trying to make sure we keep that in mind.

GetOffYourGas said:
Diggle said:
SeanNelson said:

How do they make it work really? Do the full-time drivers get paid or anything? Or do they drive people around all week just for the sake of the car?

Rivu said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Diggle said:

How do they make it work really? Do the full-time drivers get paid or anything? Or do they drive people around all week just for the sake of the car?

Sorry, I don't know much about their process. I'm sure someone else could explain though.

Back