The Chevy Bolt Requires Little Maintenance

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam

Not only do electric vehicles cost literally cents per kilometre to drive, but they also revolutionise car servicing. The maintenance schedule for Chevrolet's soon to be launched Bolt electric hatchback comprises tire rotation every 12,000 km (7,500 miles) and that's about it until a coolant system flush @ 240,000 km (150,000 miles). If every set of new tires fitted includes an accurate wheel alignment then rotation can be skipped which means the Bolt requires practically zero maintenance.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. What goes unsaid is that in EV applications electric motors practically last forever. The international standard for rating motor insulation is based on a half life of 20,000 hours. For every 10c increase in insulation rating life expectancy doubles. ...

Full article http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/

BoltSchedule.JPG

This is what I love about EVs....I can't stand driving a regular car anymore. No hassles, no maintenance, no gas, no headaches.

Why do EV people insist on writing this kind of nonsense? It's just ruins the credibility of EV people. Then the public views EV people as "nuts".

There is no such thing as a zero maintenance car. Low maintenance. Yes. Zero. No.

Things that need to be maintained:
tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
door, hood, and trunk hinge lubrication
light bulbs
shock absorbers
brake pads (inspection as a minimum)
paint finish polish
interior and exterior cleaning
passenger compartment air filter
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

My Mercedes EV burst a hose that leads from the washer fluid reservoir to the rear window. It probably froze because the washer fluid that the dealer supplied wasn't rated for the -6F temperature we had a few days ago. Not covered under warranty because I imported the car from the US, and MB Canada doesn't recognize the US warranty.

My "zero maintenance" EV cost me $312 today.

Michael1 said:
Why do EV people insist on writing this kind of nonsense? It's just ruins the credibility of EV people. Then the public views EV people as "nuts".

There is no such thing as a zero maintenance car. Low maintenance. Yes. Zero. No.

tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
light bulbs
shock absorbers
paint finish polish
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

Because you have to consider it as a comparison to a regular car. The biggest gripes people have are oil changes and filling fuel.

Light bulbs? Really?

Michael1 said:

tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
light bulbs
shock absorbers
paint finish polish
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

While I would never claim that EVs are "zero" maintenance, they are certainly "low" maintenance. This list is just digging at any little thing. You are basically going to the opposite extreme here.

Things I have NEVER had to touch, that you list as regular maintenance items:
light bulbs
shock absorbers

Then there are these:
paint finish polish (wax?)

You think that washing your car needs to be spelled out?

I guess to be correct, the thread should be call out "Scheduled Maintenance". Things that occur at a set mileage or time period like oil changes, spark plugs, timing belts, etc.

Replacement of wear items like tires and wiper blades (and light bulbs) will never be on the schedule.

Repair of a broken part is just that - repair (not maintenance). Washing, cleaning and waxing? - in reality optional and a matter of personal preference as to frequency and thoroughness.

As with all forum debates, the truth is found somewhere in the middle. This also comes up a lot on EV forums:

"With solar panels, you can charge your car for free" It's a misleading half-truth that is supposed to invoke "Wow, that's cool", and "Sign me up", but that's when the reality of the expense of PV modules, inverters, racking, wiring, installation, and permits sets in. If I buy $150 of diesel, I can drive my other car from Arizona to Alberta for "free" too.

Even though an electric motor is an order of magnitude less complex and more reliable than any combustion engine, that isn't necessarily the case for the rest of the car. They are cars. S-happens. There is very little maintenance involved but people should be aware that the most expensive part of the car - the main traction battery - does require some level of care & attention.

I think Michael got a little twitchy because he's heard the "Zero Maintenance" misnomer one too many times. That happens to me too.

My new tracking solar array will cost out at $2800 after the 30% fed tax credit ROI 2-3 years, to charge my new Bolt. I have an array that has been operational for four years and has paid for it's self so I am getting free electricity. Oh by the way it has inverters, racking, wire, fused cut offs, junction boxes etc, this is reality in action.

leodoggie said:
My new tracking solar array will cost out at $2800 after the 30% fed tax credit ROI 2-3 years, to charge my new Bolt. I have an array that has been operational for four years and has paid for it's self so I am getting free electricity. Oh by the way it has inverters, racking, wire, fused cut offs, junction boxes etc, this is reality in action.

So your Bolt is going to home during the day when the sun is shining?

GetOffYourGas said:
Michael1 said:

tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
light bulbs
shock absorbers
paint finish polish
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

While I would never claim that EVs are "zero" maintenance, they are certainly "low" maintenance. This list is just digging at any little thing. You are basically going to the opposite extreme here.

light bulbs
shock absorbers

Then there are these:

If you read my post, I never said "regular maintenance items"

My scheduled maintenance book say to lube the hinges.

My maintenance book says to polish the paint to keep the shine up.

You've never had a light bulb burn out?

You never clean your car?

Anyone who has ever owned a car, knows they require maintenance beyond the engine. So as soon as EV people say "zero maintenance", people know they are lying. They sound like used car salesmen. At that point, any virtue of EV's is not to be believed.

Second, there are regular scheduled maintenance items, so the entire thing is BS.

Michael1 said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Michael1 said:

tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
light bulbs
shock absorbers
paint finish polish
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

light bulbs
shock absorbers

Then there are these:

If you read my post, I never said "regular maintenance items"

My scheduled maintenance book say to lube the hinges.

My maintenance book says to polish the paint to keep the shine up.

You've never had a light bulb burn out?

You never clean your car?

Anyone who has ever owned a car, knows they require maintenance beyond the engine. So as soon as EV people say "zero maintenance", people know they are lying. They sound like used car salesmen. At that point, any virtue of EV's is not to be believed.

Second, there are regular scheduled maintenance items, so the entire thing is BS.

LOL...dude you really need to relax. Most people don't lift a finger to do regular maintenance so if they don't need to go to a dealer to get their oil changed or plugs changed, to them that's zero maintenance. You simply cannot count wear and tear items as regular maintenance which is implied when they say zero maintenance.

JupiterMoon said:
LOL...dude you really need to relax. Most people don't lift a finger to do regular maintenance so if they don't need to go to a dealer to get their oil changed or plugs changed, to them that's zero maintenance. You simply cannot count wear and tear items as regular maintenance which is implied when they say zero maintenance.

OK Dude. Geez, another troll.

Michael1 said:
JupiterMoon said:

OK Dude. Geez, another troll.

Uhhhh please don't call me a troll. If you don't like what you read that's really too bad. But don't call people names.

JupiterMoon said:
Most people don't lift a finger to do regular maintenance so if they don't need to go to a dealer to get their oil changed or plugs changed, to them that's zero maintenance. You simply cannot count wear and tear items as regular maintenance which is implied when they say zero maintenance.
The important point here is that consumers who don't do their own maintenance should still expect to visit their dealers on a regular basis and to pay for things that need work. Probably less than for an ICE vehicle, but there is still work that will need to be done.

oilerlord said:
As with all forum debates, the truth is found somewhere in the middle. This also comes up a lot on EV forums:

<span>"With <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=117950&u=964786&m=16774" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Solar Panel</a>s, you can charge your car for free" It's a misleading half-truth that is supposed to invoke "Wow, that's cool", and "Sign me up", but that's when the reality of the expense of PV modules, inverters, racking, wiring, installation, and permits sets in. If I buy $150 of diesel, I can drive my other car from Arizona to Alberta for "free" too.</span>

Even though an electric motor is an order of magnitude less complex and more reliable than any combustion engine, that isn't necessarily the case for the rest of the car. They are cars. S-happens. There is very little maintenance involved but people should be aware that the most expensive part of the car - the main traction battery - does require some level of care & attention.

I think Michael got a little twitchy because he's heard the "Zero Maintenance" misnomer one too many times. That happens to me too.

Once you have used your $150 of diesel it is gone, if you want to make the same journey again you will have to spend another $150. I can keep charging my bolt with my solar system over and over again and after my investment has paid for itself (2-3 years) the electricity is free. That's why it's called renewable energy. My present system has functioned for four years and paid for it's self in three and provides free electricity for my house now.

You seem to have a singular lack of understanding of how renewable energy works, which is puzzling, considering you have solar panels installed at your house.

You may have a hard time believing my ROI of 2-3 years, but I have spent a lot of time acquiring the knowledge and expertise to enable me to design, build and install a system that is so efficient. This information and knowledge is readily available on the internet for those willing to seek it out.

Fitting with this thread.
If the solar system is designed and built well the only maintenance required will be cleaning them every now and then.

leodoggie said:
oilerlord said:

<span>"With <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=117950&u=964786&m=16774" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Solar Panel</a>s, you can charge your car for free" It's a misleading half-truth that is supposed to invoke "Wow, that's cool", and "Sign me up", but that's when the reality of the expense of PV modules, inverters, racking, wiring, installation, and permits sets in. If I buy $150 of diesel, I can drive my other car from Arizona to Alberta for "free" too.</span>

Once you have used your $150 of diesel it is gone, if you want to make the same journey again you will have to spend another $150. I can keep charging my bolt with my solar system over and over again and after my investment has paid for itself (2-3 years) the electricity is free. That's why it's called renewable energy. My present system has functioned for four years and paid for it's self in three and provides free electricity for my house now.

You seem to have a singular lack of understanding of how renewable energy works, which is puzzling, considering you have solar panels installed at your house.

You may have a hard time believing my ROI of 2-3 years, but I have spent a lot of time acquiring the knowledge and expertise to enable me to design, build and install a system that is so efficient. This information and knowledge is readily available on the internet for those willing to seek it out.

Fitting with this thread.
If the solar system is designed and built well the only maintenance required will be cleaning them every now and then.

Question on your calculated ROI - you are comparing against cost of electricity from the grid, right? Some people double-count their EV's lower operating cost and compare it to the gasoline they used to buy. Which is fine, as long as you don't also count it against the TCO of your vehicle.

I could see 2-3 years' payback being true if you did much of the work yourself and live in a sunny location with expensive electricity. My electric costs are about $0.11/kWh, and it's often cloudy or snowy (which cuts off the panels completely). Still, my payback will be less than 10 years. And this is for a system which is warrantied for 25 years. Seems like a good investment, even here.

Excellent question, I live in California and I do all the work myself. The math is much simpler than you think, I just take the difference in cost between filling my tank with gas and charging the Bolt's 60 Kw battery extrapolated for one year. This come to roughly $1000 a year and voila you get a ROI of 2-3 years.

Back