leodoggie
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:17 pm

My new tracking solar array will cost out at $2800 after the 30% fed tax credit ROI 2-3 years, to charge my new Bolt. I have an array that has been operational for four years and has paid for it's self so I am getting free electricity. Oh by the way it has inverters, racking, wire, fused cut offs, junction boxes etc, this is reality in action.

Michael1
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:45 am

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:14 am

leodoggie wrote:My new tracking solar array will cost out at $2800 after the 30% fed tax credit ROI 2-3 years, to charge my new Bolt. I have an array that has been operational for four years and has paid for it's self so I am getting free electricity. Oh by the way it has inverters, racking, wire, fused cut offs, junction boxes etc, this is reality in action.


So your Bolt is going to home during the day when the sun is shining?

Michael1
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:45 am

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:23 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
Michael1 wrote:Why do EV people insist on writing this kind of nonsense? It's just ruins the credibility of EV people. Then the public views EV people as "nuts".

There is no such thing as a zero maintenance car. Low maintenance. Yes. Zero. No.

Things that need to be maintained:
tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
door, hood, and trunk hinge lubrication
light bulbs
shock absorbers
brake pads (inspection as a minimum)
paint finish polish
interior and exterior cleaning
passenger compartment air filter
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.


While I would never claim that EVs are "zero" maintenance, they are certainly "low" maintenance. This list is just digging at any little thing. You are basically going to the opposite extreme here.

Things I have NEVER had to touch, that you list as regular maintenance items:
door, hood, and trunk hinge lubrication
light bulbs
shock absorbers

Then there are these:
paint finish polish (wax?)
interior and exterior cleaning

You think that washing your car needs to be spelled out?


If you read my post, I never said "regular maintenance items"

My scheduled maintenance book say to lube the hinges.

My maintenance book says to polish the paint to keep the shine up.

You've never had a light bulb burn out?

You never clean your car?

Anyone who has ever owned a car, knows they require maintenance beyond the engine. So as soon as EV people say "zero maintenance", people know they are lying. They sound like used car salesmen. At that point, any virtue of EV's is not to be believed.

Second, there are regular scheduled maintenance items, so the entire thing is BS.

JupiterMoon
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:16 am

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Michael1 wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:
Michael1 wrote:Why do EV people insist on writing this kind of nonsense? It's just ruins the credibility of EV people. Then the public views EV people as "nuts".

There is no such thing as a zero maintenance car. Low maintenance. Yes. Zero. No.

Things that need to be maintained:
tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
door, hood, and trunk hinge lubrication
light bulbs
shock absorbers
brake pads (inspection as a minimum)
paint finish polish
interior and exterior cleaning
passenger compartment air filter
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.


While I would never claim that EVs are "zero" maintenance, they are certainly "low" maintenance. This list is just digging at any little thing. You are basically going to the opposite extreme here.

Things I have NEVER had to touch, that you list as regular maintenance items:
door, hood, and trunk hinge lubrication
light bulbs
shock absorbers

Then there are these:
paint finish polish (wax?)
interior and exterior cleaning

You think that washing your car needs to be spelled out?


If you read my post, I never said "regular maintenance items"

My scheduled maintenance book say to lube the hinges.

My maintenance book says to polish the paint to keep the shine up.

You've never had a light bulb burn out?

You never clean your car?

Anyone who has ever owned a car, knows they require maintenance beyond the engine. So as soon as EV people say "zero maintenance", people know they are lying. They sound like used car salesmen. At that point, any virtue of EV's is not to be believed.

Second, there are regular scheduled maintenance items, so the entire thing is BS.


LOL...dude you really need to relax. Most people don't lift a finger to do regular maintenance so if they don't need to go to a dealer to get their oil changed or plugs changed, to them that's zero maintenance. You simply cannot count wear and tear items as regular maintenance which is implied when they say zero maintenance.

Michael1
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:45 am

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:56 pm

JupiterMoon wrote:
LOL...dude you really need to relax. Most people don't lift a finger to do regular maintenance so if they don't need to go to a dealer to get their oil changed or plugs changed, to them that's zero maintenance. You simply cannot count wear and tear items as regular maintenance which is implied when they say zero maintenance.


OK Dude. Geez, another troll.

JupiterMoon
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:16 am

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Michael1 wrote:
JupiterMoon wrote:
LOL...dude you really need to relax. Most people don't lift a finger to do regular maintenance so if they don't need to go to a dealer to get their oil changed or plugs changed, to them that's zero maintenance. You simply cannot count wear and tear items as regular maintenance which is implied when they say zero maintenance.


OK Dude. Geez, another troll.


Uhhhh please don't call me a troll. If you don't like what you read that's really too bad. But don't call people names.

SeanNelson
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:43 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:14 pm

JupiterMoon wrote:Most people don't lift a finger to do regular maintenance so if they don't need to go to a dealer to get their oil changed or plugs changed, to them that's zero maintenance. You simply cannot count wear and tear items as regular maintenance which is implied when they say zero maintenance.

The important point here is that consumers who don't do their own maintenance should still expect to visit their dealers on a regular basis and to pay for things that need work. Probably less than for an ICE vehicle, but there is still work that will need to be done.

leodoggie
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:09 pm

oilerlord wrote:As with all forum debates, the truth is found somewhere in the middle. This also comes up a lot on EV forums:

<span>"With <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=117950&u=964786&m=16774" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Solar Panel</a>s, you can charge your car for free" It's a misleading half-truth that is supposed to invoke "Wow, that's cool", and "Sign me up", but that's when the reality of the expense of PV modules, inverters, racking, wiring, installation, and permits sets in. If I buy $150 of diesel, I can drive my other car from Arizona to Alberta for "free" too.</span>

Even though an electric motor is an order of magnitude less complex and more reliable than any combustion engine, that isn't necessarily the case for the rest of the car. They are cars. S-happens. There is very little maintenance involved but people should be aware that the most expensive part of the car - the main traction battery - does require some level of care & attention.

I think Michael got a little twitchy because he's heard the "Zero Maintenance" misnomer one too many times. That happens to me too.


Once you have used your $150 of diesel it is gone, if you want to make the same journey again you will have to spend another $150. I can keep charging my bolt with my solar system over and over again and after my investment has paid for itself (2-3 years) the electricity is free. That's why it's called renewable energy. My present system has functioned for four years and paid for it's self in three and provides free electricity for my house now.

You seem to have a singular lack of understanding of how renewable energy works, which is puzzling, considering you have solar panels installed at your house.

You may have a hard time believing my ROI of 2-3 years, but I have spent a lot of time acquiring the knowledge and expertise to enable me to design, build and install a system that is so efficient. This information and knowledge is readily available on the internet for those willing to seek it out.

Fitting with this thread.
If the solar system is designed and built well the only maintenance required will be cleaning them every now and then.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:21 pm

leodoggie wrote:
oilerlord wrote:As with all forum debates, the truth is found somewhere in the middle. This also comes up a lot on EV forums:

<span>"With <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=117950&u=964786&m=16774" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Solar Panel</a>s, you can charge your car for free" It's a misleading half-truth that is supposed to invoke "Wow, that's cool", and "Sign me up", but that's when the reality of the expense of PV modules, inverters, racking, wiring, installation, and permits sets in. If I buy $150 of diesel, I can drive my other car from Arizona to Alberta for "free" too.</span>

Even though an electric motor is an order of magnitude less complex and more reliable than any combustion engine, that isn't necessarily the case for the rest of the car. They are cars. S-happens. There is very little maintenance involved but people should be aware that the most expensive part of the car - the main traction battery - does require some level of care & attention.

I think Michael got a little twitchy because he's heard the "Zero Maintenance" misnomer one too many times. That happens to me too.


Once you have used your $150 of diesel it is gone, if you want to make the same journey again you will have to spend another $150. I can keep charging my bolt with my solar system over and over again and after my investment has paid for itself (2-3 years) the electricity is free. That's why it's called renewable energy. My present system has functioned for four years and paid for it's self in three and provides free electricity for my house now.

You seem to have a singular lack of understanding of how renewable energy works, which is puzzling, considering you have solar panels installed at your house.

You may have a hard time believing my ROI of 2-3 years, but I have spent a lot of time acquiring the knowledge and expertise to enable me to design, build and install a system that is so efficient. This information and knowledge is readily available on the internet for those willing to seek it out.

Fitting with this thread.
If the solar system is designed and built well the only maintenance required will be cleaning them every now and then.


Question on your calculated ROI - you are comparing against cost of electricity from the grid, right? Some people double-count their EV's lower operating cost and compare it to the gasoline they used to buy. Which is fine, as long as you don't also count it against the TCO of your vehicle.

I could see 2-3 years' payback being true if you did much of the work yourself and live in a sunny location with expensive electricity. My electric costs are about $0.11/kWh, and it's often cloudy or snowy (which cuts off the panels completely). Still, my payback will be less than 10 years. And this is for a system which is warrantied for 25 years. Seems like a good investment, even here.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier
2021 Mini Cooper SE Signature+

leodoggie
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:58 pm

Excellent question, I live in California and I do all the work myself. The math is much simpler than you think, I just take the difference in cost between filling my tank with gas and charging the Bolt's 60 Kw battery extrapolated for one year. This come to roughly $1000 a year and voila you get a ROI of 2-3 years.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”