GetOffYourGas

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:11 pm

leodoggie wrote:Excellent question, I live in California and I do all the work myself. The math is much simpler than you think, I just take the difference in cost between filling my tank with gas and charging the Bolt's 60 Kw battery extrapolated for one year. This come to roughly $1000 a year and voila you get a ROI of 2-3 years.

Ah, so you do compare to gas rather than electricity. I could go into why I believe this is wrong/misleading, but that's just my opinion. In a nutshell, without the solar panels, the Bolt will still cost less to charge than filling your tank with gas. The benefit of going from gas to electricity is essentially being counted twice.

What matters is that you are happy with your purchase. It will save you money for sure.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier
2021 Mini Cooper SE Signature+

leodoggie

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:24 pm

I am intrigued and always know there are other ways of looking at things. I have not bought my Bolt or built my new system yet, only designed it.

So if my math is in error I would like to find about it sooner rather than later. Please explain my mistake, I will not be offended, I assure you.

wwhitney

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:33 pm

leodoggie wrote:So if my math is in error I would like to find about it sooner rather than later. Please explain my mistake, I will not be offended, I assure you.

I believe the point is that there are 3 situations you are contemplating: (A) your current gas car (B) getting a Bolt and no new solar panels and (C) getting a Bolt and new solar panels.

To decide which is the most economic thing to do, evaluate the cost of each of the three situations and pick the cheapest. But to get the ROI on the solar panels, once you already own a Bolt, you need to compare (C) to (B), not (C) to (A).

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. Could someone fix the title of this thread?

SparkE

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:38 pm

P.S. Could someone fix the posts to this thread, so they match the topic? :mrgreen:

leodoggie

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:47 pm

All excellent points. What I am essentially doing is taking the savings I get from having a Bolt and paying for my solar panels so that in three years I can charge my EV for free.

I agree we have digressed from the thread.

NeilBlanchard

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Michael1 wrote:Why do EV people insist on writing this kind of nonsense? It's just ruins the credibility of EV people. Then the public views EV people as "nuts".

There is no such thing as a zero maintenance car. Low maintenance. Yes. Zero. No.

Things that need to be maintained:
tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
door, hood, and trunk hinge lubrication
light bulbs
shock absorbers
brake pads (inspection as a minimum)
paint finish polish
interior and exterior cleaning
passenger compartment air filter
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

Um - ALL of those things are true for any car - and they are NOT "regular maintenance". Those are wear and tear, and they may or may not be required.

That is what regular maintenance means.

SeanNelson

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:54 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Um - ALL of those things are true for any car - and they are NOT "regular maintenance". Those are wear and tear, and they may or may not be required.

Exactly. Which is why the thread title "They (sic) Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance" is misleading. It does in fact require some maintenance, just not as much as an ICE vehicle.

oilerlord

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:18 am

SparkE wrote:P.S. Could someone fix the posts to this thread, so they match the topic? :mrgreen:

RE: Using Solar to charge your Bolt for free.

Yup needs it's own thread, please post one. I'm sure it will get a lot of attention. The 2-3 year ROI could possibly be your reality in SoCal, but not mine in Alberta.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

Michael1

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:56 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:
Michael1 wrote:Why do EV people insist on writing this kind of nonsense? It's just ruins the credibility of EV people. Then the public views EV people as "nuts".

There is no such thing as a zero maintenance car. Low maintenance. Yes. Zero. No.

Things that need to be maintained:
tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
door, hood, and trunk hinge lubrication
light bulbs
shock absorbers
brake pads (inspection as a minimum)
paint finish polish
interior and exterior cleaning
passenger compartment air filter
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

Um - ALL of those things are true for any car - and they are NOT "regular maintenance". Those are wear and tear, and they may or may not be required.

You're full of it.

Go to page 310 of the Owner's Manual.

SeanNelson

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Michael1 wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:
Michael1 wrote:There is no such thing as a zero maintenance car. Low maintenance. Yes. Zero. No.

Go to page 310 of the Owner's Manual.

...where it says "With trained technicians, the dealer is the place for routine maintenance such as tire rotations and additional maintenance items like tires, brakes, batteries, and wiper blades."

So you guys are having a semantic argument over the meaning of "maintenance", specifically "routine" vs. "additional" as described in the manual.

The problem is, the thread title simply says "Zero Maintenance". It doesn't say "Zero routine maintenance" (which also isn't true). So the title is misleading, hence the debate.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”