Name confusion with Bolt EV and Volt EREV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukestuke

Looks like the name confusion has already started.

When I type 'chevy bolt forum' in google, it says 'Did you mean: Chevy Volt Forum?'

I've also come across a few confusing articles, like this one:
Chevrolet produced a hybrid car that allows car enthusiasts to drive without using gas as the Chevy Bolt electric vehicle can drive an estimated 38 miles on pure electricity.

"For less than the cost of a latte, you can fully charge your Volt and drive an EPA-estimated 38 miles gas-free. Choose a standard 120V charging unit† that allows you to fully charge the battery in about 10 to 16 hours. Or opt for an available 240V charging station that cuts down your charging time to approximately four hours," Chevrolet website stated.

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/79489/20150325/chevy-bolt-electric-vehicle.htm

Happens to me all the time. Chevy Volt has done well and Chevy Bolt is yet to be released. I guess once it's here the problem will lessen.

mark111 said:
Happens to me all the time. Chevy Volt has done well and Chevy Bolt is yet to be released. I guess once it's here the problem will lessen.

I think the problem will actually get worse once you can buy either. Think about discussing your new Bolt with a friend or relative. Or walk into a dealership and ask to see a Bolt.

mark111 said:
I think the problem will actually get worse once you can buy either. Think about discussing your new Bolt with a friend or relative. Or walk into a dealership and ask to see a Bolt.
My intent is to say "Volt" for the Volt and "Bolt EV" for the Bolt. If enough people do that then it will substantially reduce the confusion.

GetOffYourGas said:
mark111 said:

Wow! Gm should've thought about before naming two cars similarly.

The confusion is even worse for native Spanish speakers since in Spanish the spoken V and B sound are essentially the same. I walked into my local Chevy dealership where all the sales staff is Latino and asked about the Bolt. They thought I was asking about the Volt. Those two words sound basically the same to their ear! If you own or are interested in buying either of these cars in California (or any other state with a lot of Spanish speakers), be prepared to spell out the name, slowly, and often.

Of course this confusion doesn't affect the value or attractiveness of the car, but it's a marketing mess Chevy could have easily avoided.

"The Google" (lol) is pretty intuitive. It has used Bolt for me several times when I'm using voice recognition

JimmYK said:
GetOffYourGas said:
mark111 said:

Yeah. They should have. It's hell confusing.

mark111 said:
JimmYK said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Yeah. They should have. It's hell confusing.

Yeah. But I also see the appeal. Bolt is bad ass name.

Thought it might back off the more I logged into the Chevy Bolt forum off my phone but it still always autocorrects to Volt

Back