RECALL

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it's coincidence, but 2 days ago our Bolt "refused" to charge beyond 205 miles, something it has never done before. It's always been 240-255 miles when "fully charged"

Is it possible GM did this over the air ?

Today I was midstream trying to negotiate a price when my salesman told me at 4:15pm they received a "stop sale" order from GM, meaning they couldn't sell me a 2020 Bolt! I haven't tried another dealer yet.

trevmar said:
I don't know if it's coincidence, but 2 days ago our Bolt "refused" to charge beyond 205 miles, something it has never done before. It's always been 240-255 miles when "fully charged"

Is it possible GM did this over the air ?

Hi there. Please know, the software update must be done at a Chevrolet dealership. If you would like our assistance scheduling an appointment with your dealership, feel free to send an email our way to [email protected] with "ATTN: Chevrolet | trevmar | Forum" in the subject line.

Andrea C.

Rocko said:
Today I was midstream trying to negotiate a price when my salesman told me at 4:15pm they received a "stop sale" order from GM, meaning they couldn't sell me a 2020 Bolt! I haven't tried another dealer yet.

We are glad to hear you're interested in the 2020 Bolt EV. Please know, General Motors has decided to voluntarily recall select 2017-2019 model-year Chevrolet Bolt EVs with high voltage batteries produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea facility that may pose a risk of fire when charged to full, or very close to full, capacity. The 2020 Bolt EV uses a different cell design than the vehicles affected by this recall, which enabled us to increase range to 259 miles. With that said, there is a stop sale on all unsold 2017-2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EVs that are part of this recall. Dealers will need to assure the recall repair is completed prior to selling these vehicles. We hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Andrea C.

I am very happy to see ChevyCustomerCare contributing to the site again. (I wish it were under different circumstances).

MyChevy App does not list this recall on my 2019

VIN: 1G1FZ6S01K4128445

Can I rely on this to not go to the Dealer?

BoltEV said:

I assume if your car isn't on the list, it won't be in your dealer's system either. If that's the case, taking it to the dealer won't help. But, out of an abundance of caution, I would not charge over 90% until we know more.
Just out of curiosity, what is your build date? (stickier on the driver's door jamb)

theothertom said:
BoltEV said:

I assume if your car isn't on the list, it won't be in your dealer's system either. If that's the case, taking it to the dealer won't help. But, out of an abundance of caution, I would not charge over 90% until we know more.
Just out of curiosity, what is your build date? (stickier on the driver's door jamb)
Could you post for us the link to the "list" that you are referring to here please? I am referring to the recall notice list on the MyChevy page here on the internet, which does list the July recall for some fuse in my case. But nothing about the new recall.

When I had my 2017 Bolt EV lease, I charged it to 100% every time and noticed little or no degradation in the storage capacity of the battery when I returned it with 44,640 miles in September of 2019.

I decided to buy the 2019 Bolt EV at that time (actually in early August, as I was offered a good deal: $36,500 all-in, out the door) as at that time I was driving Uber full time (until I ceased in late February 2020 due to the Pandemic).

I always use the "L" setting to drive and completely drive the "one-pedal" method. But of course, when the battery is charged to 100% there can be no regenerative braking.

The newer model had more control of the setting of the maximum amount to charge: the 2017 fell back to 90% and the 2019 could be set to stop at 93% and only at home.

So, to be able to "one pedal" drive right out the door every day, mine is set to charge at home to achieve 93% at 7am each morning.

I use the timed feature because one day when it was 110 degrees here in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles, I returned home at about 3pm. The charger faulted out due to the high heat.

I will check the door for the build date when I go out later.

I think i've 100% charged my 2017 twice since owning it on Jan 1, 2017. And those occasions were just before a long trip so wanted to maximize range. For maximum battery longevity, it's recommended to hover around 50% SOC, best daily charge range is 40%-75%

BoltEV said:
theothertom said:
BoltEV said:

Could you post for us the link to the "list" that you are referring to here please? .
There's a website where you can enter your vin and it will tell you if your car has been recalled for the fire issue. That's what I mean by "the list". Sorry, I don't have a link but a google search should turn it up.

BoltEV said:

Certain vehicles in the 2019 model year were built using battery cells produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea, facility, which is where we believe the issue developed. The verified incidents investigated thus far had batteries produced at this facility. We've double checked your VIN within our internal systems and can confirm you don't have the recall associated to your VIN. You can check for any recalls or service related announcements on your VIN using the following website: https://my.gm.com/recalls. This site is the same one you accessed using the myChevy app. If you have any additional questions, feel free to send us an email at [email protected].

Eddie A.

Is this recall related to the "First Design Battery" problem?

I post the WebAuto video here posting the concern over the "First Design Battery". Go here to see this video (go to minutes 2:40 to 5:16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssU2mjiNi_Q

I got the recall notice (NHTSA Recall #20v701 and manufacturer Recall# N202311730). I also determined that I have a "First Design Battery" by the VIN number, according to the video above.

I am at the Chevy dealer right now for a "reprogram the hybrid propulsion control model". I received the recall notice in my email.

odioc said:
Is this recall related to the "First Design Battery" problem?

I post the WebAuto video here posting the concern over the "First Design Battery". Go here to see this video (go to minutes 2:40 to 5:16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssU2mjiNi_Q

I got the recall notice (NHTSA Recall #20v701 and manufacturer Recall# N202311730). I also determined that I have a "First Design Battery" by the VIN number, according to the video above.

I am at the Chevy dealer right now for a "reprogram the hybrid propulsion control model". I received the recall notice in my email.

Hello,

Based on the information we have available at this time, we're unable to confirm if the first battery design is related to this recall as our engineers continue their investigation. A certain number of these vehicles were built with high voltage batteries produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea facility. Additionally, we confirmed the verified incidents investigated thus far had batteries produced at this facility. If you'd like for us to follow up with your Chevy dealer for more details about your Bolt EV, feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. Be sure to include "ATTN: Chevrolet | odioc | MyChevyBolt" in the subject line so we know it's you reaching out.

Eddie A.

.................."once the investigation has been completed and defective battery packs have been identified and replaced or repaired."

https://insideevs.com/news/487144/chevrolet-bolt-ev-recall-update-gm/

Wow, some Bolt owners under the recall get great GM buy-back deals!! https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/l2raxb/gm_repurchased_my_bolt_i_just_deposited_the_check/

I've read about a couple of other stories, some leased where they refund the leasee all their payments (nice!) minus about 33 cents per mile use fee (that'll cut it down).

Anybody else have buy-back experiences? Could be it's only in states with strong Lemon Laws.

This person even gets a 2020 Bolt as a loaner while buyback paperwork gets together!! How does one get this kind of good treatment from GM? Do you have to be buddies with Mary Barra ( or know too much about her past, hee-hee) ???
https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/lh2nrx/got_a_bolt_loaner_from_chevy_while_my_buyback/

See update at

https://insideevs.com/news/489388/gm-software-solution-chevy-bolt-ev-fires/

Best outcome would be battery replacement IMO so watch Kona issue closely and see what Hyundai does

Back