Mileage/charge limitation after using Electrify America

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonM

I'm experiencing a problem after using Electrify America charging stations. For days after doing so my full charge at home using the GM supplied equipment is consistently 211 miles. This is regardless of outside temperature. Which lately has been in the 70s.

I know the battery is not fully charged because the regen system brings the car to a stop. In fact, on two occasions I have left home, once drove more than 15 miles and another time drove more than 25 miles. Both times upon returning home I had 213 of remaining miles. Two miles more than when I started. Upon plugging in a full charge is three hours away. Four hours later I'm at 211 miles again.

After recently charging to 78 percent at an EA station, I arrived home with 146 miles. After three hours of charging I had 132 miles! It takes a drive of over 100 miles for the car to once again accept a full charge and show the promised range.

I prefer EA stations because of the honesty. You pay for kilowatts. Not for minutes. The savings is substantial. And EA delivers more kilowatts in the same amount of time than GM partners EVgo and Chargepoint. Eighty percent is achieved in 40 to 45 minutes and not the 60 to 70 minutes at GM partner EVgo (though the GM promise is 80 percent in 45 minutes). Charging being something controlled by the vehicle. Which makes me wonder if I'm purposely and subliminally being directed to GM partner stations by the on-board computer. By having such reduced miles after not using a partner charger. So far and unlike ChargePoint, EA doesn't charge a parking fee surcharge, either. (Nothing is more irritating than to spend the same amount of time at a gas station charging as the guy with a travel trailer did parked at a gas pump and getting groceries and to be charged for parking. But I digress.)

Is anyone else having the same issue with premature full charge status after using Electrify America chargers?

The range shown on your screen is an estimate. Some say it's a guess and call the screen a guess-o-meter, or GOM.
I don't pay too much attention to range because so many things affect it. I pay attention to battery %.
Regarding charging, even though EVgo is billed as 50kW, I've never seen that rate. It's usually 35kW max. EA can and does deliver the full 55kW the Bolt is capable of handling.
Read through this thread to get an idea of charging rates
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6826&fbclid=IwAR1kYzzCiwqyUBEddykZmXujqi75jeJMVhtj7PXNrhcO8MOAXNcMx7ppaUE

Sorry. I'm not willing to drive long distances with a proverbial broken gas gauge. Nor use the trip planning feature in the app with unreliable info. An EV is already a huge time suck. Adding four hours to what is a three hour trip in an ICE vehicle. Additional charge anxiety should not be necessary.

Either the battery is not fully charging when topped off later after being charged at an EA charger or there's another malfunction. Thanks for the "schooling" on how EVs charge. But that's not the issue. I'm taking a survey.

Hopefully others will address my question.

What year is your model?

Why do you do so much DCFC charging instead of L2 at home?

2020/don't have L2 charger at home.

DCFC charging is once a week after a long round trip and so the car can be used locally and recharge at home in time for the next trip 5 days later.

If I'm not the only one having the issue, then GM has programmed the onboard computer to dissuade us from going to pay per kw charging stations.

Pay by the minute circumvents states' depts of Weights and Measures (the guys who annually test and put the certification stickers on gas pumps) and should be outlawed.

DonM said:
Is anyone else having the same issue with premature full charge status after using Electrify America chargers?
To answer your question, I am not having that issue

I have not seen this issue before.

Your actual situation is hard to follow/understand. Instead of referring to "miles", what is the battery's state of charge? You can get it in 5% increments from the dash (there are 20 bars on the left). You can get it in 1% increments from the app.

Instead of "I know the battery is not fully charged because the regen system brings the car to a stop", what is the actual state of charge you begin with? And instead of "In fact, on two occasions I have left home, once drove more than 15 miles and another time drove more than 25 miles. Both times upon returning home I had 213 of remaining miles. Two miles more than when I started. Upon plugging in a full charge is three hours away. Four hours later I'm at 211 miles again.", what was your beginning and ending state of charge?

This information will make it possible for people to help you over the internet. Otherwise, there are a whole host of possibilities, up to and including the range estimate changing due to different driving conditions.

Back