Bolt review driving from LA to San Francisco

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshallinwa

Posted in the other Bolt forum.

http://boltev.blogspot.com/

Oops! I see it's already posted in another thread.

Even though the guy is relatively thin a hundred and fifty pounds he is still a decent height 5-10 with no complaints of leg room so that's good

We drove from San Carlos to Santa Barbara today. No issues, except that we stopped for a charge at most of the DC charging stations along the way. The Bolt will accept 80 kw, but the most we found was 50 kw from EVgo. chargepoint was half that. Does anyone have 80 kw chargers along that route on 101?

Chococar said:
We drove from San Carlos to Santa Barbara today. No issues, except that we stopped for a charge at most of the DC charging stations along the way. The Bolt will accept 80 kw, but the most we found was 50 kw from EVgo. chargepoint was half that. Does anyone have 80 kw chargers along that route on 101?
No publically available 80kw (160A) or higher CCS chargers exist in the US at this time, as far as I know.

The presently available chargers are capable of providing either 125A, 100A or 62A of current. In spite of the actual power differences, both the 125A and 100A chargers are call 50kW. The 62A chargers are referenced as 24kW.

Your Bolt EV will see a peak charging power of just under 50kW using a 125A charger, 39kW using a 100A charger and 24kW using a 62A charger. Overall charging times will be proportionally reduced with the lower amperage chargers. I'd look for 125A chargers but again be aware that both the 125A and 100A chargers often have "50kW" labels on them. Unfortunately, I've read that Hwy 101 has many 62A (24kW) chargers.

Yeah avoid the 100A chargers unless you want to wait a long time. I filter out all the charge point stations since so many are 24kW and I do not feel like spending an entire day at the charger.

Aidan said:
Even though the guy is relatively thin a hundred and fifty pounds he is still a decent height 5-10 with no complaints of leg room so that's good

Tons of leg room!
- The thin guy

Chococar said:

What's the specs on your car? What package did you go for, what dealer did you purchase from, etc? Could you share in this thread? http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4755

p.s. welcome to the forum :)

I just took a look at Oregon and northern California in Plugshare. Filtering out Chargepoint stations eliminated every charger between Salem and Sacramento.

California freeways between Sacramento and San Diego are well-supplied with non-Chargepoint DCFC, with the exception of a big gap in the coast highway.

Back