Infotainment current version

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posatronic

I have tried to see if there is an update but haven't seen one yet. I have emailed Chevy support and they said it can only be updated at the dealer...... why is there a place in he infotainment center to check if you can't update??(over the air)
It would be nice if there was a place to see if there is even an update available before I have the dealer jump through a bunch of hoops.
I ask because there are a few hiccups in the programming.
Thanks.

Posatronic said:
I have tried to see if there is an update but haven't seen one yet. I have emailed Chevy support and they said it can only be updated at the dealer...... why is there a place in he infotainment center to check if you can't update??(over the air)
It would be nice if there was a place to see if there is even an update available before I have the dealer jump through a bunch of hoops.
I ask because there are a few hiccups in the programming.
Thanks.

We can completely understand where you're coming from, Posatronic. We have been doing OTAs to vehicle systems such as the OnStar module since 2009. Now, with 4G LTE capability in our vehicles, including the Bolt EV, we are looking at future opportunities to upgrade vehicles post-purchase to create more value for our customers.

Rest assured that your feedback has been reviewed by the appropriate internal teams on my end. If you have further questions/concerns at this time, please let me know.

Warm Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Amber, in part, your answer isn't clear to me.

Can you answer these questions individually to clarify?

(1) Are customer-initiated OTA updates currently available in the Bolt?

(2) If the answer to #1 is "no", then: Does the customer-accessible "Check for Update" feature at least show when a new version is available?

(3) If the answer to #2 is "no", then: What is the customer-accessible "Check for Update" feature for, exactly?

(4) Also, if the answer yo #2 is "no", what is the current latest version number available?

(5) Finally, if the answers to #1 and #2 are both "no": What is the process for (a) knowing when to take a Bolt to the dealer for an update, and (b) getting an update performed by a dealer?

Thanks,
rcrcr

rcrcr said:

(2) If the answer to #1 is "no", then: Does the customer-accessible "Check for Update" feature at least show when a new version is available?

(3) If the answer to #2 is "no", then: What is the customer-accessible "Check for Update" feature for, exactly?

(4) Also, if the answer yo #2 is "no", what is the current latest version number available?

(5) Finally, if the answers to #1 and #2 are both "no": What is the process for (a) knowing when to take a Bolt to the dealer for an update, and (b) getting an update performed by a dealer?

Thanks,
rcrcr

I am also very interested in the answers to these excellent questions. I hope Chevrolet will respond.

phil0909 said:
rcrcr said:

Thanks,
rcrcr

I am also very interested in the answers to these excellent questions. I hope Chevrolet will respond.

As am I since that's really the questions I was asking..........waiting................waiting..............waiting.......

It may be reassuring to get an official response from Amber, but the answer to these questions is yes there will be over-the-air updates but none have been pushed out to regular customer cars yet.

I was told by a GM employee that some Bolt EVs given to employees for internal test driving purposes are already receiving over-the-air updates as part of that testing.

The Bolt owner manual says on page 159 that:

Software Updates

Over-the-Air Software Updates

If equipped, the infotainment system can download and install software updates over a wireless connection.

The system will prompt high priority updates to be downloaded and installed, while others can be manually accessed.

To manually check for updates.....

phil0909 said:
rcrcr said:

Thanks,
rcrcr

I can definitely do so, rcrcr!

1. With the 4G LTE capability of the vehicle, we hope to have post-purchase OTA updates available moving forward.

2. The customer-accessible "Check for Updates" feature works in tandem with OTA to display your current software version. This feature will alert an owner to available updates. More information can be found on page 159 of your owner's manual.

3. It will display your current software version.

4. We would need to have your dealership check to see if your Bolt EV has the latest update in it, and if there's anything in the works for a newer update.

5. There are a number of ways we can go about getting customers such as yourself an update appointment set up. The easiest route would be to reach out to me directly via email at [email protected] or via private message over this forum. I can then do the legwork to check for available updates and get you scheduled at your dealership. I know we've worked together via private message before, and I'll be sending you a private message shortly. Please be on the lookout for that!

We do sincerely appreciate everyone's patience as we work to make the Bolt EV the best it can possibly be. If anybody (in addition to rcrcr) has questions/concerns about their Infotainment system, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Warm Regards,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:

1. With the 4G LTE capability of the vehicle, we hope to have post-purchase OTA updates available moving forward.

2. The customer-accessible "Check for Updates" feature works in tandem with OTA to display your current software version. This feature will alert an owner to available updates. More information can be found on page 159 of your owner's manual.

4. We would need to have your dealership check to see if your Bolt EV has the latest update in it, and if there's anything in the works for a newer update.

5. There are a number of ways we can go about getting customers such as yourself an update appointment set up. The easiest route would be to reach out to me directly via email at [email protected] or via private message over this forum. I can then do the legwork to check for available updates and get you scheduled at your dealership. I know we've worked together via private message before, and I'll be sending you a private message shortly. Please be on the lookout for that!

We do sincerely appreciate everyone's patience as we work to make the Bolt EV the best it can possibly be. If anybody (in addition to rcrcr) has questions/concerns about their Infotainment system, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Warm Regards,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

It has now become clear that we have been given false information here. Specifically,

2. The customer-accessible "Check for Updates" feature DOES NOT WORK in tandem with OTA to alert an owner to available updates. Several Bolt owners have reported getting an update to v14.1.0, and one has even posted a photo of his updated version number on the Bolt's display screen. Yet when my Bolt "checks" for available updates, it assures me that my version 13.4.0 is the latest version.

4. The dealership does NOT check to see if your Bolt has the latest update, let alone whether there's anything 'in the works'. My dealer took my VIN and assured me that there is no software update available for my car. The service advisor also told me he had "no idea" what the latest available software version is, and has no way to find out. Based on various forum comments, I am not alone in my bad Chevy dealer service experience.

So, as far as I can tell, the following is the ACTUAL procedure for keeping your Bolt's software up to date:

1. Monitor internet forums to find out when new software becomes available.
2. Contact your dealer, and be prepared to battle long and hard to get them to admit there is an update and agree to install it for you, because automatic notification and downloading are just not available from Chevrolet.
3. Bring your Bolt in and be prepared to rent a car at your own expense for the day. Because the dealer won't promise to look at your car or complete the installation in anything less than a day. And they won't provide a loaner car or rental for you during that time.

I find this appalling. Chevrolet should be ashamed.

Here's a TSB for the latest software updates as of March 23rd. This affects all vehicles from SOP to Feb 6th 2017.

Take your car to the dealer for this update and quit crying about your inconvenience because you can't get an OAT.

You sound like a little cry baby that didn't get a rattle to play with :lol:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 9,929
phil0909 said:
ChevyCustomerCare said:

Warm Regards,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

It has now become clear that we have been given false information here. Specifically,

2. The customer-accessible "Check for Updates" feature DOES NOT WORK in tandem with OTA to alert an owner to available updates. Several Bolt owners have reported getting an update to v14.1.0, and one has even posted a photo of his updated version number on the Bolt's display screen. Yet when my Bolt "checks" for available updates, it assures me that my version 13.4.0 is the latest version.
Amber was describing how over-the-air (OTA) updates will work for the Bolt EV in the future. I'm not aware of any car company that does this today other than Tesla. The Bolt EV will be the first non-Tesla car to have this capability for user-visible features (so, not counting silent updates to the OnStar telematics computer).

Unfortunately, this feature is still being tested by GM and has not yet been enabled for regular customer cars. So, for now, you have to still do things the old fashioned way and go to a dealer. Dealers have a computer that they can use to search for software updates.

That's all understandable, but I would make the strong point that the current behavior (i.e.: a clear implication that the OTA checker is in fact checking for updates) is extremely poor. If GM is not ready for over the air, then fine, but the feature should not erroneously say "your software is up to date". It should instead say something to the effect of "check with your dealer to determine if your software is up to date".

rcrcr said:
...It should instead say something to the effect of "check with your dealer to determine if your software is up to date".
Or even better, the actual status, such as: "this car is not currently enabled for software updates" or "unable <or unauthorized> to contact update update server".

I'm guessing the car actually is successfully checking for updates. GM just hasn't "pushed" any updates onto the update server yet so there aren't any to download.

This problem is temporary and will soon be resolved when GM starts putting updates on the network server. Sort of. I expect there will continue to be software updates to some of the car's "under the hood" computers that will
continue to be installed only at the dealer and people will continue to learn about them the old-fashioned way either by receiving a letter in the mail from GM or when customers notice a problem and take the car into the dealer and the recommended fix is to update the firmware in a particular non-customer-visible control computer.

Let me cite a specific example (my own experience):

As recently as this morning, I tried the "Software Update" feature on my own Bolt.

It responded (and I quote exactly): "You have the latest software. Version: 13.4.0"

Now, obviously this is not true (as of today, 14.1.0 is the latest).

I took the Bolt to a dealer, and they performed a software upgrade. Now "Software Update" responds: "You have the latest software. Version: 14.1.0".

My central beef in this area is that until such time that this feature is enabled or augmented, this feature should never take the liberty of authoritatively displaying the words "you have the latest software".

Any of these three responses would be acceptable (in ascending order of preference):

(1) "You currently have software version: 13.4.0. Please check with you dealer to determine if any updates are available."

(2) "You currently have software version: 13.4.0. A newer version of the software, version 14.1.0 is available, but currently, this version must be installed by your dealer."

(3) You currently have software version: 13.4.0. A newer version of the software, version 14.1.0 is available. Would you like to update now?"

JeffN said:
I'm guessing the car actually is successfully checking for updates. GM just hasn't "pushed" any updates onto the update server yet so there aren't any to download.
Yeah, that's possible. But the case where there's no software to download should still probably display a different message from the case where the latest available download version matches what's in the car.

Took my bolt in on Saturday to get update. When I got home I checked to see what version I had and it had not been updated. Call them and they said they did all that were available. Not sure they know what they are doing.

JeffN said:
Amber was describing how over-the-air (OTA) updates will work for the Bolt EV in the future. I'm not aware of any car company that does this today other than Tesla. The Bolt EV will be the first non-Tesla car to have this capability for user-visible features (so, not counting silent updates to the OnStar telematics computer).

Unfortunately, this feature is still being tested by GM and has not yet been enabled for regular customer cars. So, for now, you have to still do things the old fashioned way and go to a dealer. Dealers have a computer that they can use to search for software updates.

I don't know why Amber would be describing an update process that does not exist, but is planned for some unspecified future date. What previous posters were asking is how are we supposed to find out right now when an update is available. Failing to address the immediate question while talking about possible future pie-in-the-sky is unhelpful at best, and misleading at worst. It would have been far more helpful and forthright to admit clearly that GM currently does not offer update notifications, but hopes to implement much better processes at some future date. And also that when the car tells you it has the latest software version, you should not believe it.

You say the Bolt will be the first non-Tesla with direct-to-customer OTA updates as if it were a fact. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. That depends entirely on when - if ever - GM ever activates this feature, and what competitors do in the meantime. TBD.

I don't actually care much about the direct OTA capability, though it does seem like it would be convenient if it were actually available. What annoys me is how difficult GM and/or its dealers are making it for customers to obtain a useful update to correct well-documented software bugs. Or even to find out such an update exists. Even to the point of having the Bolt software mislead us into thinking our software is current.

So I jumped through all the hoops my dealer presented (there were many!) and finally got v14 installed yesterday. And as I drove home, I experienced one instance of screen blackout in Android Auto, and one instance of backup/360 view failing to appear on screen while backing up. Maybe v15 will be better. I'll give it a try, if I happen to find out some day that it exists. ;)

I don't get it. I told the dealership I needed the infotainment update and they did some updates but when I got home 14.1.0 was not on the car. Can't they search and find updates like 14.1.0? The dealer told me to take it back for diagnostics to see what needs to be done. Maybe Chevy pays them to run diagnostics?

Forman said:
I don't get it. I told the dealership I needed the infotainment update and they did some updates but when I got home 14.1.0 was not on the car. Can't they search and find updates like 14.1.0? The dealer told me to take it back for diagnostics to see what needs to be done. Maybe Chevy pays them to run diagnostics?

There are 2 versions of updates. One is a USB File load and the other is a software programming update. If they only did one and not both,
this is probably why it's not showing the latest version. They are also required to reset the system after updates. This could be another
reason why it's not reporting the updated info.

Chevy only pays for diagnostic work if the customer has a problem. They don't pay for diag. for the system not showing the latest version.
If the dealer did the update and didn't reset the system or didn't program both the USB file and radio software, it's on the dealer.
What did your copy of the RO say ? What was written on you receipt ? Did you get one ? Post it on here!

Back