Rodent Access to engine compartment

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Has Bolt had reported rodent damage to wiring causing sudden stoppage of vehicle. I experienced battery service warning, shift to park warning while driving and then sudden stoppage and loss of power in my month old Bolt. Told by dealer that a rodent ate my wiring harness and repair would cost $560 to repair . Read on forum that soy plastic attracts rodents. Please comment or deny.

Incidentally I had a Nissan Leaf for 5 years parked and changed in identical location with never a "rodent problem to wiring". Are they using different non rat attractant plastic?

My dealer also claims that it is rodent issue. I have my 2 other cars parked outside on street parking. None of these cars have this issue. Also, non of my neighbors cars, both EV and gas, does not have any issue.

This wiring issue happened 2 times for me. Both the times, dealer claims it to be rodent issue. Dealer charged my $500 for first time and $1200 for second incident. I will attach the pictures soon...

But, the dealers claims that this is rodent issue. I have created a customer case to investigate if this a rodent issue or not. If yes, then why does this happen only for Chevy Bolt cars.

I am having a call with customer care today. I will update what ever happens in the call.

we need to really identify this issue so that we can save others money.

Just now got out of the call. Customer support claims that they have had customers with rodent issues and they can not do any thing :(

They advised me to
a) get second opinion from another dealer
b) use my insurance to get it fixed.
c) Also, they asked me to write a letter to corporate office and
d) create a complain in Better Business Bureau...

Now, i need to try work with BBB and i will update how that goes

Rodents have attacked my Bolt, twice. Exactly the same wires both times. It's a harness at the front of the car behind the front fascia. Symptoms include a failure reported in the pedestrian friendly alert system, and a failure of the ambient temp sensor, which in turn causes the air conditioning to not turn on.

Either the repair was botched the first time and they made splices that failed, or the mice returned to exactly the same spot.

nothing I can do if its the former, if its the latter, they either hit the same spot twice because they were drawn to it, or there is a design flaw in the car. I told the dealer this time to thoroughly wash and clean the area in case there is urine there drawing them back, and the harness has been wrapped in an aluminum tape to make it less tasty.

Either way, I think its important for anyone with rodent damage to document where the damage was - there are already class action suits out there against other manufacturers - and I want my 2 x $250 insurance deductible back from chevrolet, plus a permanent fix.

Tom

hello - we live in the woods and rodents have been a real nuisance with chewing on wiring in vehicles. My neighbor across the street rat attack on their Lexus SUV resulted in $3K repair. Another neighbor had damaged to their Toyota pickup and their GM van. A few years back, one got into our garage and chewed out the wiring on a couple of the fuel injector wiring on our 2004 Prius, resulted in engine misfiring. These pests also chewed on the softer rubber hoses, like the windshield hoses and coolant overflow.

In total, we had rat wiring/hose chew through on our Prius, Corolla, Odyssey Van, iMiev over the years. I am constantly trapping them, but have been resisting using poison due to pets and local wild life (though i guess these rats are wild life as well).

I've noticed that it depends a little on luck, as some rats like the wiring and others don't. I've seen evidence of nesting in my Bolt; in fact there was a literal nest in my 2001 Prizm this week. Fortunately, there was no damage, at least none that I can see.

I am going to try a suggestion my next door neighbor mentioned about putting 2 Irish Spring soap bars in the engine compartment next. Apparently they don't like the smell.

good lucks

Many mammals (including rats) hate spices - especially HOT spices (like Tabasco or cayenne pepper or Chili pepper flakes). Under a car hood and on wires, dabbing some tabasco here and there twice a month could help deter. Try it and report back!

summit said:
I am constantly trapping them, but have been resisting using poison due to pets and local wild life (though i guess these rats are wild life as well).
There are a ton of good rat trap videos on YouTube. The ones that seem to be particularly effective are the ones that use peanut butter spread onto the middle of a rolling rod over a big plastic bucket of water.

Back