Tesla Model 3 vs. Chevy Bolt EV: Design, Price & Features Comparison Of Affordable Electric Cars

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westernkicks

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/74412/20170114/tesla-model-3-vs-chevy-bolt-ev-design-price-features.htm

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/74412/20170114/tesla-model-3-vs-chevy-bolt-ev-design-price-features.htm...

I am always amazed when a 'journalist' compares a shipping product with vaporware, and they expect anybody who isn't an idiot to pay attention. When Tesla shows the Model-3, and discloses trim levels and option prices, and makes final-version vehicles available for test drives (even if only for the press) - THEN I will start paying attention.

SparkE said:
I am always amazed when a 'journalist' compares a shipping product with vaporware, and they expect anybody who isn't an idiot to pay attention. When Tesla shows the Model-3, and discloses trim levels and option prices, and makes final-version vehicles available for test drives (even if only for the press) - THEN I will start paying attention.
For what it's worth, this is the first article that I've seen which at least compares the ranges of the two cars realistically: 238 vs. "committed to" 215. Most other articles I've seen treat the 215 figure as a done deal, which of course is not the case.

While I agree that it's difficult to compare a production car to a future one, there's a demand for this kind of information because some Model 3 reservation holders are trying to decide whether to wait or to buy a Bolt. Of course the information isn't perfect, but that's not going to stop people from wanting it. The important thing is to couch such information in language that makes it clear that nothing is final yet.

SeanNelson said:
While I agree that it's difficult to compare a production car to a future one, there's a demand for this kind of information because some Model 3 reservation holders are trying to decide whether to wait or to buy a Bolt. Of course the information isn't perfect, but that's not going to stop people from wanting it. The important thing is to couch such information in language that makes it clear that nothing is final yet.

I would imagine that people attracted to the Model 3 for its relative affordability would be interested in the option structure and pricing. The current Model S starts at $68,000, but options can bring it up to $167,500, so people waiting for a Model 3 are probably hoping that the Model 3 options are not so pricey relative to the car's base price of $35,000.

The Bolt EV is going for upwards of $46,000 so I wonder what might make the M3 so much more expensive? Yes, I know that it almost certainly has a much wider range of options, but the Bolt is ending up $11,000 over the supposed base price of the M3. My sense is that a very large number of M3 buyers are going to fall within a few thousand dollars of that.

Lou

Gatedad said:
The Bolt EV is going for upwards of $46,000 so I wonder what might make the M3 so much more expensive? Yes, I know that it almost certainly has a much wider range of options, but the Bolt is ending up $11,000 over the supposed base price of the M3. My sense is that a very large number of M3 buyers are going to fall within a few thousand dollars of that.

Highest MSRP for a Bolt Premier with all factory options including an extra cost color is $43,905, which is $6,410 over the Bolt LT with no options and $8,905 over the Tesla Model 3 base price of $35,000. $46,000+ would be including tax and license, or paying additional dealer markup.

If Tesla can keep the comparable options to under $9,000 or so over the base price, then they will be price-competitive.

Back