Glass roof - will it make it to production?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

I love the glass roof on the Bolt EV concept, but I'm not sure it will make it to production.
Are there currently any production electric vehicles with a glass roof? The Tesla Model S has some sort of panoramic roof I seem to recall...

Anyways, here are some photos of the Bolt's glass roof. Maybe GM has some technology that can be turned on or off to make the glass opaque or transparent, similar to an e-Book with electronic ink? Where it doesn't take energy to keep it in a certain state, just to switch it to that state....

2015-culture-bev-b8-316x246.jpg

2015-culture-bev-b10-648x316.jpg

2015-culture-bev-b3-980x437.jpg

I also just noticed what appears to be some strange texturing/modeling in the glass towards the rear of the vehicle?

That's a good point - the extra reinforcement in the front and rear of the roof to provide strength as well as the heavy glass - compared to a full 'monocoque' roof structure where the whole piece is structural.

marta said:
I love the glass roof on the Bolt EV concept, but I'm not sure it will make it to production.
Are there currently any production electric vehicles with a glass roof?

Yes. The Smart ED. I have one with the pano roof, it's not glass, but thick and sturdy nonetheless.

2048_fas094290f09f90f90vxvxvxy0990924-s453-jpg.302426

The Smart ED pano roof is thick plexi, not real glass. Regardless, I love the open air feeling of the cabin. GM Bolt would well advised to stick with the same clear roof layout as the concept car, it's a great feature.

Sounds unique - and I see from the photo the Smart ED also has a panel to close it off if desired. Is there any advantage to this over an opening and closing moonroof?

marta said:
the Smart ED also has a panel to close it off if desired. Is there any advantage to this over an opening and closing moonroof?

Cost. I paid $17K for my Smart ED ($23K before incentives).

I like the clear roof, there is no maintenance, and I use AC or heater 99% of the time I need to change the temperature in the car. Besides, I drive it in the city, where the fumes from other cars make me sick. I prefer the enclosed cabin with great visibility of the Smart.

"Are there currently any production electric vehicles with a glass roof?"
Yes, the KIA Soul electric.
Peter

Petermiller said:
"Are there currently any production electric vehicles with a glass roof?"
Yes, the KIA Soul electric.
Peter

Do you have a picture of what the Soul EV looks like with glass roof?

That looks awesome! I can imagine my future Chevy Bolt having a glass roof! :mrgreen: Did that make it to production?

nousernogood said:
If so it would be an expensive opton that adds weight and decreases range...

I guess you're right but look at the glass roof of Chevy Bolt EV! It's spectacular! I'd pay for that!

Back