Self-sealing tires vs spare tire options

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziv

Hi All,

I have a Chevy Volt and did the 'spare tire' kit because I often travel out of the city and didn't want to have to wait hours for roadside assistance in the even of a flat tire.

Now with the Bolt, I see the same issues. The OEM tires are self sealing, but if that doesn't hold up/doesn't solve the puncture, then you're stuck waiting for help.

The stock Bolt EV tires are the same size as the Gen II Volt, so I'm guessing the same setup would work as a spare tire kit for the Bolt. I don't have my Bolt yet, but can any owners confirm?

I have read rumours about plans for a Bolt-specific spare tire kit, but who knows how long it will take to show up. The one for the Volt wasn't available until at least a few months after the car rolled out.

The kit from the Volt may not work in the Bolt because it relies on a threaded anchor hole in the car to secure the tire restraint. The Bolt may or may not have such a hole, and it may not be in the correct location or at the correct depth for the one in the Volt to work properly.

But I'm pretty sure that I've read of people who have mounted Volt wheels/tires on the Bolt to confirm their compatibility, so in that respect at least the Volt spare tire kit should get you that part of it.

Just leased my Bolt a couple of days ago.

I bought an emergency spare for my BMW which originally came w/run flat times because I installed "better" performing non-flats on the car.

However, I don't think I'll bother doing that for the Bolt. I'll just carry a basic tool kit, a tire repair kit, a small compressor and a can of Fix-A-Flat or Slime Quick Spair (or similar product) instead. Should be enough to handle any minor tire emergencies.

A call to AAA will have to handle the rest.

You might want to buy a spare but keep it at home, so AAA can just bring the car there if you can't leave it at a shop.

LeftieBiker said:
You might want to buy a spare but keep it at home, so AAA can just bring the car there if you can't leave it at a shop.

If I need to call for a tow truck, I don't see the point of having a spare at home. If I'm far away from home, the spare does me no good. If I'm near home, they can just as easily tow me to a local tire shop where the tire can be repaired or replaced.

PS: I just put my Viair compressor and Powertank tire repair kit in the trunk. They fit perfectly. Need to buy a new canned tire inflator; the one I have is ancient and I can't rely that it'll work any more. Heading to my local AutoZone shortly.

Quite a few Leaf drivers (like me) have added spares, only to find that they are never needed. The reasonable compromise seems to be to own a spare, but not to carry it unless going on a long trip.

LeftieBiker said:
Quite a few Leaf drivers (like me) have added spares, only to find that they are never needed. The reasonable compromise seems to be to own a spare, but not to carry it unless going on a long trip.

I've never needed the spare and jack that I bought for my BMW but, since it no longer has run-flat tires. So, its more of a necessity than a convenience to have a spare in that car.

Just bought a new can of Fix-a-Flat and put it in the "concealed" portion of the trunk w/a ViAir "Professional" compressor and a PowerTank tire repair kit (that I use to use while going off road in my FJ). That's more than enough to deal w/routine tire problems that the self-sealing tires on the Bolt can't handle. Anything else will require a call on OnStar (for the 3 months that I'm signed up) or to AAA.

Just bought a new can of Fix-a-Flat and put it in the "concealed" portion of the trunk w/a ViAir "Professional" compressor and a PowerTank tire repair kit (that I use to use while going off road in my FJ). That's more than enough to deal w/routine tire problems that the self-sealing tires on the Bolt can't handle. Anything else will require a call on OnStar (for the 3 months that I'm signed up) or to AAA.

Unless the Fix A Flat explicitly states on the can that it doesn't ruin TPMS sensors in the rim, I wouldn't use it except in an emergency. Those sensors aren't cheap.

LeftieBiker said:
Unless the Fix A Flat explicitly states on the can that it doesn't ruin TPMS sensors in the rim, I wouldn't use it except in an emergency. Those sensors aren't cheap.

Yes, I'm aware of this and the can says exactly that. Whether it's "true" or not has yet to be tested. Very family w/TPMS sensors. Learned all about them when I swapped wheels on my BMW 335i.

Since the self-sealing tires presumably have some goo in them, is it likely to encounter damage that cannot be fixed with the goo already in the tires, but can be fixed by spraying more goo into the tire?

boltage said:
Since the self-sealing tires presumably have some goo in them, is it likely to encounter damage that cannot be fixed with the goo already in the tires, but can be fixed by spraying more goo into the tire?

Seems unlikely, doesn't it? I can't see much value in adding more goo to the existing goo.

However, if you install new, goo-less tires, carrying a can of fix-a-flat could be a good alternative to a spare tire.

boltage said:

Good question.

Of course, I'm not going to try to use the stuff unless the "self-sealing" tires don't work as advertised. The tires don't have a liquid sealant in them. It's kind of a putty-like material that "seals" the tire from punctures in the tread.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZPikiiKFw4

However, no harm in carrying a can of Fix-A-Flat just in case it doesn't work, in which case the liquid sealant may save the day by filling gaps that the "putty" can't handle.

If that fails, I also have an off-road tire kit w/plugs that can be pushed into the hole (s). The plugs can also be used for sidewall damage which are not protected by the sealant lining in the tire. I'd only resort to using the plugs if I cannot reach OnStar or AAA. Way too much trouble to do otherwise.

Reality is that NONE of us probably will ever have to deal w/a tire problem on the road. I have been driving for over 50 years and have owned/leased over 50 different cars, trucks and motorcycles.

I have always carried a spare or some kind of tire inflation device while driving in those vehicles and have only had to deal w/a flat on the road ONCE in my lifetime; it was a Prius with a spare that I changed on the spot.

Better safe than sorry is my view.

The Spark EV does not have a spare tire nor a place for one. In its place is a 12 volt air pump and a canister of special sealant. I had a flat once and this system rescued me. If you are going to squirt sealant into the flat tire, make sure the valve stem is at the or near the bottom so you do not spray sealant onto the internal tire pressure sensor. They are expensive to replace.

I'd probably not bother with a spare. Nowhere in CA are you so far from a city that a tow truck shouldn't be able to get to you. I'd count on the self sealing tires to get me to a tire store, and if not I'd just chalk it up to bad luck and wait for the tow. Obviously it comes down to personal preference though.

SparkEVPilot said:
The Spark EV does not have a spare tire nor a place for one. In its place is a 12 volt air pump and a canister of special sealant. I had a flat once and this system rescued me. If you are going to squirt sealant into the flat tire, make sure the valve stem is at the or near the bottom so you do not spray sealant onto the internal tire pressure sensor. They are expensive to replace.

With the Leaf and Prius PHEV at least, if you use the supplied sealant you ruin the sensors. Maybe GM supplies a better one that only ruins them if used at the wrong angle, but I wouldn't count on it. You may have just been lucky.

So, I was rummaging around in the trunk of my Bolt and found this styrofoam liner at the bottom.

16602534_1241300952630121_6407237483284444348_o.jpg

It's called the "Cargo Management System" on Page 162 of the manual. The compartment on the right is where you are supposed to store the 110V charging cord, transformer box and handle

The other 2 compartments at the top left and center are for the "Tire Sealant and Compressor Kit." See illustration on Page 295 of the Manual. So, Chevy has already planned for the carrying and use of additional sealant and a compressor for use w/the Bolt "self-sealing" tires. LOL!!!

Called my sales person to ask about this and he said that the Tire Sealant and Compressor Kit did not come w/the car but could be purchased as an option. He said he would find out if they are available and would send me the part number(s) and cost for them.

The silver bar below the empty compartment on the left is the "tow eye" mentioned on Page 299 of the Manual, which can be used to winch the car onto a flatbed car carrier.

There is a round circular plug covering a hole in the left side of the front bumper behind which I assume is a threaded female point of attachment for the tow eye. I tried to take the cover off but it wouldn't come off easily and I didn't want to force it.

I have no clue what is supposed to fit in the other space below the tow eye. Does anyone know or have any idea what might fit in there?

I also have no clue what the velcro strap left in the compartment on the left is for. It may be to hold the entire charge cord assembly in place. Will see if it can be used that way or not.

LeftieBiker said:
SparkEVPilot said:

With the Leaf and Prius PHEV at least, if you use the supplied sealant you ruin the sensors. Maybe GM supplies a better one that only ruins them if used at the wrong angle, but I wouldn't count on it. You may have just been lucky.

Lucky? Possibly. When I took the car to a local tire store to have the tire patched, the technician told me about keeping the valve stem on the bottom to avoid spraying the tire pressure sensor when using the sealant. He also said don't use it unless you absolutely have to as it is hard to get all of the sealant out of the inside of the tire. FWIW - the sealant canister costs about $40.00 to replace and it must be ordered from your Chevy / GM dealer. If the sensor got sprayed so it would not function correctly, the tech said you are looking at an additional $100 to have it replaced. Ouch!

Nagorak said:
I'd count on the self sealing tires to get me to a tire store, and if not I'd just chalk it up to bad luck and wait for the tow. Obviously it comes down to personal preference though.

If the self sealing tires are effective, it is possible that you may not notice that they were punctured.

Perhaps we may have to wait until someone has worn out the tires and has to replace them anyway decides to test the self sealing feature in the parking lot of the tire shop where the new tires are scheduled to be installed.

SparkEVPilot said:
LeftieBiker said:
SparkEVPilot said:

Lucky? Possibly. When I took the car to a local tire store to have the tire patched, the technician told me about keeping the valve stem on the bottom to avoid spraying the tire pressure sensor when using the sealant. He also said don't use it unless you absolutely have to as it is hard to get all of the sealant out of the inside of the tire. FWIW - the sealant canister costs about $40.00 to replace and it must be ordered from your Chevy / GM dealer. If the sensor got sprayed so it would not function correctly, the tech said you are looking at an additional $100 to have it replaced. Ouch!

I just find it hard to believe that the sealant hardens so fast inside the tire that it doesn't spray around when the wheel is turning again, ruining the sensor anyway. Nissan and Toyota goop replacement cans run about $175, and TPMS sensors more.

My sales rep says that the Bolt Tire and Sealant Kit costs $95 and the part number is 84237904.

Not going to buy the kit just to fill the slots in the trunk. Fix-A-Flat w/my tire compressor is the same thing. An extra large can of Fix-A-Flat costs $15 and my Viair Professional compressor is better than any other 12v compressor on the market.

Bought TMPS sensors for my BMW for just $50 each. Don't see why Chevy TPMS sensors would cost more from 3rd party vendors. It's very easy to replace and recalibrate them, if for some reason they don't work after you squirt sealant into the tire. Might be worth buying 1 to put in the trunk in case it's needed.

It's a PITA to clean the tire interior if you use a sealant but if the "self-sealing" tires fail and the sealant gets you going on the road w/o the need to call for a tow or emergency service, it's well worth the price to me.

Back