1st Malfunction

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt1372

So, I just experienced the 1st noticeable malfunction in my Bolt.

Shifted into reverse and the reverse cam stayed on after I shifted into D/L. Pulled over to shift the car back into R and then back into D/L to see if it would reset but that didn't work. Also turned off the car for a moment to see if that would do the trick but it didn't. Drove the car a short distance and parked it. Turned the Bolt off and on again; reverse cam was still operating.

Was thinking that disconnecting the 12v auxiliary battery would force a computer reset. The car was parked and turned off for about 10 mins before I turned it on again to see if things had changed before I disconnected the battery. The computer had reset and returned to the Charging Info screen where it had been before the reverse cam malfunctioned.

It was actually kind of fun watching the road fall away as I drove the Bolt. Reminded me of the rear view cam that I had installed in a camper that I previously owned but this obviously is not something that should be happening w/the Bolt.

Anyone else experience this "malfunction?"

near the volume knob, hold the Home and Fast Forward buttons until the display resets.
Make sure you are pressing the physical buttons not ones on the screen

phil0909 said:
sgt1372 said:
Anyone else experience this "malfunction?"

Yes, it happens a lot. It goes away after a while, or you can just restart the infotainment display.

Happens a lot? If you say so but I've been on this forum since I got my Bolt in Feb and I don't think I've read any prior reports of it. It's not a fatal flaw. Just an oddity really and was trying to figure out how to get the computer to reset which it eventually did by itself.

grestep5621 said:
near the volume knob, hold the Home and Fast Forward buttons until the display resets.
Make sure you are pressing the physical buttons not ones on the screen

Forgot about the Home button on the dash. Will have to try that the next time it happens as was recommended above. Of course, I hope that it doesn't happen again but if it happened once, it'll probably happen again. Oh well . . .

Yeah mine did this too - Supposedly there's a software update for the head unit that fixes this, and I think it's TSB 17-NA-071. I did this update, and now it just crashes at the BOLT logo splash screen :) But eventually a watchdog timer does it's job and the display resets on it's own. This happens with the camera eventually too. At least in my case. I hope the propulsion system software is written better than the head unit :)

Is this head unit in other GM cars as well? At least if it is, we might get better attention to these fixes.

Pigwich said:
Is this head unit in other GM cars as well? At least if it is, we might get better attention to these fixes.
Supposedly this is the only one using an LG system. The rest of the car - including drivetrain computers - are of GM design.

Mine did just the opposite. Put it into reverse, no camera, just the Bolt screen. Cycled power, no help. Finally walked the keyfob away from the car for 10 minutes, maybe more. Came back and it had cured itself.

Dealer could not duplicate naturally, but they did check if there were any updates for my car, none available of course.

The only reason I took it to the dealer was to document the problem, and to see if the 17-NA-071 TB applied as my door sticker with build date simply says 02-17. TB applies to cars made before Feb. 6, and dealer confirmed my car had the proper version.
Well, that and the free car wash.

BoltADrome said:
Mine did just the opposite. Put it into reverse, no camera, just the Bolt screen.

Yeah, it does that too. Another one I get sometimes is I plug my android phone in and the car says there is no compatible device connected. Sometimes the phone will say that the car and phone are running incompatible software versions. I just restart the Bolt's infotainment system, and everything works again - so it is clear that the problem is the Bolt, not the Android phone.

I'd say everything works fine more than half of the time. But the Bolt infotainment is unstable and buggy enough that it's somewhat annoying.

phil0909 said:
...Another one I get sometimes is I plug my android phone in and the car says there is no compatible device connected. Sometimes the phone will say that the car and phone are running incompatible software versions. I just restart the Bolt's infotainment system, and everything works again - so it is clear that the problem is the Bolt, not the Android phone.

I'd say everything works fine more than half of the time. But the Bolt infotainment is unstable and buggy enough that it's somewhat annoying.
I'm not going to disagree on the state of the software - it really is buggy.

I have noticed in the case of Android Auto, though, that it is equally buggy. I've found that most of my issue with AA are fixed on the phone more than the Chevy. And both together just compound the issues. Still, it isn't happening constantly so I find it to be rather useful despite all the problems.

I've had this happen but it has nothing to do with the rear view camera; it's really a process in the display unit freezing. I've had it happen with just the regular audio screen, as well as with the rear view display. When the bug occurs, music no longer plays (even if it's through the AUX port) and the buttons for controlling music do nothing and the screen cannot be interacted with.

The only solution is to turn off the car, wait ~30 seconds for the display to turn itself off, and then when you restart the car everything should be fine.

CGameProgrammer said:
The only solution is to turn off the car, wait ~30 seconds for the display to turn itself off, and then when you restart the car everything should be fine.
You might also be able to clear the issue by simply rebooting the infotainment system. You can do that by holding down the "Home" and "Fast Forward" buttons for 10 seconds, no need to turn off the car.

gbobman said:
phil0909 said:
...Another one I get sometimes is I plug my android phone in and the car says there is no compatible device connected. Sometimes the phone will say that the car and phone are running incompatible software versions. I just restart the Bolt's infotainment system, and everything works again - so it is clear that the problem is the Bolt, not the Android phone.

I'm not going to disagree on the state of the software - it really is buggy.

I have noticed in the case of Android Auto, though, that it is equally buggy. I've found that most of my issue with AA are fixed on the phone more than the Chevy. And both together just compound the issues. Still, it isn't happening constantly so I find it to be rather useful despite all the problems.

For the record, I wrote none of that quote. However my experience with my android is similar. When it does connect it drops out at the drop of a hat, or the first attempt to actually use it. Useless at this point.

{mod edit. Fixed quoting error.}

Back