Is Chevy investigating seat complaints?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought a fair number of people had basically said if it was bad for them, you knew it as soon as you sat in it. I'm betting on that when I test drive mine.

akilkda said:
I thought a fair number of people had basically said if it was bad for them, you knew it as soon as you sat in it. I'm betting on that when I test drive mine.
Some people have certainly had an immediate negative reaction to the seats. And some haven't had a problem until they've driven it for a while. When I sat in the seats I could feel the side rails beneath the seat bolsters that people are complaining about, although it seemed manageable to me. But without a chance to drive it for more than 5 minutes I'm still not 100% convinced.

SeanNelson said:
Some people have certainly had an immediate negative reaction to the seats. And some haven't had a problem until they've driven it for a while. When I sat in the seats I could feel the side rails beneath the seat bolsters that people are complaining about, although it seemed manageable to me. But without a chance to drive it for more than 5 minutes I'm still not 100% convinced.
What I've noticed is that it forces me to sit up straight. When I do, the seat is very comfortable.

I also had to adjust the tilt back more than usual to accommodate that odd headrest.

Adding my experience here in case Chevy is listening. I was all set to buy the Bolt and cancel my Tesla Model 3 reservation after my initial test drive. After a second--longer--test drive, I realized the side bolsters were putting pressure on my hip joints and causing pain. Easily the most uncomfortable car seat I've experienced. After that, I even tried a couple of different aftermarket seat pads. They helped, but I can't get over the need to use a seat cushion on a brand new car, something I've never had to do before. So as much as it pains me, I decided not to purchase. I'll be waiting to see if there are any modifications with the 2018 model year. It's a shame, because the Bolt otherwise seems perfect for my needs/wants. I can look past many shortcomings in a car, but seat comfort is not one of them.

After the local Chevy dealership acted like a total a** [with absolutely insane lease pricing and no discount and poor bullying attempts] I decided to just bite the bullet and get a Tesla. They were offering large savings on brand new (no longer available) 90D's that were either showroom or loaners. I got a 90d with 1600 miles on it for the same price as a 75d. With 0.99% financing - is it more than the Bolt? Yes. Is it more than 2x the car - oh good grief, yes.

I test drove the bolt and there's a lot of things Chevrolet got right about the bolt. Great screen and interface - amazing headroom and legroom (front and rear!) - nice storage for the size - drives well. Some fairly noticeable torque steer and easy to lose traction w/ the front-wheel drive, but like you said, the biggest problem were the seats.

I felt like the recline was either slightly too upgright or slightly too leaned back. It felt like there was a distinct lack of lumbar support (my lower back felt 'weird' - it was noticeable). The narrowness in the hips didn't bother me too much - more like a sport seat. The angle of the seat and my legs felt a little odd (higher floor) and it seemed to put pressure on the bottom of my legs in a weird way (maybe the edge of the seats in the front). All in all, I never quite got comfortable in them. They weren't outright uncomfortable but I was kind of 'Hmmm, I don't know about this....'. When I sat back in my Leaf after the test drive it was like 'ahhhh, now these are comfortable.' It was night and day. The fact that the dealer was such a jerk and that he wanted $674/month for a 39(!) month lease sealed it.

Can't wait for my Tesla. Best of luck Chevy. Please fix the seats.

Patrick

scooter123 said:
can someone link to that purple seat cushion and the chevy seat cover?

onpurple.com has a variety of shapes and sizes.

The Chevy sideless (important for air bag deployment) seat covers are available at Wal-Mart and most major auto parts chain stores.

IMG_2703.JPG

I like both.
-John

Attachments

• IMG_2702.JPG
    IMG_2702.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 10,758
ChevyCustomerCare said:
joelsg said:
Looking for an EV, I drove a Bolt the other day and loved everything about it EXCEPT the seat comfort. Seat was too narrow, not enough lumbar support and a lot of pressure on my left hip which is always mildly sore. When I got back in to my Nissan Altima I immediately noticed the improvement in comfort! Would love to purchase the car, but uncomfortable seats are deal breaker for me. Agree that Chevy needs to fix this and then watch sales take off!

Hi joelsg,

We are truly sorry to hear that the seats may have negatively impacted your perception of the Bolt EV! Rest assured that this is something we take seriously and we've brought your comments to the attention of the appropriate teams on our end.

Please feel free to follow up with us via private message or via email at [email protected] if you'd like to discuss the Bolt EV further.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Amber: It's been 5 months since your last comment here. It's now September so I assume model year 2018 will be produced soon. Did they make any improvements to the driver's seat?

like2bike said:
Mary Barra, please fix this seat problem in 2018 and show us the Bolt is more than a compliance car.
Because some people find the seats uncomfortable, it is a compliance car? What are they complying with? An edict from the American Chiropractors Association that 22% of all new vehicle sales must have an ergonomic challenge that will result in 33% more Chiropractic adjustments by 2023?

Get serious. We all know that even if GM "fixed" the seats, it would STILL be a compliance car since it is not made by The One True Electric Car Company. ANY vehicle not conceived by the great and mighty Musk is tainted by unclean motives, and therefore be derided for all it's shortcomings (real or perceived). Such shortcomings must then be proclaimed widely so all will know the utter complianceness that permeates all other offerings. Any fool that dares mention the terms, ZEV credits, limited market availability, and compliance car in the same paragraph will be chastised appropriately. It does, after all, stifle creativity to bind people to established definitions and facts (and would leave little for the internet parrots to squawk about as well).

I don't know that the Bolt is a "compliance car" or not. Only that the front seats have very thin padding and minimal lower back support. I think it would be great if Chevy at the least offered free of charge to Bolt owners a removable seat back cushion that would increase the curve in the lower section (supporting the lower back) and help move the driver forward a bit, so the seat does not curve around and press in on the shoulders so much near the top.

This would surely not be very expensive, and would show that Chevy took the concerns of Bolt owners seriously. When I'm driving my Bolt, I want to appreciate the 200 HP and quiet operation, not be distracted by my aching back and shoulders!

GoldenZephyr said:
I don't know that the Bolt is a "compliance car" or not.

It's helping compliance but roadmap wise it's not a compliance car.

Only that the front seats have very thin padding and minimal lower back support.

Which is what you want to get a C class interior in a B class car. Also common misconception because in the developed world we have such good posture is that we need lower back support. Your sacrum/L5 is where the arch in your back exists, the rest of the spine should be relatively straight. With the Bolt if you push your pelvis back in the seat you'll have a pretty good sitting posture. But even if you still want the other way of sitting it should be easy to fix with a seat pad of one sort or another.

I think it would be great if Chevy at the least offered free of charge to Bolt owners a removable seat back cushion that would increase the curve in the lower section (supporting the lower back) and help move the driver forward a bit, so the seat does not curve around and press in on the shoulders so much near the top.

Yeah again that actually contributes to long term back issues, even though its what most people are used to unfortunately.

I've studied the Aplomb or Balance method of posture which was inspired by studying why less industrialized people are able to carry heavy weights on their heads all day long. Using these techniques (or rather unlearning the way we sit in the US) is very comfortable in the Bolt.

ProfessorBolta said:
GoldenZephyr said:

Only that the front seats have very thin padding and minimal lower back support.

Which is what you want to get a C class interior in a B class car. Also common misconception because in the developed world we have such good posture is that we need lower back support. Your sacrum/L5 is where the arch in your back exists, the rest of the spine should be relatively straight. With the Bolt if you push your pelvis back in the seat you'll have a pretty good sitting posture. But even if you still want the other way of sitting it should be easy to fix with a seat pad of one sort or another.

I think it would be great if Chevy at the least offered free of charge to Bolt owners a removable seat back cushion that would increase the curve in the lower section (supporting the lower back) and help move the driver forward a bit, so the seat does not curve around and press in on the shoulders so much near the top.

Yeah again that actually contributes to long term back issues, even though its what most people are used to unfortunately.

I've studied the Aplomb or Balance method of posture which was inspired by studying why less industrialized people are able to carry heavy weights on their heads all day long. Using these techniques (or rather unlearning the way we sit in the US) is very comfortable in the Bolt.

Professor, the fact remains that the Bolt seats are an issue for many owners and would-be owners, blaming all of those complaints on bad posture seems far-fetched.

I don’t have an issue with the seats, but they’re just ok, not great, with no lumbar adjustment, thin padding, and seatback adjustment that has too widely spaced detents. I happen to fit into the seat fairly well, but I have no reason to doubt all of those who don’t fit, given the shortcomings of the seat design.

Maybe we all need to carry heavy weights on our heads all day. That might not help, but it would take our minds off this seat issue.

ProfessorBolta said:
GoldenZephyr said:

Let's go over the actual data...

As Chevy LIQUIDATES their rotting U.S. Bolt EV inventory with $3000 private offers and incredible leasing subsidies, Europe, Canada, South Korea and even China (where there's most likely high demand) may beg to differ that this is indeed a compliance car...

There's absolutely no need to thank me, I'm going to help you make your seat argument stronger...You state the Bolt's seat is the most comfortable seat you and your family ever sat in...So if I told you your "study" on the "balance method" was the most insightful thing I've read, where does your mind go to next? You'll want to know the SECOND and THIRD most insightful thing I've read...So if you choose to engage (my guess is you won't) please state your/your families second most comfortable seat and your least most comfortable seat...The good news for you is IF Chevy actually improves this seat, the old seat, which you find the most comfortable ever, will be flooded on ebay, so you can buy dozens of them for your home and office...

Conspiracy Theorists often dismiss any data that doesn't fit their outcome, certainly feels like this is case here with your study...The one thing that jumps out at me are seats are fixed/static while the exact position of a humans L5 will differ from body to body, specific seating position can vary person to person in addition to the fact no one can sit perfectly still...Furthermore, according to your study, we've all been sitting wrong for decades so our backs are already ruined...And if you're recommending to getting an aftermarket pad, that changes your L5 position...So here's more data you're welcome to dismiss:
The majority of the longest threads on this forums are all about the seats...
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5902 (This very thread)
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5756
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6212
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6031
Many more "mega threads" in various Bolt/GM/EV forums...
Many more short complaint threads here and other forums....
Change.org has over 100 petitions signatures to recall the seats...
Motortrend stated they should change the seat...
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/CHEVROLET/BOLT 3 seat complaints...

If anyone wants to make someone's day, bring the Bolt EV to an upholster and they'll never forget the first time they encountered the Bolt EVs seat...

Eager to turn my Nissan Leaf into a home back up battery and get an EV with some decent range I overlooked a nagging feeling about the seat and made the leap to a Chevy Bolt. WHAT A MISTAKE.

The seats are just awful. Chevy refers me to the dealer, the dealer can't do anything with it, I talk with the nice young customer service reps at Chevy who thank me for the business and assure me they take my issue seriously. They also say they've never heard of the issue.

I enjoy everything else about the car. I'm using various pads and cushions to ease the pain. Amber at Chevy has been assuring us for months that she takes the problem seriously.

Come on Chevy. You are blowing it.

This looks like a simple way to improve comfort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dgxWTOnVn8

Another non-answer from Chevy:

"Thank you for reaching out, although I am sorry to hear that your dissatisfaction with the seats has made you regret your Bolt EV experience. Please know that differences in satisfaction with the seats may be due to seat adjustment, height of the individual in the seat, and various other factors.

At this time, we have found no flaw or defect in manufacturing of our seats. We appreciate everyone's feedback on the current make-up/design of the seats and have made sure to forward all comments and suggestions to our design team for future improvement of that vehicle part. If you have concerns with the seat in your specific Bolt EV, we do recommend that we get you in contact with your dealership, so they can inspect your vehicle and provide further assistance if your seat is found not to comply with the design set forth by our engineers.

Please let me know if you'd like m e to forward your concerns/information to your dealership, and get you set up with an appointment for an inspection.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care"

Amber:

1. It is not a seat adjustment issue.
2. The seat is performing as designed. It is just a bad design.
3. Chevy has already sent me to the dealer. They have no answers.
4. Sending the complaints from all these people "to our design team for future improvement" is a non-solution.
5. I've tried numerous pads and cushions and have found some relief but driving this wonderful car is still a chore.
6. I know you have a tough job with no solutions at your fingertips. You are just the messenger. But can you explain why Chevy is so willing to risk the satisfaction of so many customers at such a critical time in the launch of the EV market?

So that bolt protruding into the driver's side left bolster is designed to make thighs numb? I suggest that people start sending photos of them to GM.

"can you explain why Chevy is so willing to risk the satisfaction of so many customers ..."

Aren't they risking the DISsatisfaction of customers??

As Chevy LIQUIDATES their rotting U.S. Bolt EV inventory...
Absurd hyperbole. If you dislike the seats, don't buy the car. Personally, I find them acceptable.

Chevy has shown a profound disinterest in the topic, so they apparently view the seats as a non-issue, or they would have changed them. Since they didn't, it's a good bet that they won't, so give it a rest.

Back