I'm shopping for an EV. What's next?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do look at used Leafs, limit your search to those built AFTER March of 2013*, through 2015. Also pre-2013 Leafs with new replacement packs. Those all have the better packs, with the 2015 being the best: the famous "Lizard" pack. I dubbed the first version of the pack the "Canary" pack because of its fragility in heat, and the second, 4/2013-2014 version the "Wolf" pack because of its durability in all but Hot climates.

* They actually used the old chemistry for the first three build months of 2013, despite the cases having been changed. Cars built in these months degrade just as fast as the 2011-2012 Leafs.

The more I look into the new model Leaf, the more I like it. I turned down the offer on my car because I'm not into paying full retail, and leasing doesn't make sense because subsidized deals aren't available to me. I can wait a couple of years.

OYMgiJO.jpg

Nismo please.

Yeah, I really want my BEV to have more than 100 mile range. It doesn't have to be a lot more than 100 - just enough to calm my anxiety. I have an older, efficient, low-polluting ICE for long trips, and when that dies I'll buy a PHEV to replace it (electric for around town, gas for long trips). So an Ioniq or LEAF2 (maybe an extended range eGolf) would be fine - used.

It's just that I have to turn in my lease next year, and I don't think that there will be many 100+ BEVs on the used market at that time. So as I said earlier, I guess I'll just buy a used LEAF1 and drive that for a couple of years until I can buy what I want (there should be TONS of 2015-16 LEAFs on the market soon). Or maybe there will be a wonderful 2020 model year "eSomething with 350-mile range and 150 kW fast-charge that I fall in love with and will buy new for $40K.

I liked the LEAF2 I saw. I like the Bolt (I can always replace the driver's seat if I don't like it - $20K gives one a lot of leeway for modifications and upgrades).

Just be careful, 2018 and older Leafs have a battery design problem. We think that they are going to improve upon that in 2019 with Thermal Management. Even if you believe you won't be affected, remember the negative reputation will depreciate your vehicle more rapidly. Chevy has engineered their battery much better than Nissan currently does.

As mentioned earlier, Kia Soul is also having engineering problems with their batteries. And then there is Hyundai, it's battery cooling design is the same as the Kia Soul and will most likely suffer the same degradation problem. Their battery comes with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser but is not transferable. That might make the Hyundai car value plummet in the used car market.

SparkE said:
I guess I'll just buy a used LEAF1 and drive that for a couple of years until I can buy what I want (there should be TONS of 2015-16 LEAFs on the market soon).

I liked the LEAF2 I saw. I like the Bolt (I can always replace the driver's seat if I don't like it - $20K gives one a lot of leeway for modifications and upgrades).

I'm flip-flopping on this. Just when I think the decision has been made to keep driving my car, I consider that I could sell the B250e, pick up a used Leaf, drive it for a year or two, and have ~$17,000 in my pocket waiting for a deal on a used 2018 Leaf.

Evoforce said:
Just be careful, 2018 and older Leafs have a battery design problem. We think that they are going to improve upon that in 2019 with Thermal Management. Even if you believe you won't be affected, remember the negative reputation will depreciate your vehicle more rapidly. Chevy has engineered their battery much better than Nissan currently does.

Depreciation is only applicable if I sell the vehicle (instead of, say, giving it to one of my kids). Also, if I 'lose' $3000 in depreciation over 2 years (BTW, LEAFs are selling for US$7-8K at the moment, BEFORE that glut of 2015s hits the market) - well, $1500/yr is pretty darn cheap in terms of depreciation. If I bought a 6-year-old Honda Civic, I'd lose that much (if not more) - and pay more up front for the 'pleasure'.

I know someone that bought a used LEAF with all 12 bars still available - 3 years old, 33,000 miles. He loves it. Myself, I could live with it but I doubt I'd love it. But I'd like it more than a Civic.

That is the idea. It's why I'm asking for advice from the forum to help me choose. I recognize that there are members on this board with a lot more experience with EV's than I have who can help me.

oilerlord said:
That is the idea. It's why I'm asking for advice from the forum to help me choose. I recognize that there are members on this board with a lot more experience with EV's than I have who can help me.
Based on various posts, I think you should be looking for....
A B250e :eek: :lol:
Seriously, it seems like it fits what you want (you chose it once already), but you are tempted by the opportunity to make a few $$$. How much are you willing to compromise in order to "earn" whatever you will make by downgrading (interior and ride quality, fit and finish, range, comfort, cargo space, etc).

I have no idea what you paid for your current B-Class, nor what you are being offered, but multiple 2014's are available from dealers in the PNW for an asking price of $20K to $23K. 2015's seem to about $25K.

Flip yours and get another?
Or decide what you are willing to give up. I can't see you really looking at something like the Spark EV, 500e, smart fortwo, etc.
In my opinion, reasonable degree of comfort and space in used EV's would be LEAF, e-Golf, Soul EV.

LEAF prices are easy to find, but have definitely risen by $2K+ as the supply of new dried up.
Soul EV+ (probably most desirable trim level for you) asking around $16K to $18K
e-Golf SEL Premium seem to be in the same range
If this one strikes your fancy, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the GM of the dealership. No guarantee of a better price, but a good place to start:
https://www.beavertonhonda.com/inve...el-premium-fwd-4d-hatchback-wvwpp7au3fw901809

My 2014 B250e had 6,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has 25K miles. For what I was offered for my B250e, I could probably pick up a 2015 model with ~10,000 miles on it. Really though, I don't think it's worth the effort in making a sideways move like that.

His offer to buy my car came out of the blue. It also came in at the dead of winter's cold - at a time that I'm driving within the confines of less than 50 miles of range. I wasn't at all considering selling the car, but the offer prompted me to reassess. To your point, I love the B-Class. If Mercedes offered a B250e with a 40+ kWh (usable) battery pack and fast charging, and within my budget, it's the one I'd buy in a heartbeat.

I like the e-Golf a lot, but again I look at it as a somewhat sideways move. The smart play might be selling my car, picking up an $8,000 Leaf, and banking the rest. That would tide me over 1-2 years before used 120-200 mile EV's begin to fit my budget.

Back