winterescape

Re: Can I use a splitter to charge 2 Bolts?

Pigwich wrote:So wait a minute....... Stop the presses :D

You mean to tell me that the crappy "portable" plug that lives in the trunk of every bolt on the lot of every dealership is actually a TurboCord in disguise? That we can just pork 220V to it and it's just gonna....work? Electrically, yeah I totally see how this is possible, there's no reason that it couldn't be made to do both with zero configuration, but aside from GM only needing to make one version of the PCB inside, is the only difference the plug style and the sticker?
Yes
here is the inside view of the board
http://imgur.com/a/vFkP5

And here are the adapters, you can buy or go buy the parts at home depot and build your own...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/384390572/ ... l-2-charge

this site has great detail about all this in the Bolt and Volt sections
http://carcharging.us/
mecdatlanta

Yes Pigwich, it's true! I bought the same adapter that is referenced in the previous post. And it works like a charm. Decreased my charging times quite a bit actually (maybe 75% less than on 110V).

So now I am looking at having a splitter to be able to charge two Bolts from one 50a. I'll have a bit of a hodgepodge of adapters and a splitter, but that's fine. It all works and it's a lot cheaper than having a second outlet installed and buying EVSE charging stations that I don't need.
Pigwich

Well, I'll be the first to admit that I didn't believe any of you. I figured for sure that this would have been something that GM would have insisted on crippling from the the start in the name of "safety" or some other bullshit.

Well I'm here to say that I've been born again. I hooked up a NEMA 6-20 socket and built the converter cord out of some 12-3 and a few plug ends, and lo and behold it's working at 220V 3KW or so..

I was half expecting smoke when I plugged it in, but there it is, cranking away. I might need a bearing job on the electric meter on the house, but all is well. The whole house is pulling down close to 11KW, so I know it's working at it's full rated power.

This really does "change everything" since I no longer have the need to unplug and schlep my big EVSE with me when I go on road trips. Yeah, it's not full power, but man, it's WAY better than 110V.

Thanks! Super glad this works, and especially big kudos for opening up the box and taking a look at the PCB. I wasn't even going to bother, since I assumed that they'd all be like the ones that ship with the Nissans.

Thanks!!
winterescape wrote:
Yes
here is the inside view of the board
http://imgur.com/a/vFkP5

And here are the adapters, you can buy or go buy the parts at home depot and build your own...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/384390572/ ... l-2-charge

this site has great detail about all this in the Bolt and Volt sections
http://carcharging.us/
(´・(oo)・`)
desiv

Pigwich wrote:Well, I'll be the first to admit that I didn't believe any of you. I figured for sure that this would have been something that GM would have insisted on crippling from the the start in the name of "safety" or some other bullshit.

Well I'm here to say that I've been born again. I hooked up a NEMA 6-20 socket and built the converter cord out of some 12-3 and a few plug ends, and lo and behold it's working at 220V 3KW or so..

I was half expecting smoke when I plugged it in, but there it is, cranking away. I might need a bearing job on the electric meter on the house, but all is well. The whole house is pulling down close to 11KW, so I know it's working at it's full rated power.
What?
It worked?
We were all just saying that to see if you would actually try it!!!!

;-)

Kidding!!!! ;-)

Yeah, I was surprised myself when I read it. But then when I read that it was a ClipperCreek unit in there, I figured it was pretty safe..
I made the cord for mine just as a backup, in case my L2 EVSE breaks.

I was going to make some more adapters to use in an RV park if needed, etc.. But then I thought about how long it would take to get a meaningful charge if I am somewhere where only RV parks are available. 8 or so miles gained per hour of charge is better than 4, but nowhere near 25. ;-)
And I'm really not likely to put myself in that situation anyway...

Congrats!

desiv
LeftieBiker

lo and behold it's working at 220V
That would be 240 volts.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.
BarfOMatic

LeftieBiker wrote:
lo and behold it's working at 220V
That would be 240 volts.
Actually, it could be any voltage between 205 and 255, depending on the situation near his home (although between 230-245V is most likely).
SeanNelson

desiv wrote:I was going to make some more adapters to use in an RV park if needed, etc.. But then I thought about how long it would take to get a meaningful charge if I am somewhere where only RV parks are available.
The way to deal with RV parks is to have a Tesla UMC you can bring with you, along with a J-Adapter and also a few of the Tesla 240V plug adapters. That way you can take full advantage of whatever power the park can deliver, with the Tesla UMC automatically adjusting itself to provide the appropriate power level based on the AC plug type.
BoltEV

Pigwich wrote:You mean to tell me that the crappy "portable" plug that lives in the trunk of every bolt on the lot of every dealership is actually a TurboCord in disguise?
Except that the modified OEM adapter that GM/Chevy supplies only charges at 12 amps and the TurboCord will charge at 16 amps at 240 volts for a 33% improvement in charge times.

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”