How many actual Bolt owners on this forum?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son owns one (2017 Bolt LT) and is not on this forum but i own 2 Leafs and a Tesla. I'm living his Bolt experience vicariously through him! :lol:

What we like about our Chevy Bolt so far, besides the 238 mile EPA range, is how much fun it is to drive with one-pedal driving and 266 lb⋅ft of torque. It's very comfortable, roomy, and has a touch screen Infotainment center with Apple CarPlay.

h8W2zRzl.jpg

I have had my Bolt since July 1, 2017. 10000 miles and counting.... The best car I ever owned or drove.... I have done about 3000 miles long distance driving to prove to myself that its a great long distance car, as well as a wonderful everyday driver.

Having been on the Leaf/Bolt fence for many months, I put a deposit on a 2018 Leaf today. I'm not here to crow, though: I'm not happy with the choices and compromises I've had to make, and I'm really, REALLY not happy with the choices that Nissan has made with the 40kwh battery. I'll be envying the Bolt's TMS for years to come, I fear. I do expect to have a comfortable ride, anyway.

LeftieBiker said:
Having been on the Leaf/Bolt fence for many months, I put a deposit on a 2018 Leaf today. I'm not here to crow, though: I'm not happy with the choices and compromises I've had to make, and I'm really, REALLY not happy with the choices that Nissan has made with the 40kwh battery. I'll be envying the Bolt's TMS for years to come, I fear. I do expect to have a comfortable ride, anyway.

I was going to congratulate you on your new ride, but it sounds like you bought it very begrudgingly. I'm sorry that you are so unhappy with such a large purchase. It speaks to the need for more options on the market.

Thanks. How many folks here hate the interior of their car, and did before they even picked it up? I had to get white with light grey leather seats (I'm a vegetarian) to get Around View (same dick move that GM made) and I'm getting the light color to slow battery heating in Summer. Oh, and speaking of Dick Moves: Nissan is now pocketing most of the residual on the SV and SL. GM should just acquire them.

LeftieBiker said:
Congratulations? Or condolences? I have a rule wherein I don't buy things (especially $30,000 or $40,000 things) that make me 'really really' not happy, or that are defined by 'dick moves'.
I am really, REALLY happy with my Bolt interior, Bolt seats, Bolt battery, and Bolt temperature management system, not to mention my Bolt 200-260 mile range.
Good luck with your NotHappyDickMoveCompromiseMobile. (?)

First, I leased it. Second, the Bolt would likely turn to be the "dick move" for me, because of the harsh ride and poor seats. Third, if I do grow to like the Leaf, I'll be able to afford to buy it off lease, unlike the Bolt. Finally, since I have to turn in my $17k residual (plus tax) 2013 Leaf (which I love except for the range), I do have to drive something. Sometimes there is no great choice.

LeftieBiker said:
First, I leased it. Second, the Bolt would likely turn to be the "dick move" for me, because of the harsh ride and poor seats. Third, if I do grow to like the Leaf, I'll be able to afford to buy it off lease, unlike the Bolt. Finally, since I have to turn in my $17k residual (plus tax) 2013 Leaf (which I love except for the range), I do have to drive something. Sometimes there is no great choice.

Again, good luck with your LEASED ReallyNotHappyDickMoveCompromiseMobile.
I was just pondering the image of myself tapping away on a leaf site, on a thread about leaf owners,
complaining about my Bolt. Just seemed sorta' odd.
Glad you found a car that, um, sucks less than the Bolt for you. Choice is a good thing.

Filter updated.

Anyway, just to make it a little clearer, this really was an agonizing choice for me. What it came down to in the end was that with a Leaf I could get everything I wanted in one car - except cloth seats. The "new" Leaf has very adequate power, handles fine for me, and has a better driver assist suite. With the Bolt there would be no way to fix the ride, or the cabin layout I don't like. Nissan really made some, er, Dick Moves with the 'Leaf Too' but in the end, with good custom fit seat covers, I think I'll be happier with the Leaf... if the battery doesn't degrade quickly. If it does, and if GM comes out with a Bolt-powered CUV, I may be sailing the other way in three years.

I'll still look at this forum occasionally, when the Leaf forum is slow, but now that I've bought my ticket I'll be sailing off in another direction. Feel free to wish me Bon Voyage.

LeftieBiker said:
Filter updated.

Anyway, just to make it a little clearer, this really was an agonizing choice for me. What it came down to in the end was that with a Leaf I could get everything I wanted in one car - except cloth seats. The "new" Leaf has very adequate power, handles fine for me, and has a better driver assist suite. With the Bolt there would be no way to fix the ride, or the cabin layout I don't like. Nissan really made some, er, Dick Moves with the 'Leaf Too' but in the end, with good custom fit seat covers, I think I'll be happier with the Leaf... if the battery doesn't degrade quickly. If it does, and if GM comes out with a Bolt-powered CUV, I may be sailing the other way in three years.

I'll still look at this forum occasionally, when the Leaf forum is slow, but now that I've bought my ticket I'll be sailing off in another direction. Feel free to wish me Bon Voyage.
Laughed out loud. Filter updated? Really? Oh well.
Seriously though, good luck with your leaf, and watch your battery temps.
See you back in 3 years. :)

I've never been 100% happy with a car either. I think the only way to get your perfect car is to build it yourself. But I have neither the skills, time, nor money for that. So I too just take the option with the fewest compromises. I strongly considered the "Leaf Too" (love the nick-name; it's very fitting). I have different priorities than you, and a Bolt was a much better fit. For my next car, though, Nissan is anything but off the table.

I suspect you will be just fine with your Leaf battery. The degradation ordeal at MNL is blown out of proportion by a very vocal minority. You live in upstate NY, which has a cold climate. I had a 2012 Leaf for 5.5 years, and lost about 20%. But it seemed stabilize once I stopped charging in the heat of the day during the summer months. With a bigger battery, that's even easier to do (even evening errands could be run on a single charge, without having to top off in the afternoon). Also, Nissan has been working their chemistry to make the battery more heat tolerant over time. I hope that the 40kWh battery holds up, although we don't yet have enough data to know for sure.

You live in upstate NY, which has a cold climate.

If that was ever true, it no longer is. No more Frigid winters here, and very few mild Summers. I too was able to slow degradation by changing my charging habits, but having to do that means inadequate battery cooling. And the 40kwh pack has less passive cooling than my 24kwh pack, with more internal heat production. I'm not looking forward to babying the car just to get only somewhat more degradation. As for the seats, once good custom-fit covers are available I'll likely be fine, but with crappy universal fit covers on them the interior is going to look like sh*t.

Still, I pick the car up today, and I hope to enjoy it at least some of the time!

IMG_20180428_091307629_HDR.jpg

GetOffYourGas said:
I've never been 100% happy with a car either. I think the only way to get your perfect car is to build it yourself. But I have neither the skills, time, nor money for that. So I too just take the option with the fewest compromises. I strongly considered the "Leaf Too" (love the nick-name; it's very fitting). I have different priorities than you, and a Bolt was a much better fit. For my next car, though, Nissan is anything but off the table.

I suspect you will be just fine with your Leaf battery. The degradation ordeal at MNL is blown out of proportion by a very vocal minority. You live in upstate NY, which has a cold climate. I had a 2012 Leaf for 5.5 years, and lost about 20%. But it seemed stabilize once I stopped charging in the heat of the day during the summer months. With a bigger battery, that's even easier to do (even evening errands could be run on a single charge, without having to top off in the afternoon). Also, Nissan has been working their chemistry to make the battery more heat tolerant over time. I hope that the 40kWh battery holds up, although we don't yet have enough data to know for sure.

At least Leftie is very informed and makes the decision based on that and his moderate climate. You are well informed also. The bad part is those that are uninformed about what they may face with a car that has a bad battery reputation. It may seem overblown to you because you probably have not had to deal with it, other than possibly the rapid depreciation because of that fact.

The bad part is those that are uninformed about what they may face with a car that has a bad battery reputation.

To make it worse for them, they are unlikely to have even heard about problems with the battery. If they read about it in social media, it will likely be the QC throttling, not the degradation that the throttling appears intended to slow.

Back