"High Voltage Charging System" message after repair

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

This is my first post in the forum so excuse me if i don't provide all the details. I just got my Bolt back after 3 weeks at a body shop (extensive body work after a side swipe :( ) After I got home i noticed a new message "High Voltage Charging System" as an alert. I also noticed that the car is not charging at the rate it should (25 miles an hr - I have a Level2 charger). It is charging but very slowly. What is wrong?

That is some very informative advice SparkE. Congrats to captain obvious for not having the slightest bit of info as to WHY this message is coming up when no damage was done to the battery !!

Does anyone actually know WHY this message appears, and HOW it is reset ??

Remby said:
Does anyone actually know WHY this message appears, and HOW it is reset ??
It comes up because there is a problem with the charging system. It is "reset" by fixing the problem. Not really any different than a "Bulb out" or "Low Tire Pressure" warning - correct the issue and the warning goes away.

DucRider said:
It comes up because there is a problem with the charging system. It is "reset" by fixing the problem. Not really any different than a "Bulb out" or "Low Tire Pressure" warning - correct the issue and the warning goes away.
Well put.

Remby said:
...Does anyone actually know WHY this message appears, and HOW it is reset ??
From the Owners Manual, Pg 135;
"Messages displayed in the DIC indicate the status of the vehicle or some action that may be needed to correct a condition. Multiple messages may display one after the other.
The messages that do not require immediate action can be acknowledged and cleared by pressing V ("checkmark" button).
The messages that require immediate action cannot be cleared until that action is performed.
All messages should be taken seriously; clearing the message does not correct the problem.
The following are the possible messages and some information about them....
SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM
This message displays when there is a problem with the high voltage charging system. See your dealer for service."

gpanyam said:
Hi

This is my first post in the forum so excuse me if i don't provide all the details. I just got my Bolt back after 3 weeks at a body shop (extensive body work after a side swipe :( ) After I got home i noticed a new message "High Voltage Charging System" as an alert. I also noticed that the car is not charging at the rate it should (25 miles an hr - I have a Level2 charger). It is charging but very slowly. What is wrong?

You get this in the VOLT when the glycol sensor doesn't work, or the battery radiator glycol level is low due to a leak.

IN the BOLT ev, there is a tell-tale drain plug at the very bottom of the battery to open and see if any glycol drips out. If its dry so far so good, if a lot of Glycol drips out, the battery has suffered trauma and is leaking at a minimum. After enough has leaked out you'll get the message you are getting.

So, the first thing I'd do is check the overflow tank for the battery radiator and see if the level is low.

Did you find out what the problem was? I am getting this error in my 2019 Bolt and a dealership I went to told me the whole battery is going to have to be replaced but I suspect they just don't know what they're doing

If you have any information please text me at 304-712-0053 or send me an email at [email protected]

Back