SOC Guage on vehicle?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, to me this is not a "geeky" request. This is one of practicality. The app is very slow to read out and it is illegal to touch your phone while driving (in CA at least). The car has no knowledge about what lies ahead. It can only predict based on past information. A driver can make better decisions if we have the data about what the car actually has rather than the Guess - o - Meter (GOM).

I would like to avoid needing "Bolt Spy" type add ons. It would really be great if Chevy would simply provide the data on our screens in an enhanced mode. Less critical with a very large capacity, but much more useful to me than the GOM.

EldRick said:
If the concern is whether you can make those last 15 miles, I would never rely on a charge estimate to be accurate.
When a lithium battery comes near the bottom of its charge, voltage drops like a stone, and is even less predictable than usual because of the steep slope of the curve.

You can read LeafSpy in kWhs remaining or in GIDs, either one gives you very good, reliable info on exactly how much further you might go, factoring in your knowledge of your upcoming route.

Hi Amber,

Re:

IMG_6395.JPG

Can you tell us at approximately what kWh level remaining will trigger each low SOC message? Given a new battery pack and optimal ambient temperature. Thanks

Edit: witness this thread, this is what I'm on about:

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5909

Are they not allowing you to respond Amber? That's OK, we'll figure out the levels that trigger CVS, PPR, and OOE-CVN. But it would be a good move to indicate that in the manual and include a kWh gauge on the dash. Really low SOCs are precisely when a driver wants that information. Vague warnings only add to range anxiety. We're all fully paid for adults, we can decide for ourselves how low to go.

I think the SOC gauge is coming on the next update at a cost to the vehicle owner, just one more way for the manufacturer to make more money out of us :cry:

ChevyCustomerCare said:
These look great, Larry!

I'll log the mock-ups you've made within our internal systems.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Amber
I like larrys suggestions but please pass on that if you add that they need to add the SOC to he infotainment center also. As it own screen that you can customize. Since there are not very many options for your "home screen". They need to add many more. Thanks.

Zago said:
I think the SOC gauge is coming on the next update at a cost to the vehicle owner, just one more way for the manufacturer to make more money out of us :cry:

Why do you think this?

Posatronic said:
ChevyCustomerCare said:
These look great, Larry!

I'll log the mock-ups you've made within our internal systems.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Amber
I like larrys suggestions but please pass on that if you add that they need to add the SOC to he infotainment center also. As it own screen that you can customize. Since there are not very many options for your "home screen". They need to add many more. Thanks.

Will do, Posatronic! Let me know if there's anything else I can document and pass along for you guys.

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Sparky, all that information is already in the vehicle's BMS, individual cell temperatures, voltages, charge/discharge rates, SOC, etc. and the Bolt has hardware capable of supporting a lot more data than they are giving us now on that nice 10 inch display, a cheap $10 OBD Bluetooth and the torque app on my phone gives me more info than the silly "battery info" I get from the Bolt display. I know that not everyone cares about all the extra BMS info but everyone wants an SOC displayed, a list as an option that you can view if you want to, and software developers are paying attention to what people want and be willing to pay for, so they can include it in the next software update...

SparkE said:
Zago said:

Why do you think this?
Ah. You 'guess', not you 'are sure' (both synonyms of 'think' in this usage). OK, I get that.

Hello, did you guys find the SOC, % or KWH value displayed on the can bus ? If so on the high speed or low speed network? Passive or upon request ?

If possible can you send me the correct can ID : [email protected]

EuroTech said:
Hello, did you guys find the SOC, % or KWH value displayed on the can bus ? If so on the high speed or low speed network? Passive or upon request ?

I found a can bus formats on another forum: https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/10-technical-discussion/26666-chevrolet-bolt-obd2-pids.html

Hoping to buy a Bolt soon, wish I had time to work on an app for it.

like2bike said:
EuroTech said:

I found a can bus formats on another forum: https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/10-technical-discussion/26666-chevrolet-bolt-obd2-pids.html

Hoping to buy a Bolt soon, wish I had time to work on an app for it.

Not waiting for Chevy, I love using the LELink OBD-II Tool and the ODB FUsion app to display real-time vehicle stats.
The link to the chevybolt.org forum shared above by like2bike is invaluable for understanding and utilizing the dozens of PIDs
available for the Bolt.

0M2nP_bZgZulULVSe2EjpfOZkgSQGkvqdzn-IXpGvsPh6jd1xefp2kicvALKCxboxPigaJ2e-I5Z8w_PNp_GgV1svd4YjHua0L0Pk9iDU-Sdvg60IfC-kbkmVLjxrGVkPi17tKbZVw=w2400

Here is a screenshot of my current iPhone dashboard

Back