Does Opening the Drivers Door Stop the Charging Process + Can One Sit in the Car While Charging?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyInGA

This morning, I went to my local ChargePoint.

1) After having to move my Bolt forward some (charging hose is too f'n short), and even then, I still had to fight the connection a bit, before I got her plugged in.

Now, I had planned on going into the BK and have a seat while the car was charging. But, alas, the dining area doesn't open until 11:00. So, I went back out to my car, and opened the drivers door, and I saw, Charging Stopped. So, there was some charging going on.

Just as I did that, I could have sworn that the IN USE indicator was lit. But, when I looked up again, the AVAILABLE was lit. Then, after repeated attempts, and using the CP app, I never got juiced up.

Now, to be honest, I was getting frustrated. So, I just stopped. But, I may end up getting billed for idol time because of this. :evil:

2) Can one sit in the car (no pacemaker to worry about) while the car is charging?

Of course you can sit in the car while charging. And have heat or A/C on while doing so with the car "idling" in P...all while charging.
As for not being to get charging again...could be anything. There have been the odd inexplicable times when it seems charging stopped for me.
Have you since done any charging elsewhere?

Bolt2019 said:
Of course you can sit in the car while charging. And have heat or A/C on while doing so with the car "idling" in P...all while charging.
As for not being to get charging again...could be anything. There have been the odd inexplicable times when it seems charging stopped for me.
Have you since done any charging elsewhere?
Thanks for the reply.

No. This was my first attempt at charging my EV.

And, here in Millegeville, GA, there is only 1 ChargePoint w/2 stations. But, there are 2 other EVCSs (Telsa and and unknown, as the Station isn't labeled).

Luckily, I went back This A.M., and it worked.

But, for the time it took to fully charge (01:29:00), it cost me more compared to my '18 Toyota C-HR ($22.25 vs $17.29). :cry:

Back