Hello from ChargePoint!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How accurate is the kWh reported by a Chargepoint station?

Is it kWh delivered to the car, or is it adjusted for some charging efficiency estimate? If adjusted, by what percentage?

WetEV said:

Is it kWh delivered to the car, or is it adjusted for some charging efficiency estimate? If adjusted, by what percentage?

My *guess* would be that it is the electricity delivered to the vehicle, since that is what you are buying ...

How could they guestimate the efficiency since that is determined by the charger in the vehicle?

SparkE said:
WetEV said:

My *guess* would be that it is the electricity delivered to the vehicle, since that is what you are buying ...

How could they guestimate the efficiency since that is determined by the charger in the vehicle?

I don't care to guess. So I ask.

Also, I'd guess that the kWh is plus or minus a few percent. But how many percent, I don't care to guess.

WetEV said:

Hi!
All of our products are accurate to less than 1 watt. It's a measure of how much “power” has passed through the station, not necessarily how much your battery “charged up”. For example, on a hot day, your car may have to run the cooling fan to cool the battery, which will show up on the total kWh reported, but not necessarily mean that your battery stored that power. The reported kWh is the total energy that you drew during the session.

Since the Chargepoint app can see SOC%, why isn't there a setting to terminate charging at certain SOC% ? may be there is, and I just haven't figured it out ?
Thanks

summit said:
Since the Chargepoint app can see SOC%, why isn't there a setting to terminate charging at certain SOC% ? may be there is, and I just haven't figured it out ?
Thanks

If you're using a public ChargePoint station you should receive a notification when you're full (https://www.chargepoint.com/support/driver-faq/#q9). This lets you know it's time to head back, unplug, and move your car to free up that space for others ;) , vs. the ChargePoint Home which lets you stop from the app. However, I've heard from other MyChevyBolt members that they'd like a button to stop charging from the app, too, even at destination chargers (perhaps they have similar needs for stopping by % like yours), so I've shared this feedback with the team previously. I really appreciate your suggestions because it's always helpful for our team to know what features you'd like to see added to the app!

Hey Chargepoint!

When are you guys gonna get the Delta AC Mini's certified for your network? I have four of them screwed to a wall, RFID enabled, powered and signed in and on WiFi in Los Angeles and all I need to do is enter the OCPP server addresses and credentials. Can I be your guinea pig?

Greenlots uses them, they couldn't be that horrible, but me and my wife are the only people I know with greenlots FOBs.

Thanks!

Having a way to terminate charge (with Home Charger) via a SOC % setting would be an awesome enhancement, mainly to prolong battery life. While the Bolt has Hilltop mode, which stops charge at 92% or so; I would rather stop ~50%-75% for most days (particularly when it's over 100F) since I don't need the full 200-mile every day.

Tesla vehicles have a sliding setting to stop charge at certain %SOC for example. The Chargepoint app already has the capability, just need a few line of codes. Plus, it can be used with other vehicle to Hilltop mode.

We live at 2200-ft, and the other two EVs, Volt and iMiEV, can use the Hilltop mode.

Thanks

Did this ever get resolved / finalized / implemented / whatever ??

Pigwich said:
... can I hook an OCPP-enabled charger that we already own at work up to Chargepoint? What are the fees? Greenlots and EVConnect will let us, but what about Chargepoint?

Pigwich said:
When are you guys gonna get the Delta AC Mini's certified for your network? I have four of them screwed to a wall, RFID enabled, powered and signed in and on WiFi in Los Angeles and all I need to do is enter the OCPP server addresses and credentials. Can I be your guinea pig?

Greenlots uses them, they couldn't be that horrible, but me and my wife are the only people I know with greenlots FOBs.

Thanks!

Nope, never implemented. Chargepoint won't work with my OCPP chargers at this time anyway.They only want to use their own hardware, which I get, and is fine, and I get it, plus they don't have OCPP but some proprietary protocol, which I get and is fine. But having owned my fair share of carrier locked cell phones over the years, the thought of having a piece of hardware that's supposed to last much longer tied to one vendor gives me the heebie-jeebies, as it should anybody. Just look at Blink. But for now it's gonna be Greenlots I guess. Gonna wait for final electrical signoff from the city and then turn on the old RFID card reader. Some day network providers will be competing for operator's machines. Or Google will just start an OCPP server and we can use Google Pay.

Hello Charge point need more chargers at Disney World Parks , Disney Hollywood Has no charge station and the others need More as it always full. Thank you

Pigwich said:
Nope, never implemented. Chargepoint won't work with my OCPP chargers at this time anyway.They only want to use their own hardware, which I get, and is fine, and I get it, plus they don't have OCPP but some proprietary protocol, which I get and is fine. But having owned my fair share of carrier locked cell phones over the years, the thought of having a piece of hardware that's supposed to last much longer tied to one vendor gives me the heebie-jeebies, as it should anybody. Just look at Blink. But for now it's gonna be Greenlots I guess. Gonna wait for final electrical signoff from the city and then turn on the old RFID card reader. Some day network providers will be competing for operator's machines. Or Google will just start an OCPP server and we can use Google Pay.

ChargePoint *says* that they support OCPP. "Connect any system and all Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP) compliant hardware to the ChargePoint network " : https://www.chargepoint.com/products/network/

They also say that their H/W supports OCPP.

And CP *does* integrate/manage other vendor's already-installed H/W at times (I have seen more than one, altho they WERE fast chargers).

Any OCPP hardware? Halarious, because 3 weeks ago they were telling me about a "rip and replace" program where I could throw away the four perfectly good chargers I just bought to then turn around and buy theirs, which are probably fine hardware and all, but will be trash if they ever get bought out, fail, or decide to have terrible terms of service.

Hey Chargepoint, please get back to me on hooking up my Delta AC Minis. I have them on Wifi already, I just need the OCPP server credentials!!

summit said:
Having a way to terminate charge (with Home Charger) via a SOC % setting would be an awesome enhancement, mainly to prolong battery life. While the Bolt has Hilltop mode, which stops charge at 92% or so; I would rather stop ~50%-75% for most days (particularly when it's over 100F) since I don't need the full 200-mile every day.

Tesla vehicles have a sliding setting to stop charge at certain %SOC for example. The Chargepoint app already has the capability, just need a few line of codes.
It is not "a few line of codes" for the home "charger" (it's not a charger, it's an EVSE). For L1 and L2 AC charging over J1772, the external unit is an EVSE, basically a smart safety switch. The charger is on-board the car. There's nothing in the J1772 standard and protocol for the EVSE know the state of charge of the connected vehicle nor for the connected vehicle to tell the EVSE.

For DC fast charging, yes, the charger (the external unit is a charger or rather an EVSE w/off-board charger) knows due to them using a totally different protocol.

For the J1772 AC charging case, the best the EVSE and software can do is make an educated guess. I hear Juicebox has some tools to help w/that but again, the Juicebox L2 EVSE cannot know due to J1772 limitations.

summit said:

Tesla vehicles have a sliding setting to stop charge at certain %SOC for example. The Chargepoint app already has the capability, just need a few line of codes. Plus, it can be used with other vehicle to Hilltop mode.

We live at 2200-ft, and the other two EVs, Volt and iMiEV, can use the Hilltop mode.

Thanks

The *car* can do it in Software (the car controls the AC 120V/240V {i.e., J1772} charging, as just stated). Tesla did implement this in their implementation. The 2019 Bolt also allows one to do this. But it isn't the EVSE (exterior charging cord) that does it.

On an older Bolt, you can "fake" it by programming "departure mode charging" (the car will "just finish charging", i.e., be fully charged, at the time you say). It is a kludge (hack, estimate, etc), but it will "get you close".

You'd have to know the fastest YOUR home charging setup will charge. If you have :
-16A/240V, then : ~3.8 kW
-24A/240V, then : ~ 5.7 kW
-32A/240V, then : ~ 7.6 kW

Suppose you want the charge to normally be : 75% in the morning. You would figure out how many hours it would take to charge 25% of the battery (15 kW) and then set the "departure time" to be that far LATER than when you actually leave.

-16A : 15/3.8 = ~4 hours
-24A : 15/5.7 = ~2h40min
-32A : 15/7.6 = ~1h50min

So, if you normally leave at 8 in the morning, and have a 16A charger, you'd program "departure time" to be noon. When you leave at 8 a.m., the battery would be about 75% full. Or, simply unplug the EVSE at 7:30 if you'd rather the charge be closer to 70%.

If you *also* set "hilltop" mode (around 89% is 'full'), then the time calculations would be "how long for my EVSE to charge 15%" instead of 25% (because the car will be calculating/setting the charging such that at your programmed "departure time" will be when the car is at about 89% of "full, really full"). That calculation is left as an exercise for the reader.

ChargePoint said:
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

...stations are owned and maintained by the hosts. The business owners set the pricing their stations, and often the business owners provide charging for free or at a reduced cost because they want to attract customers and employees to their locations...
Well, the owner(s) of the ChargePoint station in Mil, GA sure isn't doing this!

Not only do they charge $0.25/minute idle time, the cost is charging is the same! So, my 01:29:00 + 00:01:00 before I got out, cost me $22.25 vs $17.29 for my old '18 C-HR.

Now, this may have already been discussed (still searching, but 741 posts are a lot to go through), but how does the ChargePoint refund thing work?

I got an Email from you saying, We funded your account with $10.00 from your payment source on file, which will be applied to future charging sessions.

So, does this mean, that on my next charge session, my bill will be $10.00 less?

Thank you.

Back