The Chevy Bolt Requires Little Maintenance

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Signed up for a first generation Leaf the year before it was commercially available (6.5 years ago) for the same reason purchased a Bolt last month. Been calling the reason "mechanics independence", analogous to "energy independence". As someone who is not so in the know about the mechanics of internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles, I find it a relief to avoid going into the shop as frequently, and face mechanics who in the past would "find something" extra to offer to fix at the same time as other services and "at a discount", but actually learn later from auto-savvy male counterparts that there was no discount. "Mechanics independence" is my rationale. Many other ladies may follow suit, now that long-range battery EVs for the masses are approaching the driving range of economy ICEs (e.g., one charge session yielding almost as many miles to the tank), so that range anxiety is becoming a thing of the past for those who opt for battery EVs ... and mechanics independence.

So I just read through the owner's manual. There's basically no maintenance aside from general brake/tire stuff. Brake fluid gets changed every 5 years regardless of mileage; 5 years is a long time. Coolant and other fluids get changed at 150,000 miles. And that's basically it. There's no 600-mile service, no 3k, 5k, or 10k service, etc. It just works.

CGameProgrammer said:
So I just read through the owner's manual. There's basically no maintenance aside from general brake/tire stuff. Brake fluid gets changed every 5 years regardless of mileage; 5 years is a long time. Coolant and other fluids get changed at 150,000 miles. And that's basically it. There's no 600-mile service, no 3k, 5k, or 10k service, etc. It just works.

That's pretty damned good. I'm surprised about the brake fluid not having to be changed for that long. Perhaps they are using a new type that doesn't require changing as often as the stuff used in standard cards these days.

oilerlord said:
Tessy said:
I'm not sold on all the praising of electric vehicles and the Chevy Bolt for that matter in regards to no or low maintenance. I couldn't really care about a typo in the main article heading. IMO give it a few years we will see what is good what is not good about electric vehicle maintenance. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

I'm guessing the majority of buyers will lease the $40,000 Bolt (or any other new EV), so low or zero maintenance is a moot point for them. The only people that need be concerned with maintenance are buyers (like me) that might grab a Bolt in 2-3 years when it becomes an obsolete, and unloved $16,000 used car.

I love 'low maintenance' because it means that I still own my Chevy Bolt, which is coming soon! 'No maintenance' means that I must be riding my bicycle but even that requires air in the tires once in awhile.

CGameProgrammer said:

600 mile, 3K, 5K service? :eek: What are you driving, something from the 1950's? Make sure you get a fresh set of points and condenser in that thing. No wonder you are dying to go electric.

Hit the page down key for the rest of the recommended service.

I mean all motorcycles and some cars have a 600-mile service, and then the regular service is either at 3k, 5-6k, or 10k miles depending on the vehicle.

sam said:
BoltSchedule.JPG

From the manual:

"Required Services" are listed in nearby in the manual, stuff like inspecting brake pad thickness, tire tread, etc..
(1) is more frequently in dusty conditions or something like that.
(2) indicates every 5 years if the mileage is not reached.
(3) is every 5 years, regardless of mileage.

So not maintenance-free, but less maintenance than an internal combustion engine car, since there are no engine oil changes (easy but messy), spark plug (or glow plug) changes, clutch lining or automatic transmission fluid changes, or engine air filter changes. No worries about failing smog inspection either.

The tire rotation, cabin air filter, and inspections should be relatively easy for those with DIY car maintenance experience (and the needed information, like how to change the cabin air filter and the torque for the wheel nuts/bolts is in the owner's manual).

boltage said:
sam said:

From the manual:

"Required Services" are listed in nearby in the manual, stuff like inspecting brake pad thickness, tire tread, etc..
(1) is more frequently in dusty conditions or something like that.
(2) indicates every 5 years if the mileage is not reached.
(3) is every 5 years, regardless of mileage.

So not maintenance-free, but less maintenance than an internal combustion engine car, since there are no engine oil changes (easy but messy), spark plug (or glow plug) changes, clutch lining or automatic transmission fluid changes, or engine air filter changes. No worries about failing smog inspection either.

The tire rotation, cabin air filter, and inspections should be relatively easy for those with DIY car maintenance experience (and the needed information, like how to change the cabin air filter and the torque for the wheel nuts/bolts is in the owner's manual).

Exactly - and brake pads will wear MUCH less on the Bolt EV - like all EV's with regen. The cabin air filter is hardly crucial.

Seriously, as far as brake pads go, I am still on the original pads on my regular diesel car with 131,000 miles on it. I will never replace the pads on my Bolt that almost entirely uses regen for braking.

CGameProgrammer said:
Seriously, as far as brake pads go, I am still on the original pads on my regular diesel car with 131,000 miles on it. I will never replace the pads on my Bolt that almost entirely uses regen for braking.

Agreed, when we sold our 2002 Prius it had 160K miles and original brakes, with no sign of needing a replacement yet.

CGameProgrammer said:

Since this has suddenly become "serious", front brake pads on a TDI don't typically last 131,000 miles unless you're a hypermiler or drive mostly highway miles.

I do neither but I don't brake abruptly nor ride the brakes like some people do, which really wears them down. Also mine are near the end of their life, to be fair, but the car is being sold back to VW so it no longer matters.

I leased a Spark EV for the last three and a half years. In that time I brought it into the dealer once for a hood latch recall and had the cabin hvac filter changed. Total cost $65. No brake replacement... almost never used them because the car slows itself down without brakes in L. Three and a half years, $65! That's no maintenance to me.

Not being one who likes making a duplicate thread, I did a search for, Cleaning under the hood, and this topic was the only one that mentioned those words, but not in search order.

So, for cleaning under the hood, how is it done?

Once a year, I would take my gasoline car to the neighborhood self-serve Car Wash, and clean the engine.

Does anyone on the Forum here clean under the hood? And, if so, how do you do it?

Thank you,

Ah, no. Got my 2017 used which now has 26K miles and my under hood looks basically new, including Chicago winters. I could almost eat off it in there. I just remove a few leaves up at the vent intake. Might depend on the area since if I still lived in AZ I'd probably need to blow some dust out of it every year or two.

The last time I had to clean an ICE engine was my 2002 Camry but it was very old at that point. No oil gaskets to leak on an EV although you might splash some of the wiper fluid. I am completely loving zero maintenance EV life!

2017 four years in and zero maintenance and zero trips to the dealer; the underhood is only lightly dusty. The brakes will last forever. We drive for weeks without ever using the friction brakes.

jack vines

Back