Charging At Home

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airspeed

What does this mean on my 2020 Bolt; When charging at home (120) the dash light flashes green but there are also 2 red light flashes??? Thanks Ed.

Ah yes, the old flashing red light question. It means the car alarm is active. It's buried in the manual and difficult to find. Yeah, I didn't know my car had one either. By the way, I also see it when using my 240V ClipperCreek charger.
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/flashing-red-light.31405/#post-472499

Buying a 2022 EUV soon. I have a 30 amp 220 VC outlet in place (unused electric dryer outlet). What happens if I plug in the 40 charger that comes with the car? The circuit is protected by 30 amp breakers.

It will take me awhile to arrange for a 40 amp 220 V plug. Thanks

JohnP said:
Buying a 2022 EUV soon. I have a 30 amp 220 VC outlet in place (unused electric dryer outlet). What happens if I plug in the 40 charger that comes with the car? The circuit is protected by 30 amp breakers.

Caveat : I do NOT have an "EUV".

All I have rad about the dual charge cord is that the plug is a 14-50 for 240V, and that it pulls 32A. If that is true, then it is not safe to use on a 30A circuit. The max "continuous" draw (for over 30 mins) on any electrical circuit is 80% of the max rate, so a max of 24A should be pulled from a 30A circuit.

HOWEVER, in this article :
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1131710_first-drive-review-2022-chevrolet-bolt-euv-is-a-better-bolt

they wrote :

Chevrolet will cover standard installation of a Level 2 charger with the purchase or lease of a Bolt. For those who, like me, don’t have access to home charging in an apartment, Chevrolet will provide charging-station credit in some form—though how much you would get has not yet been finalized. Details for these programs will be released closer to the on-sale date for the Bolt EUV in early summer.

If that is true, ask at the dealer. Have them install a 50A circuit (for free) in your garage. If not, buy an inexpensive 240V/16A EVSE for home use (3.8 kW, so about 15 miles an hour ; 12 hours overnight = 180 miles).

I would add that the 2022 Bolt EUV is apparently capable of 11.5 kW (48A 240VAC) level 2 charging .. That would require a 60A 240VAC circuit.

Yes, "capable of". there is wording "with additional equipment". The supplied charge cord doe NOT provide that much current.

Possibly there is a problem with your 115v power source.
Maybe your 12v battery (under the hood) is going bad, that battery is known to cause “issues” when it starts going bad.
Lots of other possibilities and perhaps you should consider a dealer if the above doesn’t help.

The stock Bolt EUV white dual voltage charge cord should not be plugged into a dryer outlet.
It has a NEMA 14-50 plug. The dryer will have a NEMA 14-30 (or maybe 10-30, if it's old) receptacle.
The charge cord will draw 32 amps, and should pop the circuit breaker.

If you are not buying new, I don't think GM will offer a home charging circuit installation.

Check your local utility. My utility provided a smart EVSE for free, which was adjustable, and I have had it plugged into an unused dryer circuit for six years, adjusted to 24 amp draw.
https://www.enelxway.com/us/en/resources/electric-vehicle-charger-incentives

Back