traiger
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Range with post-recall (new) battery pack

I'm surprised that there is no discussion about this in this space. I had my 2017 Bolt's battery replaced under the latest recall program in January, and my range has improved pretty dramatically. I'm currently getting well north of 300 miles on a full charge. I've only charged to full a couple of times on the new battery, so this is just a preliminary observation. I'm interested in hearing what other Bolt owners have found post-recall. I'll note that on the prior battery, I could still get or surpass the stated 238 range, even after 3 years, though I hadn't fully charged that pack in quite a while, in compliance with Chevy's restrictions to avoid fire.
2Bolts
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Re: Range with post-recall (new) battery pack

You may be one the few with the new battery, my wife and I have a 2018 & 2019 we are still waiting for the notice to replace the battery. How long did the dealer have the car for? Did they replace the entire battery?
CGameProgrammer
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: Range with post-recall (new) battery pack

I got my recall done a week ago on my 2017 (letter arrived in December). All of the replacement battery packs are 66 kW-h even for those of us that had 60 kW-h packs, so not only do we get a brand new battery but it's 10% bigger!
traiger
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Range with post-recall (new) battery pack

The service took two days. They claimed it might be done in one day, but it wasn't. When they notify you that they are ready for you, make sure you first confirm that they have the battery for your car. That involves speaking with a human being at your dealer. I made the mistake of making the appointment online, and then when I brought it in for the scheduled service, they said that they hadn't ordered the battery! So then they ordered the battery and told me that they would call me when it came in, within 10 business days. After 10 business passed and they hadn't called, I called them. Oh, yeah, the battery had come in, the told me, and they apologized for not notifying me!

I'll just add that all this occurred during the height of the Omicron surge, and my service rep told me that half the service reps were out sick while my car was being serviced.
BoltEV
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: Range with post-recall (new) battery pack

traiger wrote:I'm surprised that there is no discussion about this in this space. I had my 2017 Bolt's battery replaced under the latest recall program in January, and my range has improved pretty dramatically...
Where do you live?
gksommer
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:57 pm

Re: Range with post-recall (new) battery pack

Got my replacement battery installed March 2nd under recall -- took 1 full day. After charging overnight (240v), it had 265 range miles -- with Hilltop Reserve On! No issues so far -- other than having to reset my charging schedule so it avoids 4-9pm (60c/kWh in San Diego)! Very happy!!
traiger
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Range with post-recall (new) battery pack

BoltEV wrote:
traiger wrote:I'm surprised that there is no discussion about this in this space. I had my 2017 Bolt's battery replaced under the latest recall program in January, and my range has improved pretty dramatically...
Where do you live?
Los Angeles
BoltEV
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: Range with post-recall (new) battery pack

traiger wrote:
BoltEV wrote:
traiger wrote:I'm surprised that there is no discussion about this in this space. I had my 2017 Bolt's battery replaced under the latest recall program in January, and my range has improved pretty dramatically...
Where do you live?
Los Angeles
Who did your battery replacement?
traiger
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Range with post-recall (new) battery pack

Allen Gwynn Chevrolet, Glendale, CA

Return to “Batteries and Charging”