Used 2017 Bolt with 115,000 miles-need advice

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbj

Newbie, so please, be kind. I'm looking at possibly buying a 2017 Bolt EV Premier. It has 115,000 miles. It has lived it's entire life in Florida. Pics look great, According to Carfax, one owner, no accidents, tires changed at 78k. Regular maintenance. Im purchasig it off of a Ford lot.

My situation:
Price is right
Live in a town home with no garage, but I have an Electrify America about 8 miles from my home. Listing says it has dc fast charging, so I should be good there.
I don't really drive much since i work from home.

So, here are my questions.

The recall and software update. The car is obviously out of warranty due to the mileage. Is this something I really need to worry about? Am i in danger of spontaneously combusting into a fireball in front of Raymond James stadium?

In Florida weather, what's the battery situation gonna be and, in your opinion, the degredaton due to miles?

Is there any issues with fast charging only?

Is there anything else I should worry about?

Or should I just shut up and trade in my 2012 CRV and be happy with the relief from gas prices. :D

The Bolt seems like a great car.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

tcbj said:

The recall and software update. The car is obviously out of warranty due to the mileage. Is this something I really need to worry about? Am i in danger of spontaneously combusting into a fireball in front of Raymond James stadium?

In Florida weather, what's the battery situation gonna be and, in your opinion, the degredaton due to miles?

Or should I just shut up and trade in my 2012 CRV and be happy with the relief from gas prices. :D

My 2-cents: get it ASAP. Call a chevy dealer service department and ask about the battery recall, I am guessing that because it's a safety recall, it is covered regardless of mileage. I don't think it's an issue of fast charge only, provided that the SOC (charge state) is kept between 20%-75%. I keep mine around 50% when it gets above 90F. This should work well in your case as you've mentioned infrequent usage. For long trip, by all mean top it off, but always use Hill-Top setting to stop at ~92%. I usually charge to 100% just prior to departure for a long trip. The Bolt's charging algorithm is way conservative, maxing out ~50kw at low SOC and really slows approaching 75%. It also has active battery coolant thermal management, it will run the AC to keep the battery pack within a safe temperature range.

In Florida, I would make sure it hasn't been in a flood and check for rust damage. We have a 2017 LT and a premier, both pushing 94Kmiles. I do prefer the premier. We haven't notice any degradation.

Let us know what you find out from the service department about the battery recall beyond 100Kmiles. I'm planning to get the recall done later this fall on our 2x Bolts. But if the price is right, I would jump at it. The car is amazing. The slow charging profile and the non-Tesla like charging infrastructure are the main draw back. The infrastructure is improving daily though. But the one-pedal driving is just awesome.

summit said:
My 2-cents: get it ASAP…

But the one-pedal driving is just awesome.

I second all those comments!

There is an Uber driver on the other Chevy Bolt EV forum with 130,000 miles and no problems!

I also drive Uber and my 2019 is at 55,000 miles and due for a new battery early next month.

One-Pedal Driving has changed my life!!

I drove 300 Uber miles yesterday.

Can you also stretch an 120v extension cord from your townhouse and charge nightly?

Electrify America has improved 100% since the Pandemic: sometimes i use EA to 60-80% and top off at home.

by the way, upon making appointments for our Bolts for the battery replacement, I asked the Service Manager about the 100,000 miles warranty. I was told that the recall is effective regardless of the mileage. So yeah, jump on whatever best deal out there before the replacement

I know your original post was a while ago, but I just thought I'd mention, as I understand it, after the recall replacement, your battery warranty is reset to the original 8 year, 100k miles. So, if you got a good deal, you just got a "new" Bolt for the price of a worn out used one:)

Porsche said:
I know your original post was a while ago, but I just thought I'd mention, as I understand it, after the recall replacement, your battery warranty is reset to the original 8 year, 100k miles. So, if you got a good deal, you just got a "new" Bolt for the price of a worn out used one:)
You and I seem like the only ones left here posting... See you over at chevybolt.org!

Newbie, so please, be kind. I'm looking at possibly buying a 2017 Bolt EV Premier. It has 115,000 miles. It has lived it's entire life in Florida. Pics look great, According to Carfax, one owner, no accidents, tires changed at 78k. Regular maintenance. Im purchasig it off of a Ford lot.

My situation:
Price is right
Live in a town home with no garage, but I have an Electrify America about 8 miles from my home. Listing says it has dc fast charging, so I should be good there.

Thanks in Advance
Why so coy? What is the price? Btw, my 2017 Bolt has 87,000 miles, with about 50,000 miles on the new battery. It is a San Francisco car and shows zero battery degradation. For instance there is a 2019 Bolt with an upgraded battery on Craigslist with 40,000 miles for $12,000 so your car should be pretty cheap to be a good deal. Also, I park my car parallel to the garage door (garage is full) - right next to the door, and run the Level 2 cord under the door to charge at night. My car is between the sidewalk and the garage, so this works for me.

My situation:
Price is right

Thanks in Advance
Make sure it has a DC fast charge capability since you would have to go to EA to charge. Open the charge port door and look for an orange flap. It it's not there, the car does not have DC fast charging capability.

Back