Need help I cannot charge it at home with my 120-volt portable charge cord

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcccf

Hi there, thanks for reading my post.

I'm having an issue with charging my Chevy Bolt EV 2019 with my 120-volt portable charge cord at my garage. It just shows red on my charging cord and I have no idea how to solve it. I googled it online but I didnt see a similar result. Does anyone here know how to solve this? Appreciate your help.

It might be a bad charger but here's some things to look at:
1. You can set the charging amps in the settings. I'd try the lowest one and see what happens.
2. Move the charger to an outlet on another circuit.
3. Take a picture of your dash when you have the charger plugged in and post it here. Maybe we can get some clues from that.

- According to the owner's manual ..

A solid Red indicator light on the charge cord means:

"Electrical System Fault: The charge cord has detected a
missing or improper ground within the building's electrical
system. Do not use an electrical outlet that is not properly
grounded. Use another electrical outlet or have a qualified
electrician inspect and verify the building's electrical system".

A Flashing red light means:

"Vehicle Fault: The charge cord ground-fault circuit interrupter
(GFCI) has tripped. Ensure that there is no physical damage
to the charge cord, and that the vehicle plug is seated
completely and making a good connection. Reset the charge
cord by unplugging it from the electrical outlet and
re-plugging it. If the fault remains, see an authorized dealer
for service".

Thank you all! I think I have figured out the root cause, the grounding issue. I’m looking for a way to solve it.

Hi: I've been having this issue this weekend. The GFCI on my outdoor outlet (installed 2007, waterproof cover, etc.) was not tripped, but I reset anyway. The cord flashed red when I plugged it in inside the house too. I'm assuming there was a power surge or something in my end-of-the-line rural town and the cord tripped, which is fine and good. Are we saying that it actually re-sets if you just unplug and re-plug? (If so that didn't work a few days ago but I can try again.) Very frustrating. I think I'm in warranty (2.5 years); local parts department says he gets requests for sales only once every six months, and has no recollection that malfunction is the typical reason why.

As I recall, our Chevy EVSE's cannot be plugged into an outlet on. CFGI.

It's been a ghost town on this Forum for me; try asking your question at:

chevybolt.org

Back