Charging Error at EVgo & at home

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19367

My bolt EUV is having the same problem at home & at evgo chargers. I have a dedicated 240v 30amp circuit in the garage & about a month ago it started tripping the the breaker. At the DC charger I got charging error detected. Isolation fault detected. An unsafe situation was prevented. All the while my monthly emailed diagnostics are coming in normal & no lights are on in the gauge cluster. I’m hoping the service center won’t find nothing wrong because the problem has been very repeatable at my home. I hope the fix is permanent.

I've had some older EVgo DCFC units near me 'time out' prematurely with a "Charging Error" message.
Those ABB units have had issues from the early days for me & not just with Bolts.

I've not had a problem at home on my Bosch level 2 charger.

A 240V, 30A circuit for full Level 2 charging at your home would be a RED FLAG.
Full Level 2 will draw at least 32A, 240V and a 40A circuit with the wires feeding it appropriately sized is required for that.
This may be why your car is tripping the breaker, showing an error at home.

AJ

You make a good point about the home charger. Unlike Tesla, Chevy doesn’t allow for amperage adjustments in the car or app. The thing is it didn’t trip the breaker when I first got the car. I charged it every day for months without the breaker tripping which means something changed. It’s in for service now & it should be something they can easily duplicate because it consistently trips my breaker in 4-6 minutes which again is something that it did not initially do. If the 30amp breaker is not sufficient, I don’t see how it worked without issue for as long as it did.

Back