'Skateboard' battery increases interior room and trunk space

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zoomit said:
Thanks for the picture Sean! Now I'm curious to know the purpose of those wires on the right of the picture. I just caught myself actually scratching my head...
Good question. According to this Bolt cutaway there's nothing back there, but that image doesn't necessarily include everything. Could be something related to displaying the car at the auto show, test equipment due to being a prototype, or could be wires for tail lights/speakers/etc. Does seem odd that they'd be exposed like that for production though, so my guess would be that they've got something to do with it being a pre-pro car.

According to that image though, there's no power mirrors or power windows or speakers in the doors.
I think that is just showing the "main" wiring?

ziv said:
According to that image though, there's no power mirrors or power windows or speakers in the doors.
I think that is just showing the "main" wiring?
Yeah, I think that image is focused on the HV components so would leave out wiring for tail lights/speakers. I've never had a car that didn't run cables for those things hidden in some kind of channel though - they try to avoid exposing that stuff to the end user.

The Cevy Bolt Ev has increased the interior space with putting the battery under the seat. The electric vehicles keep getting better and better There has been a 33% increase in demand for them over the past year

With the option for a 240 volt charger available space and time saving is what the Chevy Bolt is about:)

ssspinball said:
Excellent pic and discovery, SeanNelson!
Thanks, but it was the GM rep who actually took the photo for me since the car was on a rotating platform to keep us grubby gawkers away. I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to sit in on and, heaven forbid, take it for a test drive!

While it is no match for gas cars that many are used to, I think the Bolt rear storage area is a clear win over the i3 at least. It looks like the storage above the shelf is already at least as big as the i3 storage, plus you get the below shelf area, and a nice and neat place for the L2 EVSE that won't rattle when you hit a bump! :cool:

Here's a quote from a Bolt EV article in Car & Driver's September 2017 New Cars Issue:

"Tavel [Bolt chief engineer] pleaded no comment when asked the purpose of the spare-tire-shaped well at the bottom of the cargo compartment. (In the event of a flat, tire sealant and re-inflation are your only salivation.) The obvious conclusion is that this new BEV2 platform has obligations beyond this car."

Zoomit said:
In the event of a flat, tire sealant and re-inflation are your only salivation.

I know that car manufacturers are favoring sealant over spares these days, but I am not a fan. And it's certainly nothing to drool over ;)

Zoomit said:
Here's another shot of the trunk. You can also see hooks to hold a lower floor that's near the same height as the folded seat backs. Those hook things are not in the pre-production vehicles that cnet filmed at CES.

2017-Chevrolet-Bolt-1-111-876x535.jpg

Oh Wow! I think I can fit half my room inside!

MINK said:
Zoomit said:
Here's another shot of the trunk. You can also see hooks to hold a lower floor that's near the same height as the folded seat backs. Those hook things are not in the pre-production vehicles that cnet filmed at CES.

2017-Chevrolet-Bolt-1-111-876x535.jpg

Oh Wow! I think I can fit half my room inside!
Lol! I can't fit my room, but That's one big trunk. It should be sufficient for everyone.

laev said:
That's a very Innovative idea

What exactly are you referring to?

The Bolt is a hatchback with foldable seats. Nothing innovative there.

The battery is a skateboard design, which has been used by Tesla since 2012. Nothing innovative there.

I'm failing to see what is so innovative here - help me out.

Zoomit said:
Thanks for the picture Sean! Now I'm curious to know the purpose of those wires on the right of the picture. I just caught myself actually scratching my head...
Subwoofer

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?253906#/topics/253906?_k=orbbrf

Zoomit said:
Zoomit said:
Subwoofer

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?253906#/topics/253906?_k=orbbrf
I'm a little skeptical of that. Are they really going to store the EVSE and tire repair/towing equipment on top of the subwoofer?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Back