Tom Moloughney's opinion on the Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltplease

Tom is very involved on the i3 forum, and was an electro-naut for BMW. He also writes from time to time for InsideEVs, and appears to be their rep at the NAIAS.

Here's what he has to say about the Chevy Bolt EV. Thought I'd share it with the forum

The Bolt concept is an interesting one, and one I certainly hope makes it to production. If it does, expect a late 2017 introduction as a 2018 model. It looked to me like a combination of an i3, a Honda Fit and a first-generation Mercedes A-Class, but somehow it all works. A 200 mile EV that sells for under $40,000 is something a lot of people are waiting for. GM has said they will bring it to market for $30,000, but that’s after the $7,500 federal tax credit. While it’s understandable why they want to promote the $30,000 figure, it’s a little disingenuous since it’s really not possible to know if that tax credit will still be available in 2018, or whenever the Bolt makes it to showrooms. Plus, not everybody qualifies for it. GM isn’t the only manufacturer to play this tax credit game when it comes to announced pricing though, and I’ve been consistent in criticizing the other manufacturers that have done the same.

Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-concept-from-NAIAS.jpg

Chevrolet-Bolt-NAIAS-4-750x562.jpg

Source: http://insideevs.com/grading-2016-chevrolet-volt-bolt-live-2015-naias/

Not only was it not insightful, but in hindsight he was off by a year on when the Bolt was going to be released.

theflew said:
Not only was it not insightful, but in hindsight he was off by a year on when the Bolt was going to be released.

Yeah, Chevy really exceeded most of our expectations with the Bolt's timeline. If a long-time insider like Tom was off by a full year, it means that Chevy really did pull off the unthinkable.

Lol. For some it might be old news but for the people who have been looking into EV for less than 6 months it is insightful and informative

Aidan said:
Lol. For some it might be old news but for the people who have been looking into EV for less than 6 months it is insightful and informative
The problem with that particular piece is it is based on the concept car, and the specs and timeline of the production car are different. Much of his article was speculation - some has turned out true (or close) some is very different. You're much better off looking at articles released after Chevy decided to produce the car.

Back