2 cord out from one charger

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Dear All

I have a questions

I have 2 electric car now

I already modified Schneider EV230WS with 2 cords out

My scenario will be like this

I pulled 2 120V 50 AMP
I saw this charger has 60 AMP Fuse and relay of 40 AM
I want both car plug after work but wont charge at the same time

1. First car will be charge from 10 PM to 1 AM
2. Second car will be charge from 2 AM - 6 AM

Some how the sensor always trip faulty after I connected the second car.

But if I only connect one car, is fine

I believe "Pilot" line is giving error message

Any help? I called Schneider already but they can not help

I want to deceive this Pilot line

thank you

The idea is worthwhile, and I faced it myself. As more and more people get two EVs, it will grow as a problem.

I recall someone once made an adapter to share an EVSE between two cars, but it was a lot more complicated that just hooking up two cords. He added a circuit to handle the pilot signals using a microprocessor, as I recall. I'm sorry, I can't find it on google.

I believe what he did was to look at the pilot signal from the EVSE, and then he created two fake ones for the cars. If the EVSE was advertising 30 A, for example, he sent each car a 15 A pilot signal.

Frankly, the easiest way is to do what I did: install a 220 V outlet and buy a Level 2 portable EVSE (Aerovironment Turbo Cord or similar). Plug one car into your main EVSE, the other into the portable, and charge both at once or sequentially, whatever you want.

I know...it costs more, but it will work for sure. I use mine nearly every day

Update: I remembered the name of this thing and googled it...J1772 hydra

This will tell you about it
https://hackaday.io/project/3939-j1772-hydra

We have three EV's in our family, so normally I charge the Focus at 6.6 kW using an Aerovironment EVSE, one Volt at 3.3 kW using a Turbo Cord, and the second Volt at 1.5 kW using the Chevy-supplied charging adapter.

Really cool! Thanks for sharing this - I don't have the 2 EV problem yet, but will hopefully in the near future :)

We use the OEM supplied charging cords plugged into outlets (240V for Tesla and 120V for Smart).

The Smart only needs to go 50 km in an average day, so it recharges overnight at 12A/120V.

We've done a bit better for the Tesla with a 40A/240V receptacle on the side of the house and 30A/240V receptacle in the garage. The Tesla "UMC" charging code is very versatile, so it's easy to swap to the 40A when needed (which has been exactly once).

Back