Do we know for sure the Bolt comes with DC fast charging standard?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picasso

I'm re-reading the press release, and this statement jumped out with me, so I thought I'd ask the other Bolt enthusiasts on the Bolt EV Forum.

The press release says "Bolt EV also features an optional DC Fast Charging system using the industry standard SAE Combo connector. Using DC Fast Charging, the Bolt EV battery can be charged up to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes."

Sounds to me like the 60 kW charging will be an option, NOT standard?

That's one of the advantages of a large pack, fast charging, before you get to the 80% capacity taper charging issue.
Without a 50kW charge speed, the Bolt will have really missed the mark.

I hadn't noticed it said optional before, but makes me wonder what standard would be - 20 kW, 30 kW? Or perhaps a slip-up in their release, or a change of mind since? I remember seeing a flurry of discussions on the Chevy Bolt's quick charge capabilities but it all could be for not.

openminded said:
That's one of the advantages of a large pack, fast charging, before you get to the 80% capacity taper charging issue.
Without a 50kW charge speed, the Bolt will have really missed the mark.
I hadn't noticed it said optional before, but makes me wonder what standard would be - 20 kW, 30 kW? Or perhaps a slip-up in their release, or a change of mind since? I remember seeing a flurry of discussions on the Chevy Bolt's quick charge capabilities but it all could be for not.
DC Quick Charging is an option and NOT standard at the much quoted $37,500 price. The standard charge rate is 7.7 kW (for 240v L2 AC).

The Quick Charge option on the Spark EV is $750, and that would be a reasonable guess for the Bolt as well.

I think GM needs to rethink this. Almost everyone that buys/leases a Bolt without the QC will most likely regret it at some point. I've lived with no Quick Charging for over two years (Fit EV). I haven't really wanted QC more than a handful of times, but it certainly makes ANY EV more useful. Lack of QC pushes us out of the EV and into the gas guzzling hybrid more than we would like. In some ways it can be thought of as a "Range Extender" without having to haul around an ICE (i3 REx). Dealers REALLY need to recommend this option to all customers, and it will feel to many like a "bait & switch" from the lower advertised price on the Bolt and adds to (or because of?) anti-dealer feelings.

I will never own/lease another EV without QC, and do not hesitate to tell others the same thing.

When VW wanted a lower priced e-Golf, one of the things that was cut was the QC capability (and they dropped the L2 to 3.3 kW), so it appears the cost differential is not insignificant. I'm sure they had to work it hard to get to the <$30K number (after tax credit), and we may see some of the other previewed features not included on the base model (surround vision & rear camera mirror?).

Gary--Everything you post is detailed and accurate. Thank you for taking the time to support the community.

Back