Why electric cars are only as clean as their power supply

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laev

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/dec/08/electric-car-emissions-climate-change

Electric cars have never been closer to the mainstream, the market pushed ahead by California subsidies for electric car buyers, and a wide array of new models from established car firms such as Toyota and Chevy. Tesla’s focus on luxury, high-performance vehicles has also broadened their appeal; electric cars are no longer purely an environmental statement, but a tech status symbol too.

Yet the “zero emissions” claim grates on some experts, who have continued to argue over whether electric cars are really more environmentally friendly than gas guzzlers, once the manufacturing process for the vehicles and their batteries are taken into account.

Electric cars rely on regular charging from the local electricity network. The power plants providing that energy aren’t emission-free; even in California, 60% of electricity came from burning fossil fuels in 2015, while solar and wind together made up less than 14%.

Every aspect has to be taken into account before we can claim and definitive

laev said:
It's been pretty well established that the power required to run EVs is cleaner than burning fuel to run an ICE vehicle in all but the states who have the very dirtiest power plants - and even there it's not any real advantage for the ICE vehicles.

And in the clean states there's no contest. I live in British Columbia, where virtually all our electricity is created via hydroelectric dams - it's essentially solar power but without the problems of intermittent supply. It's an EV paradise here.

I think manufacturers also need to take into account the production cycle and the footprint each vehicle makes.

BMW uses a great deal of recycled material in their i3...a huge step forward in building a car. And making zero waste as a goal like Subaru does in their production cycle is also important.

SeanNelson said:
laev said:
It's been pretty well established that the power required to run EVs is cleaner than burning fuel to run an ICE vehicle in all but the states who have the very dirtiest power plants - and even there it's not any real advantage for the ICE vehicles.

And in the clean states there's no contest. I live in British Columbia, where virtually all our electricity is created via hydroelectric dams - it's essentially solar power but without the problems of intermittent supply. It's an EV paradise here.

Live there too. Hydro power is not flawless but an ok option

Aidan said:
SeanNelson said:
laev said:
...I live in British Columbia, where virtually all our electricity is created via hydroelectric dams...
Live there too. Hydro power is not flawless but an ok option
Hydro power is like Winston Churchill's quote about democracy: it's the worst system in the world except for all the others.

This article Rings true because even though we feel we're doing the Eco thing but if the area we live in produces energy in a horribly un eco-friendly way it's kind of counterproductive now electric vehicles are not using such great amounts of energy that this has a huge effect but when we look at the picture globally now we start to see some impact

Back