GM Bolt Battery Pack Details (tons of images)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

Came across this info from a GM Press Release and I don't think it's been posted on the Bolt forum before:

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-18.jpg

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-17_003.jpg

Battery stats:
•60 kWh of energy for over 200 miles EPA range
•battery weight 436 kg
•160 kW power output
•288 lithium-ion cells (LG Chem)
•350 V nominal voltage
•eight years or 100,000 miles battery warranty
•DC fast charging capability (at least 50 kW – we don’t know yet for sure whether GM will enable higher power charging if there will be higher power chargers)

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-2_002-750x542.jpg

The Chevrolet Bolt EV battery pack is on the far right, and then the Spark EV pack, with the first gen/second gen Volt batteries on the lef.

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-1_004-750x430.jpg

The Chevy Bolt EV battery pack picture from the General Motors Global Battery Systems Lab at the GM Technical Center

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-10-750x500.jpg

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-9_004-750x500.jpg

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-8_002-750x500.jpg

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-7_002-750x500.jpg

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-6-750x500.jpg

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-15_002-750x500.jpg

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-12_002-750x500.jpg

GM is making steady progress with their battery pack technology.

My 2014 Cadillac ELR has a 16.5 kWh battery pack that weighs 435 pounds. According to the article from GM, the Bolt's 60 kWh battery pack weighs 436 Kg.

That's a difference of 26.4 lbs/kWh in the ELR, and 16 lb/kWh in the Bolt. 39% improvement in reducing battery mass!

Yes, tremendous progress is being made. Although LG Chem probably deserves more credit than GM. But even GM has improved packaging and cooling methods as they learn more about how batteries actually perform in the wild.

Man you are too fast - I was just going to make the LG comment :)

Yep, shows them going from 83 Wh/kg to 138 Wh/kg in SI units.

Chevrolet says the batteries weigh 960 lbs with a 200 mile range.
That opens up a lot of possibilities.

It means you could take the same system, put it in a small Mini-Van style chassis (basically a bigger Bolt), cut out almost 500 lbs of battery weight, and end up with a cheaper 95-mile range vehicle.

You'd still have a great 0-60 mph performance figure of around 7.5 seconds with the bigger (but same weight! because half the battery weight) vehicle.

Since the average American drives 41 miles per day, a 95-mile range vehicle would be great for most folks. Most people get by quite well on the current Nissan Leafs and Ford Focus Electrics (my ride) at around 75-mile range, so 95 miles would be just right.

The market has spoken WRT cars with <100 miles of electric only range. A small set of people want such a vehicle for a small daily commute, I'm one of them having a Smart ED with <50 miles of range in all weather.

Plug in hybrids with 30 miles of range, and then unlimited on gas are an option, but we couldn't stand driving on gas ever again having owned our Smart ED for one year.

The vast majority won't consider replacing their people moving vehicle (SUV, large sedan, minivan, etc) with a pure electric unless than have >>200 miles of range. We have a Tesla S85 with 250+ miles range for that purpose, and wouldn't even consider an Tesla S60 with only 200 miles of range, it's just not enough.

All this discussion about how much range is "really needed" comes down to this:
---- A 75-100 mile range EV is great for most people's errand car or commuter car. 75% of Americans cover 55 miles or less every day.
---- Most people have access to a trip vehicle (2-car family), or can rent an occasional Hertz for vacations.

Chevy Bolt should come with a half-battery option for cheaper. That would shave off $7,000 from the price right there, and save 500 lbs of battery weight, which mass could be used to make the Bolt bigger (3" wider and 1.5' longer should do it).

The Market wants cars to be more affordable. A 200-mile range EV is great only if you want to pay the bucks $$ for something that most people don't need for a 2nd car.

charge said:
All this discussion about how much range is "really needed" comes down to this:
---- A 75-100 mile range EV is great for most people's errand car or commuter car. 75% of Americans cover 55 miles or less every day.
---- Most people have access to a trip vehicle (2-car family), or can rent an occasional Hertz for vacations.

Chevy Bolt should come with a half-battery option for cheaper. That would shave off $7,000 from the price right there, and save 500 lbs of battery weight, which mass could be used to make the Bolt bigger (3" wider and 1.5' longer should do it).

The Market wants cars to be more affordable. A 200-mile range EV is great only if you want to pay the bucks $$ for something that most people don't need for a 2nd car.
All that is true - a 75-100 mile range car is adequate for a second car with one caveat - under all driving conditions. If you're driving at freeway speeds and it's dark, cold, and rainy, your range will be significantly less than the EPA rating. By as much as 50% (or even more).
It's not clear from your posts whether you currently own/drive an EV or where you live. Someone from New England, Wisconsin or Montana will drive under very different conditions than say So Cal.
Car manufacturers did lots of studies and concluded that a 100 mile EV is plenty for the average American. Then they delivered cars rated at ~80 miles that would go 50-60 in average cold weather conditions. Even less in extreme conditions.

A car with an EPA rating of 200 (like the Bolt) will reliably deliver the 100 miles that most would be very happy with.

+1

If you want a truly cheap EV that is good for a short commute, nothing beats my Smart ED. Here in Canada, my Smart ED has 140 km range in the summer, and less than 80 km range on the coldest winter day, from a full charge. While that is perfectly suitable for what I need on my commute, that's all I use the car for, and have never road tripped it.

If the Bolt is 300 km in summer, it's really 160 km on the worst winter day. That is barely enough for 1.5 hours of highway driving. I consider that under the bare minimum range as a primary car.

Let Ford (who today announced that 100 miles range is the right amount for an EV) see how many Focus EV's they will sell with the Bolt and next generation Leaf out on the market...probably no more than the 100 cars per month they sell today.

DucRider said:
Car manufacturers did lots of studies and concluded that a 100 mile EV is plenty for the average American. Then they delivered cars rated at ~80 miles that would go 50-60 in average cold weather conditions. Even less in extreme conditions.
They should be required to warn folks about the drop in range from about 76 (my Ford Focus Electric) to 55 as I've experienced recently on 5 deg F days.

DucRider said:
A car with an EPA rating of 200 (like the Bolt) will reliably deliver the 100 miles that most would be very happy with.
The more range, the better, IF you're willing to pay an extra $6,000 for that extra 100 miles range (for 200 total). There is a market for cheaper cars than the $30,000 Chevy Bolt (after Fed rebate, however long that lasts!), twice the cost of a new Kia Soul.
Thats why making a 100-mile range Bolt would make sense, since more people could justify buying a $24,000 (after fed rebates) Chevy Bolt reduced-range version, getting 100 miles to do their daily errands and commuting.

SmartElectric said:
Let Ford (who today announced that 100 miles range is the right amount for an EV) see how many Focus EV's they will sell with the Bolt and next generation Leaf out on the market...probably no more than the 100 cars per month they sell today.
Ford will sell a lot of 100-mile-range Focus EVs since it will be more affordable than a Bolt by $7,000. The key to opening up the market is affordability.

Also, the Magna-based Focus EV powertrain and LG Chem batteries have the benefit of being on the road for 4 test-years so far, and about 6,000 copies running around, valuable field experience for reliability.

The Bolt still suffers from the cheap image of looking like and based off the Chevy Sonic chassis, for a whopping $30k (after fed rebate subsidies). Chevy Sonics go for $17,000 new, not the $30,000 asked on the Bolt for the right to be all-electric. Also, hauling around a nearly 1,000 lb battery pack in a small Sonic chassis doesn't sound great, as that's like, what, 1.2 unit mother-in-laws worth of dead weight.

This is why Chevy needs a 100-mile cheaper Sonic Chevy Bolt for most Americans who aren't wealthy.

At least if you're paying $30k for a Tesla Model 3, you're getting a Tesla luxury mark.

Chevy has the Spark EV as their cheaper option with a 19.2 kWh battery. It goes for about $15K after the Federal Tax Credit (it is NOT a rebate). I hope they keep it around and even expand availability outside of the ZEV states. It's a hoot to drive and leases at $138/m with $0 down. Chevy learned a lot from the Spark EV and brought at least some of that to the Bolt.
In example, on the Spark EV, 3 separate coolant loops provide heating/cooling for the battery, cooling for the drive unit/electronics, and heating/cooling for the cabin, and the Bolt specs show the same setup. They recommend the Spark EV be kept plugged in in extreme conditions as it will heat/cool the battery as needed to help prevent degradation and keep it at a more optimal temperature to provide maximum range when the car is driven.

Re the disclaimer - Fit EV lessors were required to sign an acknowledgment of the range reduction in winter.

I think you're in the extreme minority looking for an EV with less range. There are (and will continue to be) many choices with less than the 200 mile range promised by the Bolt & Model 3. There will be tremendous downward pressure on prices. The Focus Electric has managed an average of 88 units a month recently with an MSRP starting at $29K, and has only once moved over 200 in a month. That's not a lot in anyone's book, and bumping the range to 100 is not going to increase those numbers by much (if at all).

I like lots of Range too, yet, like most people, I'm also budget minded, and a $5,000 or so discount to go from a 200-mile vehicle to a 100-ish-mile vehicle would be a welcome tradeoff. At least for market high-volume that's the way to go. I agree with Ford completely in going for the cheaper 100-mile range Focus to grab more customers.

I did read recently where GM is getting a screamin' good deal from LG Chem batteries at $145/kWH . Thats down a lot from 3 years ago. Makes the Bolt profitable likely.

And remember the Focus EV was never promoted much. Now, dealers typically only special order them. Not on lots. People don't know about them.

DucRider, that Spark is fun! Chevy should have put in a parental-controlled torque limiter in it for teenage drivers (400 ft-lbs in a go-cart essentially). Do we really want 16 year olds darting around town in that tiny, very agile, speed monster? Of course they do it now on motorcycles and often become statistics......

I can get a 2-year-old Chevy Spark for $11k (after Colorado tax credits). That's a sports car bargain. Those that don't believe this is a sports car need to read http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...v-nissan-leaf-smart-fortwo-ed-comparison-test as it's Fun-To-Drive score just edged out the 2nd-ranked Ford Focus Electric like my own, and I know it's a hoot to drive.

charge said:
I can get a 2-year-old Chevy Spark for $11k (after Colorado tax credits). That's a sports car bargain. Those that don't believe this is a sports car need to read http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...v-nissan-leaf-smart-fortwo-ed-comparison-test as it's Fun-To-Drive score just edged out the 2nd-ranked Ford Focus Electric like my own, and I know it's a hoot to drive.

I thought the Spark EV was only on sale in California and Oregon? Is that an import from out-of-state or? And if so, what about maintenance?

charge said:
I agree with Ford completely in going for the cheaper 100-mile range Focus to grab more customers

Hmm, well, consumers don't, at under 100 cars sold per month, it's either a flop, or a pure compliance play at this point.
Ford have lost me as a customer, I traded both my Fords away and will not go back.

I bought a Smart ED and love it, but completely understand this is a car sold in few numbers, but at least the local dealer had multiple on the lot and was eager to promote it over the Smart gas model. My local Ford dealer did the opposite, and so did most of the other legacy car dealers I visited a few years ago when EV shopping.

200 mile range is a practical minimum for people in Canada, as range drops to just near half on the coldest days, so having a 110 mile range car in -15C is pretty much bare minimum if you want to consider this a primary vehicle for the family.

SmartElectric said:
charge said:
I agree with Ford completely in going for the cheaper 100-mile range Focus to grab more customers
Hmm, well, consumers don't, at under 100 cars sold per month, it's either a flop, or a pure compliance play at this point.
Ford have lost me as a customer, I traded both my Fords away and will not go back..
Ford hasn't yet sold any(zero) 100-mile Focus EVs because they won't be for sale for another 5 months or so. The current Focus EV has a 76-mile range, good enough for most folks.

Yes the Focus EV was never really promoted heavily, hence only 6,000 of them in the U.S. currently. The new 100-mile range version of the Focus EV, out as a 2017 model in a few months, should make more people comfortable. Hoping prices aren't raised. I love mine, 76-mile range and only $15k cash net, price after all rebates.

Its all about $$$ money (and extra dead weight) you want to pay and lug around. The longer the range, the heavier the batteries have been. The Chevy Bolt, even though its smaller than a Focus EV, will have to carry around a 1/2-ton battery pack. And the consumer will need to hand over about $6,000 more cash for that extra range.

marta said:
charge said:
I can get a 2-year-old Chevy Spark for $11k (after Colorado tax credits). That's a sports car bargain. .
I thought the Spark EV was only on sale in California and Oregon? Is that an import from out-of-state or? And if so, what about maintenance?
Used Sparks are imported to Colorado. If a used electric car has never been registered in Colorado, then the state will kick in a few thousand dollars, making it worth it to import them.
Service might be an issue. I doubt it though. A Chevy dealership would simply put their Volt technician on it and consult GM's work process guides.

charge said:
Used Sparks are imported to Colorado. If a used electric car has never been registered in Colorado, then the state will kick in a few thousand dollars, making it worth it to import them.
Service might be an issue. I doubt it though. A Chevy dealership would simply put their Volt technician on it and consult GM's work process guides.

Thanks for the details! Too bad this doesn't happen in Washington State.... (that I've heard of)

Back