Bolt on display in Sacramento at CA State Capitol

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing so many pictures, I can't wait to see one in person!

From the very first picture, that rear bumper looks terribly awkward. Does it really stick out that much, or is it just the angle?

Once you close the hatch the bumper looks better. I was surprised, the car is smaller than the Leaf. Lots of headroom in the front and backseat. Backseat can fit 3 with plenty of room. Trunk is smaller than the Leaf as well.

It did look a lot like a Nissan Leaf. It did seem much taller though. The battery fit under the backseat floor, unlike the leaf. The back floor was straight across with no hump in the floor board.

I was told there are only 8 of these cars made yet. Felt fortunate to see and sit in it.

Who wants to pay over $30k (after Fed subsidies) for a Chevy Sonic? That's the Korean body the Bolt has.
Range is nice. So that's going to have to sway folks. And the hype attached to being a new product.

A better deal is probably the Kia Soul EV, getting 93 miles range right now, proven through years of consumer testing already, and much cheaper. Seems good, and priced right.

I know what's meant by the comments above, about the "Leafier" look. Remember the Leaf does look like it has bulging insect eyes up front, so at least Chevy didn't put a Nissan Juke-Leaf treatment on their Bolt. I got a Ford Focus Electric about 6 months ago, love it overall, range is adequate, cheap at $15k cash (after all rebates/credits). And the Focus is wider than a smaller Bolt.

charge said:
Who wants to pay over $30k (after Fed subsidies) for a Chevy Sonic? That's the Korean body the Bolt has.
I got a Ford Focus Electric about 6 months ago, love it overall, range is adequate, cheap at $15k cash (after all rebates/credits). And the Focus is wider than a smaller Bolt.
AFAIK, the Bolt is not based on the Sonic (the sizes are completely different), the body is not Korean (built at the Orion plant). If you have info otherwise, please provide a link.

And yes, you made the best choice possible in selecting the FFE and we should all forget about choosing any other car as the Focus Electric would also be best for everyone!!!!
/sarcasm

Never mind that it's range is better than only the smart ED or i MiEV. It has no DCFC capability. It's turning radius is pathetic and it's passenger and cargo volumes are less than the Bolt (seat up or down). And the placement of the batteries makes the cargo space much less usable.
It's also slower and heavier than the Bolt with less HP and torque.
The market has spoken, and the FFE is not a big winner (338 sold YTD, you were one of 527 purchasers in the last 6 months). Ford has consistently needed had to buy ZEV credits on the open market due to poor sales of the FFE. Their Energi products sell well, but CARB requires a minimum percentage of credits be "Gold" - essentially BEV not PHEV. Yes, the FFE keeps getting huge price drops and incentives from Ford and can be had for a lot less money than the Bolt. That's the only way they manage to sell, even in the small numbers they post.

I'm glad the Focus Electric works for you, but not sure why you need to post misinformation about the Bolt. The FFE and Bolt will not be cross shopped very much. - mostly due to the huge disparity in range. The bump in range due out this fall will bring the Ford up to where it's competitors were 2 years ago. We'll see if that helps sales, but most everyone is bumping range on their existing lineup (i3, e-Golf, Soul EV, etc.).

"charge" is just a troll. Their entire argument for the FFE over the Bolt is that it has a few more inches of space here and there - never mind the 1/3 range of the FFE vs the Bolt and numerous other shortcomings of the FFE.

Devin said:
"charge" is just a troll. Their entire argument for the FFE over the Bolt is that it has a few more inches of space here and there - never mind the 1/3 range of the FFE vs the Bolt and numerous other shortcomings of the FFE.

Coudn't agree more. Chevrolet Bolt EV is a much superior car than FFE.

DucRider said:
AFAIK, the Bolt is not based on the Sonic (the sizes are completely different), the body is not Korean (built at the Orion plant). If you have info otherwise, please provide a link.
This is too easy. Sonic and Bolt are very very close and based off the same platform. You're way off, as usual, and you still haven't discovered 'google'. Your "AFAIK" doesn't make the grade around here. You're getting shellacked on the FACTS. ...
Simply go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Gamma_platform and read how the Korean engineering is now done on Sonic/Bolt bodies (not where it was assembled silly).

Diggle said:
Chevrolet Bolt EV is a much superior car than FFE.
You obviously haven't done your research. Don't take my word just because I'm an engineer with 30 years experience, oh no, you can't be convinced with facts, if you even knew them correctly. Try Car and Driver's expertise then, as they found the Focus Electric finished 2nd in a field of 6 ! Read it and weep: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...v-nissan-leaf-smart-fortwo-ed-comparison-test

Devin said:
Spread your lies, go ahead. "Their" a "troll" because they don't agree with you? I see. Its the internet and numb-nuts like you exist. Get your facts straight. Everything is a cost to benefit balance. More range, more money. I mostly object to the Chevy Sonic-Bolt smaller size and poor suspension on the upcoming Bolt, that's all, as I've said before.

The Bolt, to sell for a pricey 30k+ after fed government subsidies, will be OK. Not great in all likelihood. Experts, NOT ducrider or diggle types, will wring it out to see if they pulled it off well. Its not looking great though, except for the Korean-made electrics range/systems are decent.

charge said:
Devin said:
Spread your lies, go ahead. "Their" a "troll" because they don't agree with you? I see. Its the internet and numb-nuts like you exist. Get your facts straight. Everything is a cost to benefit balance. More range, more money. I mostly object to the Chevy Sonic-Bolt smaller size and poor suspension on the upcoming Bolt, that's all, as I've said before.

The Bolt, to sell for a pricey 30k+ after fed government subsidies, will be OK. Not great in all likelihood. Experts, NOT ducrider or diggle types, will wring it out to see if they pulled it off well. Its not looking great though, except for the Korean-made electrics range/systems are decent.

:lol:

charge said:
DucRider said:
This is too easy. Sonic and Bolt are very very close and based off the same platform. You're way off, as usual, and you still haven't discovered 'google'. Your "AFAIK" doesn't make the grade around here. You're getting shellacked on the FACTS. ...
Simply go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Gamma_platform and read how the Korean engineering is now done on Sonic/Bolt bodies (not where it was assembled silly).

Diggle said:
Chevrolet Bolt EV is a much superior car than FFE.
You obviously haven't done your research. Don't take my word just because I'm an engineer with 30 years experience, oh no, you can't be convinced with facts, if you even knew them correctly. Try Car and Driver's expertise then, as they found the Focus Electric finished 2nd in a field of 6 ! Read it and weep: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...v-nissan-leaf-smart-fortwo-ed-comparison-test

Devin said:

It's okay man! It's about opinions. You don't think Chevy Bolt is a great car, and I do!

Ignoring the massive difference in range, I wouldn't personally buy a Focus as the interior looks like something from 1990 and is claustrophobic with that massive dash structure where the Bolt looks like the most futuristic (and "clean" design) interior Chevy has have designed. I suspect Chevy was inspired by the i3, which is definitely a good target for interior design.

Looks are of course 100% subjective. Just my 2 cents. :D

Looks are absolutely subjective. I feel exactly the opposite. I love the traditional looks of the Focus (and the eGolf). I strongly dislike the i3. It feels like BMW forgot the infotainment center and glued a cheap tablet to the dash.

And what you call "claustrophobic", I call "fits like a glove". I want just enough room for me. Any more is excessive and wasteful.

GetOffYourGas said:
And what you call "claustrophobic", I call "fits like a glove". I want just enough room for me. Any more is excessive and wasteful.

It's only wasteful if it means the exterior size or weight was amplified, neither of which are true for the i3. Win-win.

ssspinball said:
GetOffYourGas said:

It's only wasteful if it means the exterior size or weight was amplified, neither of which are true for the i3. Win-win.

Again, I disagree. I want my car to fit me like a glove. I recognize I'm in the minority, and such a design doesn't sell well. But that's the whole subjective part of it...

Back