Transport Canada making back-up cameras mandatory in new cars starting May 2018 The United States government made a simi

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginforce

I'm not a big fan of the government legislating what we can and can't buy - for the most part - but if this doesn't effect costs too much, and why would it, imo I only see it as a good thing

Transport Canada says new cars and small trucks will have to be equipped with rear-view camera systems starting in May 2018.

The new regulations have been formally posted in the Canada Gazette for a 75-day comment period.

The requirement for back-up visibility brings Canadian standards in line with those in the United States.

The department says it's a safety measure because children, disabled persons, the elderly and others are vulnerable to back-up mishaps.

It estimates that such accidents killed 27 people and injured more than 1,500 from 2004 to 2009.

The new requirement applies to new light vehicles, including passenger cars, light trucks, three-wheelers and small vans and buses.

"This helps children be seen and provides Canadians with one of the best safety technology systems to reduce back-over collisions," Transport Minister Marc Garneau said in a statement.

The United States made a similar announcement in 2014, with a 2018 deadline for compliance.

"The objective of this proposal is to align the Canadian and United States safety regulations, to provide Canadians with the same level of protection under the law related to back-over crashes offered to residents of the United States and to satisfy vehicle manufacturers' call to eliminate regulatory differences between Canada and the United States," Transport Canada said.

agreed a good thing.
From what I heard (and sorry forget where) but the US is making it mandatory for all Vans/mini vans and possibly vehicles to REQUIRE backup cameras. I loved mine in my sierra I traded in and now my wifes Jeep does not have one and it drives me up the wall..

in addition... here is a weird one.. what is your preference for camera monitor location? albeit very small, my sierra had it in the rear view mirror and I loved it there. Your eyes are looking at mirrors anyway..

My wife's car has a backup camera. It's all well and good, but you should still turn around and look out the back windows. You really shouldn't be relying on mirrors unless you have no choice (e.g. driving a box truck, pulling a large trailer, etc). I kinda wish they would put the monitor somewhere behind the driver, so you don't have to keep turning back and forth.

GetOffYourGas said:
My wife's car has a backup camera. It's all well and good, but you should still turn around and look out the back windows. You really shouldn't be relying on mirrors unless you have no choice (e.g. driving a box truck, pulling a large trailer, etc). I kinda wish they would put the monitor somewhere behind the driver, so you don't have to keep turning back and forth.

I use the rear view mirror a lot when driving. It's important to see what is going on all around you but I do like the back up cameras for ease and the convenience of seeing the blind spots

This is a good mandate as rear view mirrors have huge blind spots where the back up camera doesnt

Back