Is the Bolt a Tesla killer?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure the Bolt will be a Cruze killer, and it's starting to look bad for typical American backs and butts, as well. ;-)

For me the Bolt is a Tesla Killer. The reason why for me is that the Bolt's seats are much higher off the ground than the Tesla thereby making it much easier to get in and out of the Bolt especially if you have, knee, back or arthritis problems. I loved my test drive in the Bolt. I can't wait until it comes out in my state and I can finally buy a Bolt after waiting for over 10 years for an all electric car. Tesla's closest version is the Model X P100D SUV which will cost $136,200!!!! And their price equivalent is the Model 3 but that is a sedan that sits low like the Model S and the model 3 only gets only 215 miles on a charge and it will not be available for delivery until mid 2018 according to their website. So the Bolt is Better for me for price, ease of entry and exit, range, and availability.

jeff3948 said:
...and the model 3 only gets only 215 miles on a charge...
All we know about the Model 3's range so far is that Elon promised it would be "at least" 215 miles. Chevy promised "more than" 200 miles for the Bolt, and we ended up with an EPA-rated 238 miles. The Model 3 could just as easily exceed Elon's promise.

jeff3948 said:
For me the Bolt is a Tesla Killer. The reason why for me is that the Bolt's seats are much higher off the ground than the Tesla thereby making it much easier to get in and out of the Bolt especially if you have, knee, back or arthritis problems.

I kind of like the Bolt's higher seating, but many people prefer to sit lower to the ground. I don't think Tesla is aiming exclusively at the arthritis-sufferers market.

jeff3948 said:
For me the Bolt is a Tesla Killer. The reason why for me is that the Bolt's seats are much higher off the ground than the Tesla thereby making it much easier to get in and out of the Bolt especially if you have, knee, back or arthritis problems. I loved my test drive in the Bolt. I can't wait until it comes out in my state and I can finally buy a Bolt after waiting for over 10 years for an all electric car. Tesla's closest version is the Model X P100D SUV which will cost $136,200!!!! And their price equivalent is the Model 3 but that is a sedan that sits low like the Model S and the model 3 only gets only 215 miles on a charge and it will not be available for delivery until mid 2018 according to their website. So the Bolt is Better for me for price, ease of entry and exit, range, and availability.
If you reserve a Model 3 today, you most likely wouldn't see it till 2019. Estimates of reservations range from 600k now to potentially over 1 million after the final reveal. If I were you, I'd get the Bolt now as they are readily available and then in 3 years or so, look at the Tesla Model Y if an affordable SUV is what you need. The only caveat to the Bolt though is it's not convenient for long distance travel away from home. If it's your only car, stick with a plug-in SUV till the Model Y arrives.

jeff3948 said:
For me the Bolt is a Tesla Killer .... Tesla's closest version is the Model X P100D SUV which will cost $136,200!!!!

Sorry to hear about your physical condition and how it precludes you from purchasing half of the available cars on the market today.

It is actually your financial condition which precludes purchase of either Tesla Model S and X respectfully. The Bolt does not compete with the Tesla S and X from a market perspective.

By the way, a nice inventory X75D goes for $75K after US tax credit and California rebate. If you consider the top of the line Tesla the "closest" version to the Bolt ... :?

phil0909 said:
jeff3948 said:
For me the Bolt is a Tesla Killer. The reason why for me is that the Bolt's seats are much higher off the ground than the Tesla thereby making it much easier to get in and out of the Bolt especially if you have, knee, back or arthritis problems.

I kind of like the Bolt's higher seating, but many people prefer to sit lower to the ground. I don't think Tesla is aiming exclusively at the arthritis-sufferers market.

I prefer the lower seating and RWD of the Model III, not to mention the supercharging network.

For the Bolt, though, GM has a much better track record for reliability (compare the Volt to the Model S). Combined with the fact that 1) the Model III will undoubtedly cost more to repair than the Bolt and 2) the closest Tesla service center is 200+ miles away (compared to <5 miles for Chevy), and reliability is a huge factor.

Different markets. Apples and oranges really.

I have NO brand loyalty. I leased the Bolt because it was available and it satisfied my needs. I still have a deposit on an M3 and have no plans to cancel it. Want to see what the M3 looks & drives like when it finally comes out and want to be in a position to lease it too if I like it. Won't if I don't.

On the other hand, there are 100's of thousands of other people who put a deposit on an M3 who have absolutely no interest in buying or leasing a Bolt. Almost nothing but disdain spoken about the Bolt on the Tesla forum. So, I seriously doubt that the Bolt will have any effect on Tesla.

sgt1372 said:
... there are 100's of thousands of other people who put a deposit on an M3 who have absolutely no interest in buying or leasing a Bolt. Almost nothing but disdain spoken about the Bolt on the Tesla forum. So, I seriously doubt that the Bolt will have any effect on Tesla.
We'll see what happens when people actually start getting their hands on Model 3s. I have a feeling that a good many people are expecting to get a bargain-priced Model S, and I'm curious both as to how they've shaved the M3 cost down so much and what people's reaction will be to the result.

SeanNelson said:
We'll see what happens when people actually start getting their hands on Model 3s. I have a feeling that a good many people are expecting to get a bargain-priced Model S, and I'm curious both as to how they've shaved the M3 cost down so much and what people's reaction will be to the result.

What I think will have the greatest effect on M3 sales will be the potential lack of the $7,500 tax credit.

Tesla is already nearing its sales limit for eligibility for the $7500 tax credit and predictions are that very few (if any) M3 buyers will be able to take advantage of it. Based on early comments that I read on the Tesla forum, it seems that many M3 reservation holders are very price sensitive and if they can't get the credit, they may not buy it.

The styling and "panache" of the Tesla over the Bolt is also an issue. If a current reservation holder wants a 200 mile EV now with the Fed tax credit, s/he can get it now by buying/leasing a Bolt but so far I'm the only person on the Tesla forum to say they actually bought/leased one.

So, considering that there are almost 400k M3 reservation holders, I'd say there is A LOT of brand resistance among the Tesla reservation holders against switching to the Bolt.

Apart from the EV/green advocates, the Bolt should draw buyers who simply do not care about the Tesla mystique, who just want a "functional" car for local use, who have no need to drive long distances in it and who appreciate the fact that it may also save them some money on the gas/electricity cost differential and will provide the convenience of never again needing to stop at a gas station to "fill it up" provided that it is just driven locally.

This just happens that this describe me.

sgt1372 said:
SeanNelson said:

What I think will have the greatest effect on M3 sales will be the potential lack of the $7,500 tax credit.

Tesla is already nearing its sales limit for eligibility for the $7500 tax credit and predictions are that very few (if any) M3 buyers will be able to take advantage of it. Based on early comments that I read on the Tesla forum, it seems that many M3 reservation holders are very price sensitive and if they can't get the credit, they may not buy it.

The styling and "panache" of the Tesla over the Bolt is also an issue. If a current reservation holder wants a 200 mile EV now with the Fed tax credit, s/he can get it now by buying/leasing a Bolt but so far I'm the only person on the Tesla forum to say they actually bought/leased one.

So, considering that there are almost 400k M3 reservation holders, I'd say there is A LOT of brand resistance among the Tesla reservation holders against switching to the Bolt.

Apart from the EV/green advocates, the Bolt should draw buyers who simply do not care about the Tesla mystique, who just want a "functional" car for local use, who have no need to drive long distances in it and who appreciate the fact that it may also save them some money on the gas/electricity cost differential and will provide the convenience of never again needing to stop at a gas station to "fill it up" provided that it is just driven locally.

This just happens that this describe me.

Actually, Tesla and GM are fairly even when it comes to how much tax credit is left. when they finally reach the 200,000 us sold car, they have between three and six months to sell as many as they can for the full credit. then over the next year it will wind down at half and quarter amounts. depending on how quickly they ramped up production, they could sell an additional 200,000 for the full tax credit. also, informal surveys on the different Tesla forums show that the vast majority would still buy the model 3 even without the tax credit.

I was thinking the same thing: Is the Bolt a Tesla killer? I didn't think so before I got mine, but now I wonder. First comments I've heard from virtually everyone: "It's a cool looking car. Better than I thought.". I have the Cajun Red, which I think is the classiest color, with the dark gray one in second place. Never thought I'd own a red car.

But back to Tesla vs Bolt... I think the Bolt was VERY well thought out. Very ergonomic - even the seats. I don't have a big problem with them, and found them to be comfortable enough on long rides. Unlike my Mercedes. My only isue is getting over the hump on the left side when getting out.

There is tons of leg room. The touch screen is a great size and not as goofy looking at the one in the Model S. That thing is just too big and sticks out and small text and all that. I think for the money, it's going to be hard to beat the Bolt. The Model 3 will cost more, and at 6'4", I'm not sure if I'll fit in it any better than the Bolt. I truly enjoy driving the Bolt - and I've had a Spark EV for 2 ful years, and also loved it.

Ditto on eveything you said EZRyder.

I got a red one- which some web sites are now calling "burgundy". Or wine color. Not red red. Not fire engine red. Not Ferrari red. A very beautiful rich classy dark red. And the "tint coat" means it is not clear coated. It is top coated with translucent red like a candy apple. Nightfall gray was my second choice.

I do think this car is LARGER and more capable than anyone expected. It looks small. But because of small hood and no trunk this car is ALL PASSENGER SPACE nearly nose to tail.

I think Tesla just lost half their 400k pre orders.
You get your Tesla deposit back if you cancel, right?

gpsman said:
I got a red one- which some web sites are now calling "burgundy". Or wine color. Not red red. Not fire engine red. Not Ferrari red. A very beautiful rich classy dark red. And the "tint coat" means it is not clear coated. It is top coated with translucent red like a candy apple. Nightfall gray was my second choice.

I do think this car is LARGER and more capable than anyone expected. It looks small. But because of small hood and no trunk this car is ALL PASSENGER SPACE nearly nose to tail.

I think Tesla just lost half their 400k pre orders.
You get your Tesla deposit back if you cancel, right?

I choose white because I thought it was the safest choice, given that you could only choose the color from pictures. However, when I saw a red one on the road, I really liked it. Should have gotten it in red.

Oh well . . . it's leased and I can get a red one in 3 years if they still offer the color then. LOL!!

Agree that the car is larger inside than it appears from the outside. Think I read somewhere that GM planned it that way. Tesla is doing the same thing w/the M3.

There definitely is NOT enough trunk space but there's enough for trips to the grocery store. If you need to carry luggage, you can just drop down the seats. However, that only works if you're not carrying on than 1 or 2 passengers. Works for me because I live alone, never carry more than 1 passenger and have other vehicles available if I need to do so.

The M3 has the same trunk issues but it is even less practical than the Bolt because it's not a hatchback. They say they've enlarged the trunk "lid" opening and the seats will drop down to provide up to 5'6" of load length which will be more than in the Bolt. However, loading will still be impaired by the limited trunk opening. A trade off to styling.

See: https://electrek.co/2016/08/17/tesla-model-3-back-seats-fold-flat-cargo-space/

I've still got a $1k deposit on an M3 and it is refundable. Frankly, I don't think I'm going to get an M3 because it would require me to trade-in or sell my BMW 335i for it.

Don't see any great advantage doing that because the 335i is just a toy for me. Hardly drive it. Keep it because it's cheap and fun to drive. The M3 would cost me more $ to buy/lease and I don't see any great advantage of giving up my 335i to have one.

I'll make my decision when the M3 comes out and I actually have a chance to see and drive one. Might change my mind. Unlikely but it might happen.

I am however thinking about trading in (or selling) the 335i for a used Model S. A much bigger "upgrade" in performance and quality if I do that. The major concern w/an older EV is battery degradation but reports are that the Model S batteries are holding up very well.

Will also make this decision when the M3 becomes available.

EZRyder said:
I was thinking the same thing: Is the Bolt a Tesla killer? I didn't think so before I got mine, but now I wonder. First comments I've heard from virtually everyone: "It's a cool looking car. Better than I thought.". I have the Cajun Red, which I think is the classiest color, with the dark gray one in second place. Never thought I'd own a red car.

But back to Tesla vs Bolt... I think the Bolt was VERY well thought out. Very ergonomic - even the seats. I don't have a big problem with them, and found them to be comfortable enough on long rides. Unlike my Mercedes. My only isue is getting over the hump on the left side when getting out.

There is tons of leg room. The touch screen is a great size and not as goofy looking at the one in the Model S. That thing is just too big and sticks out and small text and all that. I think for the money, it's going to be hard to beat the Bolt. The Model 3 will cost more, and at 6'4", I'm not sure if I'll fit in it any better than the Bolt. I truly enjoy driving the Bolt - and I've had a Spark EV for 2 ful years, and also loved it.

The bolt is about $2,500 more than the model 3, and that's including the supercharger access. there are YouTube videos of the model 3 reveal with riders taller than you that fit just fine. I wouldn't worry about that. enjoy the bolt, love the color.

Dgodfrey said:
The bolt is about $2,500 more than the model 3, and that's including the supercharger access. there are YouTube videos of the model 3 reveal with riders taller than you that fit just fine. I wouldn't worry about that. enjoy the bolt, love the color.

No one really knows what a Model 3 will cost yet.

The true cost of a Bolt LT w/the comfort and convenience packages and DCFC, which most seem to have is closer to $40k than $37.5k. Premier models cost a $2-3k more.

The $35k figure used for the M3 is for a "basic" model. Just like the $37.5k figure has been used for a basic Bolt. Speculation is that a fully loaded M3 w/Autopilot, Supercharging, a 85kw battery and Ludicrous might cost as much as $50-60k.

See: http://www.teslarati.com/what-options-tesla-model-3-reservation-holders-looking-for/

But, again, no one really knows. Speculation also is that only "fully loaded" M3's will be made 1st and that anyone wanting a "basic" model will have to wait longer for one.

The M3 will be a much nicer car but you'll pay for it and reliability remains a question. Tesla seems to have worked out the problems w/the Model S and the Model 3 will not have the complexity of the Model X, so the Model 3 should have fewer problems than its predecessors.

Back