Autonomous Bolt gets rear-ended

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evguy

And it wasn't even the Bolt EV's fault!
Which I think is a great argument for autonomous driving - the computer saw the flashing yellow light and stopped, the human didnt :)

“The accident, according to a report by the California DMV, which by state law collects accident reports that must be filed when self-driving cars crash, occurred Feb. 16 in the 1100 block of Golden Gate Avenue.”

“As the Bolt slowed, then stopped for blinking yellow lights and a crosswalk at the intersection with Buchanan Street just before 9 a.m., a Toyota Highlander behind it followed suit, according to the report.”

“A Subaru behind the Highlander failed to stop and rammed into the back of the Toyota, which lurched forward into the autonomous Bolt, according to the report.”

Autonomous-Chevy-Bolt.jpg

From here:http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Self-driving-car-involved-in-SF-accident-10958654.php

I'm most curious what the Bolt did after being hit - did it park itself? Did it alert the authorities by itself? Did it even know it was hit, or would it try to continue driving even if it was injured?

I could see that being a problem if a wheel or steering device is damaged. The Bolt could think it's turning and just go straight into something

Back