Public charging

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoffman2

When I'm at a public charging station, the device that you insert into the car will not continue with contact to charge the car unless I stand there and physically hold the nozzle up. Is there a way to hold a charger in place at? My Bolt will not make contact unless I stand there and hold it up the entire time. I'm obviously new and am struggling. Thanks for the help.

Welcome jhoffman2,

Assuming this is at a DC fast charge station .. Does this happen at more than one facility, different charging provider?

I've had this happen before the 'nozzle' clicks into the car & locks it into the CCS port on the car during the Charger/Bolt 'handshake' communication process. Once that process is complete i've never had to keep holding up on the device.

When certain older DCFC stations 'time out' due to some kind of problem within the station restarting the charge by returning the 'nozzle' to it's saddle and then plugging into the car again usually works to continue.

AJ

AyeJay said:
Welcome jhoffman2,

Assuming this is at a DC fast charge station .. Does this happen at more than one facility, different charging provider?

I've had this happen before the 'nozzle' clicks into the car & locks it into the CCS port on the car during the Charger/Bolt 'handshake' communication process. Once that process is complete i've never had to keep holding up on the device.

When certain older DCFC stations 'time out' due to some kind of problem within the station restarting the charge by returning the 'nozzle' to it's saddle and then plugging into the car again usually works to continue.

AJ

Yes, this is a Chargepoint fast charger. The same thing has happened at a variety of stations. They all look like new charging stations. I've read reviews and others have not had issues with these chargers. What am I doing wrong?

You should hear a 'buzz..click' sound a few seconds after you start a charge? That's the 'nozzle' locking into the car. If that's not happening there's a problem with the car and dealer service is needed.
AJ

AyeJay said:
You should hear a 'buzz..click' sound a few seconds after you start a charge? That's the 'nozzle' locking into the car. If that's not happening there's a problem with the car and dealer service is needed.
AJ

It clicks at home with my charger. I'm trying to figure out public charging for when I go on a trip.
Jill

Jill,

The click you're hearing as you plug your level 2 home charger into the car is simply a physical latch catching the tab on the standard j1772 'nozzle'. When you unplug it at home again you push the button on top of the J1772 'nozzle' disengaging the physical latch to remove it from the car.

At a public DCFC station when you plug the CCS 'nozzle' into the car and then activate a charge through that station's software (with a credit card account in a cell phone app or with an RFID card) the latch is activated via an electric solenoid device. You can cancel a charge and remove the 'nozzle' by pushing the button on top similar to your level 2 home charger but the difference is that the DCFC latch has a delayed electrically activated release.

Having a basket full of charging accounts from different providers to activate a charge can be cumbersome but some like 'Electrify America' just work with a credit card on the front of the DCFC unit. There's a learning curve and lots of different pricing structures involved for sure.

EVgo currently has a "Plug & Charge" setup you can sign up for that makes it so the BOLT just starts charging automatically when the CCS connector is engaged with the car. An EVgo charging account is still required.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/09/22/evgo-gives-all-evs-plug-charge-capabilities-with-autocharge/

AJ

If you are a AAA member, EVGo has a membership plan that has no monthly fee and provides a discount.

EA has a membership plan that costs $4 per month and provides a discount.

Back