2017 Silver Bolt Premier

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adopterearly

I got my silver 2017 Premier on Jan. 20, 2017. It was the 12th one sold in Redwood City, CA. My Bolt's first year's electricity was subsidized by CA at $0.10/kWH, which is bargain in CA. I installed solar panels 5 years ago and have not paid for electricity, including my Bolt's 6,000 miles/year since. That will change since we recently added a 2023 Prius Prime, and electric rates are presently cheaper than gasoline in $$/mile. Since I didn't get the Bolt with the Level 3 charging system, it has not made any long trips and has been charged in my garage 99% of the time.

About 18 months after I took it home, the remaining miles dropped from 48 to 0 in 20 seconds. After being towed home it accepted the charge and was back to 240 miles by morning. GM replaced the battery shortly afterward, since OnStar notified them of the problem. That battery was replaced on a recall ~2 years ago. I hope to get another 3 years out of this car. I heard that CA requires all electric cars to have a 10-year warranty instead of the standard 8 years from Chevy.

Photos to follow.

CA requires that HYBRIDS have a 10 year/ 150K mile warranty (including PHEVs). I know of no special law in Calif for pure EVs.

CA requires that HYBRIDS have a 10 year/ 150K mile warranty (including PHEVs). I know of no special law in Calif for pure EVs.
Thanks for that. I'll check with my long term EV owner colleagues who are better connected to the EV and CA govt. communities.

My 2023 California Bolt EUV warranty manual says that the required California warranty is
"7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first for Emissions related parts [...] your vehicle to fail a Smog Check inspection,"
That seems related to gasoline-burning vehicles, like the hybrids that you mentioned. There is no Smog Check Inspection for BEVs. (My Honda Civic Hybrid failed the only smog check it ever had, with a bad battery at 210,000 miles and 13 years, with a hybrid battery failure.)
Ignoring the "Smog Check" caveat, the covered items listed are all ICE related, with the possible exception of "Diagnostic Emissions Critical - Electronic Control Units (8/80), Engine Control Module (8/80), Transmission Control Module (8/80)"

But those California warranty requirements are surpassed by the basic Chevrolet warranty of 8 years, 100,000 miles.

Chevrolet Manuals are available online.

Back