Autonomous Chevrolet Bolts Now Testing In Arizona

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen

The General Motors Cruise LLC partnership has been testing autonomous Chevrolet Bolts out in San Francisco since May of this year.

Now, Cruise Automation announced last week, via Twitter, that the testing has expanded to Scottsdale, Arizona too.

“We’re testing @Cruise autonomous tech on @Chevrolet Bolt EVs on roads in Scottsdale, AZ, in addition to San Fran.”

There’s no additional information beyond that Tweet, but we do know that GM intends to incorporate Bolts into Lyft, – and that the ride sharing service will be one of the first to receive production copies of the 200+ mile EV at the end of this year.

So we can assume that there’s some self-driving, car-sharing or ride-sharing aspect to this testing.

http://insideevs.com/autonomous-chevrolet-bolts-now-testing-arizona/

MINK said:
What do they mean by self-driving, car sharing?
You use a phone app to book a car to take you to a given destination and the car drives itself to your door, and then drives you to your destination - all without a driver.

I'd guess that such a scenario is probably still a fair way off. My understanding is that the plan with Lyft is to trial out this mode of operation using cars that have an "attendant" - someone who could take over the controls and drive the car if it did something unsafe. And even that has nothing to do with the special rentals for Lyft drivers that will be available when the Bolt comes out later this year - those cars are just ordinary, non-self-driving cars.

SeanNelson said:
MINK said:
What do they mean by self-driving, car sharing?
You use a phone app to book a car to take you to a given destination and the car drives itself to your door, and then drives you to your destination - all without a driver.

I'd guess that such a scenario is probably still a fair way off. My understanding is that the plan with Lyft is to trial out this mode of operation using cars that have an "attendant" - someone who could take over the controls and drive the car if it did something unsafe. And even that has nothing to do with the special rentals for Lyft drivers that will be available when the Bolt comes out later this year - those cars are just ordinary, non-self-driving cars.

Thanks, man. I think it's possible since Google's self-driving tech is coming soon.

There is a lot of autonomous testing going on right now. There is some interesting views for and against self driving technology

Back