Did not stop or slow in low

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve2150

Was pulling my 2 week old Premier into my garage at slow speed driving in L and took my foot off the accelerator expecting it to stop like it does but just kept rolling forward till I applied the brakes, got the message service park assist. Also what does the Ready mean near the Gear display

Here's a link to a downloadable copy (pdf) of the owner's manual :

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2017/Chevrolet/BOLT%20EV/Owner%27s%20Manual.pdf

serching the manual (it took about 15 seconeds with the pdf version) finds the following on page 139 :

SERVICE PARK ASSIST SYSTEM
This message displays if there is a problem with the Parking Assist system. Do not use this system to help you park. See your dealer for
service.

Personally, I'd bring the car to the dealer for service.

steve2150 said:
...what does the Ready mean near the Gear display
It means the car is "On". Unlike an ICE vehicle, you can't tell whether the car is on or not by the sound or vibration, so the "Ready" light provides you with that information.

I noticed on another Bolt forum that he posted a picture of the main screen - his car was fully charged, apparently.

The "regenerative braking" doesn't work with a full battery - there is no place to put the electricity.

attachment.php

That was my first thought, but then I decided "No, that's nuts - even GM wouldn't make an error message appear just because the pack is full!" Live and learn, I guess.

No that’s not it.

L will not hold the car in place if your seat belt is off.
This is to prevent you from getting out of the car with the gear select in L.

L also only holds you still on FLAT surfaces.
Hill Hold (or assist whatever they call it) will apply the brakes and hold you still on STEEP inclines.

The car (my car) always rolls in L if I am on a gradual slope. Or if said seat belt is off. Or if you lift your butt off the seat (to get your wallet out) and the weight sensor thinks you got out. This last one is dumb and a hazard.

When at a McDonalds drive thru in L I arched my back to lift my butt to get my wallet out. The car started to roll since my foot was not on the brake.
I almost hit the car in front of me.

LeftieBiker said:
That was my first thought, but then I decided "No, that's nuts - even GM wouldn't make an error message appear just because the pack is full!" Live and learn, I guess.

gpsman said:
The car (my car) always rolls in L if I am on a gradual slope.
I've found that it's much better at holding stopped on an uphill slope than on a downhill slope. On a slight to moderate uphill slope it will come to a gradual stop, then roll back very slightly before stopping completely. On anything more than a very slight downgrade it simply won't stop completely and you have to use the brake pedal.

I always use the brake pedal when the car is stopped, but on level ground or uphill slopes I don't apply it until the car has stopped itself, since the car stops more smoothly than I can.

Back