EV Market Share In The US Stays Under 1% For October – Graphs

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laev

This is surprising to me. I know we are not going to have high numbers in this area as of yet but 1% is so low

111-3-750x419.png

The pace of plug-in car sales growth in U.S. slowed in October, as a major manufacturer (Tesla) regenerates after an end of quarter/September rush…and prepares for a late year push.
Overall, an estimated 10,832 sales (full details here) translated to a raw 9.1% increase year-over-year, but up 17.5% on an adjusted basis (as Nov 2015 had 26 selling days as compared to 28 in 2015).

Against the ~1,370,700 vehicles sold overall in the US for October, EV market share stood at 0.79% – up slightly from 2015; but when compared to recent months in 2016 (that have been showing consistent results over 0.85%, and a record 1.18% in September), October was a bit of a pullback.

As noted, this slowdown can mostly be attributed to Tesla’s shifted delivery priorities from October to the back end of this quarter, leaving a vacuum of sorts in its wake. To that end (and with the arrival of the Chevy Bolt EV and Toyota Prius Prime), we expect a number around 1.5% will be logged in December, bringing the net quarter result above the 1% level.

The average market share so far this year stands at 0.83%, while the total new sales now exceed 120,500. With two months to go, the US is nearly above its record of 122,438 EVs sold in a single calendar year (set in 2014).

Meanwhile, the Chevrolet Volt with 2,191 sales last month was the best selling model for October, which enabled GM to take top spot among manufacturers (2,454) as the last of the Chevrolet Spark EVs gave GM one final push higher......

http://insideevs.com/ev-market-share-in-the-us-stays-under-1/

This is such a crappy graph for representing the subject. No where on the graph does it indicate a percentage of total and graphing months in the x axis with bars representing years is just stupid.

Sheesh, they need to learn some 5th grade math and graphing skills.

Yeah I would have to consider it's all lies as I have read reports that contradict this

DNAinaGoodWay said:
The EV market needs two things:

More types of vehicles with longer range at lower prices.

Higher priced carbon fuels.

I like how your first "thing" is actually three things. More types of vehicles. Longer range. Lower price.

I will start this off with stressing imo....
Western Canada has definitely added recognition and convenience to driving an electric vehicle but in no way does it compare to the state of California For western Canada only ,specifically talking about the province of British Columbia, there is not enough involvement on behalf of the automaker's making the electrical vehicle mainstream There are a ton of hybrids here but not a lot of phev and even less full EV. I think the statistic is low in the grapg but I do believe it could increase with a purposeful Media or marketing plan to enforce the electrical vehicle as mainstream. Again this is soley my antidotal non-empirical opinion of what I see as I search out what type of electric vehicle or Phev I would like to buy next

DNAinaGoodWay said:
The EV market needs two things:

More types of vehicles with longer range at lower prices.

Higher priced carbon fuels.

I don't think it needs higher priced carbon fuels. I calculated the cost of electricity to drive a Bolt, and then compared it to a gasoline powered car, and the cost of gasoline was three times as much! I would save $6000 in 3 years! That's a chunk of money.

The Bolt EV is a game changer. It's reasonably priced, has enough range for getting around any large metro area, requires almost no maintenance, has great performance, lots of interior room, and is inexpensive to operate. Once people catch on to this, they will sell.

Michael

But will they catch on? I've driven a Leaf over 4 years now, and I'd like a Bolt, and a lot of other EV enthusiasts will, but the general public? Not so sure. Most of them are perfectly happy with what they have now. They don't see or feel any good reason to switch. To them, they're still too expensive. They don't trust battery life. They don't want to deal with charging, see it as a hassle. They still won't think the range is good enough. Some of them think it's a liberal plot, with incentives stealing their tax dollars. Higher gas prices might drive some to it, but oil prices are still dropping so no incentive there. Plus, no trucks or SUVs. What I expect the Bolt will do is to take sales from other EVs, until the Model 3 arrives. And it should encourage other OEMs to compete. But the overall segment probably won't grow much.

Back